HybridZ

Snapping stub axles.. Now what?

So a few of you may know the car from LS1tech. It's the twin turbo 370ci LS 6spd in the FI section. Well this weekend I went to make a Few more shake down passes and ended up snapping the driver side outer stub shaft. This was on a 3k launch (heated NT05r tires) currently the car has the short nose R200 VLSD along with the MM axle upgrades. I'm not sure what stub axles I have as I haven't pulled them yet, pretty sure they are the stock 27spline units. I have a car on my lift at the moment. Well long story short I don't really want to deal with this crap ever again. Habe any of you guys tried the upgraded outer 39 spline stub axles? Anyone broken one?

I know there are a few guys beating up the 8.8IRS and we all know a SRA can take the abuse. I'm curious to hear from any other guys who have more than a handful of passes on the 8.8 or other IRS setups. I really don't want to go SRA as A. I don't want to alter factory suspension location (street class rules) B. Going SRA will require a lot of downtime and sheet metal work which I don't want to do.

If anyone here is making 800+ on IRS please chime in. I realize this isn't the drivetrain section but I figured the guys who have to worry about stuff like this are lingering in the V8 section anyhow

FA24194D-2A92-429A-AC78-705D983A31BF_zps

Edited by thezguy

From the video, it sounds like it (they?) were already broken. Possibly from the previous launch? Either way, they're toast.

Somewhat surprised you got it to hook enough on those 18"? rims to do that.

8.8 Here, with porsche 930 CV's, 31 spline inners, 29 spline outers (240sx) and Its holding up great.  Don't know the power the car is making, but it traps 150+, and cut a 1.400 60'.

Edited by SUNNY Z

From the video, it sounds like it (they?) were already broken. Possibly from the previous launch? Either way, they're toast.

Somewhat surprised you got it to hook enough on those 18"? rims to do that.

8.8 Here, with porsche 930 CV's, 31 spline inners, 29 spline outers (240sx) and Its holding up great.  Don't know the power the car is making, but it traps 150+, and cut a 1.400 60'.

The car is on 17X11" rims. Those NT05r tires are sticky as hell.. Plus royal purple raceway is one of the best tracks in the country. Minimal wheel hop on the burnout but it's possible they had some fractures from the previous passes (3) Im thinking about buying the checkered flag 39spline stub axles and trying my luck. I was reading through some old threads and saw you bought them back in the day. How did those work for you and when you ended up going 8.8 why didn't you keep them seeing as they are quite a bit larger than any other option out there.

I have mine up and running.  the car is back at PowerFab getting the cage done and a few other things wrapped up over the next 2 weeks.  Feel free to go by and check the set up out in person.  I know you were there not too long ago and beat me on the dyno by 20whp... ( *******....lol)

As soon as I can get it back we can meet up as well.

I have mine up and running.  the car is back at PowerFab getting the cage done and a few other things wrapped up over the next 2 weeks.  Feel free to go by and check the set up out in person.  I know you were there not too long ago and beat me on the dyno by 20whp... ( *******....lol)

As soon as I can get it back we can meet up as well.[/quote

Yeah we where checking your car out while we where there. That thing was making some good power on low boost.have you turned it up? Seems like there is a lot more in it. My tune looked like crap though :( we have since cleaned it up and turned the boost up a little. It's probably around 800 at the moment.

Thanks for the offer man, I think I'll stop by and check it out. I am trying to avoid a full on rear end swap but I don't want drop $1500 on stub axles to then have them break.. Appearently the ones you are using are 31 spline from the F-150? To my knowledge the Z32 and 39 spline checkered flag units are actually larger?

Yeah, I have 31 spline units.  from what I can remember.  I haven't turned it up yet.  I want the cage in it, I have been driving around on borrowed time/....... no seatbelts, no passenger seat, and the driver's seat hasn't even been secured fully.  I have some kinks to work out.  I am switching to camber plates in the front and rear so that will eliminate the factory rubber isolators. 

it is sitting at 8lbs of boost right now and is just violent......... it is hard to explain but with your car being where it is you understand.......

Stock outter stub axles are worthless. I used to snap them left and right when only making 550rwhp running high 9's.  I am using the Modern Motorsport ones, sucks that Ross is gone!

Agreed. However joe@checkered flag makes some. They are pricey though.. Are you still on the MM rear end?

It would have been nice for a lot of people in the community if someone would have been able to buy the rights to his business and have kept it going........

If you look at checkered flag S/N he has MM website in his signature.. Maybe he did just that?

SunnyZ-how many passes now on your 8.8 setup? Texas300-you are Will's test machine-you gotta get some slicks and do your duty at the strip! Honestly guys, controlling 800 hp has got to be tough. If I ever get started on and finish this winter's (almost spring) mods I hope to try the clutch slipper hydraulic mod next year. Our problem with manual trans is all that stored energy hitting a slack drivetrain. If we had autos we wouldn't have most of this trouble.

Edited by RebekahsZ

SunnyZ-how many passes now on your 8.8 setup? Texas300-you are Will's test machine-you gotta get some slicks and do your duty at the strip! Honestly guys, controlling 800 hp has got to be tough.

I agree. I want to see some more abuse from the outer stubs.. I wouldn't be apposed to buying wills uprights/shock tubes and adapting not them to my curent setup. That way I could be a few steps towards an 8.8 swap. Only problem would be a companion plunge mating the ford 31spline stub axle to my 6 bolt Nissan CV

We had a weather forecast for ice that wound up being rain. Cancelled morning clinic to keep the old ladies from killing themselves on the bridges. So I'm mid-morning texting like a state employee! Might watch some Days of Our Lives here in a minute. Anyway, if you were running stock stubs, then you must still be 4-lug? Me too. The CF stubs are drilled for both 4 and 5 lug. So far nobody has snapped them. Put antiseize on them and be careful-they are easy to cross thread and gall. If you switch to those (I think CF has a 6-bolt companion flange (?)) and you will be looking for the next weak link, which I predict will be the mounting of the front of your diff. But there is always a weak link, even if it is your oil pan coming down off a big wheelie! I'm definitely not against the 8.8 IRS and I think Will and SunnyZ are fabricating gods.

There have been a couple people that have snapped the chromoly stubs from MM, and CF has them made by the same people. The limiter is the size of the shaft. regardless of the spline count, the shaft is still a fairly puny 1.25" diameter. Ultimately the 8.8 with bigger stubs from American FWD applications are going to be the best bet, but they require the switch to different brakes, struts, etc. The CF stuff is strong enough for 99% of the people out there anyway, it's the hardcore drag racers that need to worry about it. That's my $.02 anyway.

Edited by JMortensen