HybridZ

Engine worth it for application?

Russ15

Hey guys, craigslist has an engine up for sale for $200 that has a F54 block and a P79 head.  I am wanting to go the turbo route and I know the flat top pistons aren't the best choice over the dished.  My questions is, is it worth it to buy it and switch out the head to a P90 or pass on this one? 

Sorry I meant along with switching out the pistons and etc.. I found some good links of the differences/similarities between the heads here.  Think I'll hold off for a complete turbo engine (L28et) as this will be my first rebuild. 

Edited by Russ15

If you're "rebuilding" to specs. for a turbo engine and you're buying new pistons anyway then all you really need is a good block and head to start with.  $200 for a basic 280ZX NNA engine isn't bad, if it's in decent shape.  Beats the typical wrecking yard price.  L28ET engines are hard to come by.  

I'll have to take a look at it in person to really see.  The engine is being pulled from a parts car and the picture of the engine makes it hard to make out what the true condition is.  He told me it was running recently but needs new injectors (would be switching those out anyway) and that the fuel pump works.  Here's the picture that was sent to me. 

You can't tell much from external appearance.  I had a fine-looking engine (they all look the same really) that was high miles, worn valve guides and old seals, only ran well after I beat on it.  If you can't drive it or hear it run, you're at the same level of knowledge as a wrecking yard engine, except that most wrecking yards have a replacement guarantee.

• 2 weeks later...