HybridZ

LS1 240 mounts (facts not opinion???)

Why don't you save up, buy every kit out there and publish an artical on here, maybe return the kits you don't use? Maybe the kit makers will even provide the kits, kinda like a Car Craft documentary. You can post pics and really get the facts instead of taking our testimonials.

Why don't you save up, buy every kit out there and publish an artical on here, maybe return the kits you don't use? Maybe the kit makers will even provide the kits, kinda like a Car Craft documentary. You can post pics and really get the facts instead of taking our testimonials.

Well I assumed a community of hybrid Z owners would be a good source...... I thought I was doing everyone a service who possibly wanted to understand each kits strengths and weaknesses for future builders. I will gladly keep my opinions and research to myself if you wish. Too bad really, I anticipated a great amount of information from your vast background. Best of luck to all future builders.

A good source yes, but everybody has a different model z and hasn't tried more than 1 or 2 kits. Cars are stressed out and rusty, therefore no two cars are the same exact fit tolerance wise. Especially with all the new kits coming out not many have tried them all or completely finished the builds. Don't get your panties in a wad when somebody gave a legitimate suggestion of something similar to a car craft build. It's an awesome idea! That would be a real service to the forum, especially since the 240z has a smaller trans tunnel.

Best of luck to you too...

A good source yes, but everybody has a different model z and hasn't tried more than 1 or 2 kits. Cars are stressed out and rusty, therefore no two cars are the same exact fit tolerance wise. Especially with all the new kits coming out not many have tried them all or completely finished the builds. Don't get your panties in a wad when somebody gave a legitimate suggestion of something similar to a car craft build. It's an awesome idea! That would be a real service to the forum, especially since the 240z has a smaller trans tunnel.

Best of luck to you too...

Please don't misunderstand. My panties are not in a wad.... I was legitimately trying to vet out what would and would not work with, as you said, all of the new kits coming out. I'm not some dumb kid with a pipe dream. I've been building and racing cars at multiple levels for many many years.... The jci kit is a good standard and has been around the longest , however like most aspects of cars and racing applications, enthusiasts pursue "better" stronger lighter faster..... That's why there are so many new kits coming to market. The goal was/is to surround yourself with other enthusiasts for collective thinking and a better outcome. Yes, every car and swap will differ a little and need some massaging with a 3 lb sledge, but that's all good since it adds to the discussion. RBZ post came across to me as "shut up and build your shit already, we are tired of you asking us....." Not a "legitimate suggestion" Maybe I'm wrong, it doesn't really matter. Look how many people have viewed the thread (over 3000). I think there are quite a few potential LS1 Z swappers out there that would love to know more. Anyway, I never intended to piss anyone off, I was just having fun on a Z forum that I have enjoyed and learned a lot from. I still plan to compile a complete list of kits with current options and complete list of kits/parts that can be blended if desired. Ill just do the research solo from now on. Thanks, Jim aka trackzpeed Edited by trackzpeed

I didn't mean to make you upset. It was a legit suggestion. Why are so many folks so emotionally raw on forums? Not just you (so please don't take this personally), seems like everybody is just one post from the nuthouse, like road rage in rush hour traffic. It was a sincere suggestion. I just don't know that you are gonna get what you are after until you hold the pieces in your hands, and mock them up on the car. Plus, i think you are after truth, not second-hand testimonialls, which is what we are a giving you. Travis's point was correct-we really only know about the particular kit we used ourselves. I will be happy to take any measurements or photos that will help you on your quest. You might also PM forum member rags-he's probably done more swaps than anybody. I'm gonna go open a beer (yup, at 9 in the morning-I got more than one if you want to stop by) and work on my car-got a race coming up. And I'm low on motivation or I would be out there already instead of typing in bed with my thumbs.

Edited by RebekahsZ

I didn't mean to make you upset. It was a legit suggestion. Why are so many folks so emotionally raw on forums? Not just you (so please don't take this personally), seems like everybody is just one post from the nuthouse, like road rage in rush hour traffic. It was a sincere suggestion. I just don't know that you are gonna get what you are after until you hold the pieces in your hands, and mock them up on the car. Plus, i think you are after truth, not second-hand testimonialls, which is what we are a giving you. Travis's point was correct-we really only know about the particular kit we used ourselves. I will be happy to take any measurements or photos that will help you on your quest. You might also PM forum member rags-he's probably done more swaps than anybody. I'm gonna go open a beer (yup, at 9 in the morning-I got more than one if you want to stop by) and work on my car-got a race coming up.

Ok thanks... No harm no foul. I have read most if not all of your builds, trials and errors, and suggestions. I know you push your car hard so your input is highly regarded and useful. It's 7:30 in the morning so I'm going to grab a coffee, no hair of the dog for me lol, and watch my taped formula 1 run for the pole in Australia. Jim

CXRacing kit came last week, have old mounts out and new mounts in (man it took like 5 hours to get the old mounts out, stock bolt too rusted and rounded off, lots of grinding followed). Mounts are a nice aluminum while everything else is stainless. The exhaust (pipes,muffler,resonator)is a polished stainless, very nice looking, have new motor on the floor connected to my tr6060, will set it all in there soon. Heres a few pics for now:

IMG_20150313_160858474_zpsww8u3gva.jpg

IMG_20150313_171033846_zpswqvzk4fq.jpg

IMG_20150313_151932812_zpsg2e0rp6v.jpg

Edited by crapforum

The factory motor mounts, the part with the rubber in it that bolts to the mounting towers, old tranny crossmember also is no longer needed. Here is a couple more pictures, I'll open a build thread once I get further in.

IMG_20150316_211828558_zpsfr4b1ft3.jpg

IMG_20150316_211905169_zpsd2yzoz59.jpg

Subscribed already. Good luck with the build.

One thing NOT to try is mixing the CX Racing mounts with the Sanderson LS headers that fit the John's Cars mounts. I thought this might work, ordered the mounts and headers and failed miserably. There's no way to fit the passenger header with the CX Racing mount. I tried shortening the mounting plates on the CX Racing mounts and flipping them from side-to-side but there was no way to make them work. I'm posting this in case anyone else thought about trying this combination. In a word, DON'T! My John's Cars mounts are arriving via UPS today.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Mike.

I've been running the first set of john's cars engine mounts since 2003 and about 37,000 miles.  I can only speak to my specific mounts and they have given me no issues.  My car hasn't been driven as hard as a lot of guys here that are serious competitors but they have been subjected to some time road racing at Texas Motor Speedway, some quarter mile work at various tracks, some hill climbing, and a few trips to do some autocross work - not to mention the gentle thrashing I give the car nearly every time I drive it.  Looking back I think the only two things I wish I hadn't gotten of the Johns Cars components were the headers and the CableX box.  I didn't know that the tailshaft of the T56 could be modified for a mechanical output to go with my stock speedo and there weren't any other aftermarket headers available when the JCI headers were developed.

Bill

Mike.

I've been running the first set of john's cars engine mounts since 2003 and about 37,000 miles.  I can only speak to my specific mounts and they have given me no issues.  My car hasn't been driven as hard as a lot of guys here that are serious competitors but they have been subjected to some time road racing at Texas Motor Speedway, some quarter mile work at various tracks, some hill climbing, and a few trips to do some autocross work - not to mention the gentle thrashing I give the car nearly every time I drive it.  Looking back I think the only two things I wish I hadn't gotten of the Johns Cars components were the headers and the CableX box.  I didn't know that the tailshaft of the T56 could be modified for a mechanical output to go with my stock speedo and there weren't any other aftermarket headers available when the JCI headers were developed.

Bill

What don't you like about the headers? What else works (headers) with the jci kit that you would do different today?

The original JCI headers had 1.5" primaries. Other kits I've seen have 1.625 or 1.75" primaries. LS motors like to breathe so bigger primaries are better. Don't know what size the JCI primaries are now but I would investigate options.

My car has a totally stock '98 Camaro LS1 that GM rated at 305HP. Mine dyno'd at 325?at the rear wheels so I don't think the smaller primaries hurt it too much.

The headers that JTR sells that fit the JCI mounts are made with 1.75" tubing. That's what I have. I'm using a TKO600 with an Autoworks shifter extension because the TKO600 shift lever is only 19.75" back from the front face of the transmission, which is way too short of the shifter hole in the tunnel.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

You'll be in good shape header wise then.  I had a '99 T56 that i put a Hurst shifter on and then used a modified Z shift lever to actuate. The Z shift lever looks like a stock shifter except for the ball on top with the 6-spd pattern and "Hurst" on the side.

Are you sticking with the stock tank or going with a fuel cell?  I kept my stock tank as the '77 was already fuel injected.  Used the stock supply and return lines and located the new, higher capacity/pressure pump in the stock location in the passenger rear fenderwell.

When I ran my exhaust I ran 2.5' to an X pipe and then back on both sides.  On the stock side I ran it in the stock location.  On the passenger side I put in an oval piece where it went under rear suspension as there wasn't an oval cut out of the member there.  I then wrapped both pipes over to the driver side and into a dual inlet Magnaflow muffler so it came out in the stock location and I didn't have to mess with the fuel tank.