HybridZ

Goodbye, Mr. K.

BLOZ UP

I had the opportunity and pleasure to meet him at several Z conventions and to be his driver a few times. Doing much more than the speed limit on a local highway at one point he just shook his head and asked if it was possible to go faster, faster, John, he said. I complied and he turned to me with that famous smile and all was right with the world.

We owe him big time for what he did....

I have his signature on one of the inspection doors of my Z, the former owner met him at a Z convention years ago , good to have a piece of DATSUN history.Thank you Mr K for the Z and the 510 . RIP.

Edited by PLATA

The "Faster Faster" urging was not only on the street. On a drivealong on a track with a well known (though younger) IMSA racer the driver climbed out of the car saying "I was going as fast as I could and he just kept saying "FASTER! FASTER!" I thought he would be like most other car executives and start screaming to SLOW DOWN!"

Indeed, Mr. K was decidedly NOT like 'most other car executives'!

Godspeed Mr. K. Enjoy driving with your friends in the Togue in the sky!

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea. I read about the rally racing he did. Pouring gasoline of the clutch all race long as oil was dripping on it. They finished not due to the speed but rather the reliability.

I was also amazed that he got sent to LA (Gardina?) to launch the Datsun dist. This was due to him being a "trouble maker" in the company. Never met him. I thought he as dead awhile ago.

RIP, cheers, Mr Yutaka Katayama!