HybridZ

Back at it....

Hi Folks,

Most of you don't know me. I've been a member of the datsun forums for many years and as we all know, life happens. Anyways, I'm Hoover, and been involved with cars for many years and a pro-builder today.

Since Mr. K's passing, it got me to thinking about my Z cars and how guilty I feel for letting them sit for so long. The other day, I made a move to resuce them out of my storeage building and place a huge order with Motorsport Auto to repair them etc......it's far more work than one order can handle, but it's a start.

Here's my Orange Z car. Owned it for 16 years, maybe more. I brought it back to my shop to begin work.

New wheels purchased today and lots of broken parts ordered for restoration the other day.

post-9962-0-92401600-1424935567_thumb.jpg

It's been stored quite some time-

post-9962-0-61458400-1424935663_thumb.jpg

My other Z is wide and turbocharged, but in pieces......this one scares me and is going to take more than a parts order to assemble. I'm going to remove the flares and gnose and build a ZG style body out of it.

post-9962-0-29472900-1424935746_thumb.jpg

Here's a build for one of my customers. near ground up restoration.

post-9962-0-03720600-1424935790_thumb.jpg

Parts should start arriving as early as Monday.

I'll post my progress here.

Feels great to work on my own cars again. I can't wait to drive it on an early weekend morning.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-9962-0-29855900-1424936788_thumb.jpg

engines out of storage....

well, looks like I can't find my Electramotive Tech3R......shoot! here goes another 2k I didn't expect.

The orange car is a 3.2 ltr. , twm, electramotive, zx 5 spd., 4.11 ls in the works......

well, looks like I can't find my Electramotive Tech3R......shoot! here goes another 2k I didn't expect.

I'm glad I'm not the only person having that issue... "I know that EFI was in a box here someplace!"

Hoover: "Junior Member" 

Bwahahaha!

Man, I hope you PNO'd the 2003 car....or otherwise, well....you left it sit long enough it should be off the rolls! LOL

When did your flared, turbo car go into storage off the roads? I have to think we shelved ours both about the same time...

The thought of them both coming back into SoCal at the same time would trigger some sort of time-space anomaly.

Edited by Tony D

Welcome back!  Do you still have your turbo-hose business going?

Yes, believe it or not, that business is still around.

I also have my own full race car shop- fabrication, dyno, engine machine shop etc..... for maybe 15 years or so...

This is my latest project-

I designed it on paper, full tube frame chassis and should have it on the race track in 3 months.....

post-9962-0-31554600-1424961404_thumb.jpg

I'm glad I'm not the only person having that issue... "I know that EFI was in a box here someplace!"

Bwahahaha!

Man, I hope you PNO'd the 2003 car....or otherwise, well....you left it sit long enough it should be off the rolls! LOL

When did your flared, turbo car go into storage off the roads? I have to think we shelved ours both about the same time...

The thought of them both coming back into SoCal at the same time would trigger some sort of time-space anomaly.

I don't remember my original screen name, I'm sure I had a little more than Junior- maybe not.

I hope so too. The red flared Z was even before that. I was going to turn it into a full race car, but pretty much lost track of it and now it's in pieces. :(

For a little while, I kept up with James Thagard but what else have all of you been up to?

Please post pics. of your cars etc......I need to get my brain juices back into Z mode!!!!!!

Nice an Armada pulling the Datsun, If one hadn't been so succesful in the 70's there would be no Nissan in the U.S. Thats my opinion and im sticking to it. B)

Thanks! Always been a Datsun/Nissan affidacios.

My Armada has 230k miles on it and is a work horse. I've towed more than 100k miles with it. The normal wear and tear is starting to show, especially the roof paint.

Yes, believe it or not, that business is still around.

I also have my own full race car shop- fabrication, dyno, engine machine shop etc..... for maybe 15 years or so...

I designed it on paper, full tube frame chassis and should have it on the race track in 3 months.....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Welcome back Hoover!  That looks like an pretty impressive project.  Any links to the shop?

Bwahahaha!

I found both of these envelopes sitting under a stack of mail; must have been there for a while.

Needless to say, I owe a couple hundred on each car. Can't say that I know where the pink slips are either, but that's easy to get, since both cars are under my name.

post-9962-0-62680600-1424968015_thumb.jpg

Welcome back Hoover!  That looks like an pretty impressive project.  Any links to the shop?

Hi Tim,

Thanks for remembering me, it's been a while! How are you?

James has told me that you've made some really big power out of the l28 turbo beast!

I mainly use social media and not often the website- turbohoses.com. there's a bunch of links to all else we do here.

thanks,

Hoover

post-9962-0-86580700-1424968678_thumb.jpg

The more I look at the interior, the older I feel- there's a tape deck and my younger son doesn't know what that is and I don't even have any.

My son plugs in my iphone to the truck every morning to listen to music on the way to school.

Now I have to install something that has the input for iphone etc...

more work.....

wish I lost the tape deck instead of the tech3r!!!!!!

OK......question folks-

I was looking around for unobtanium Z parts on Ebay- Man, the OEM parts are either impossible to get or uber expensive. BUT, the aftermarket parts are relatively inexpensive, IMO.

What's with all the rb26dett conversion kits for sale?

How much is an RB26dett nowadays? I still have all the stuff that James sold me years ago: oil pan, rb25 transmission, engine mounts etc.....

Does anyone make a wiring harness to a stand-a-lone ecu? I'd build more Z's, but don't want to get into all the R&D.

Welcome back Hoover! That looks like an pretty impressive project. Any links to the shop?

Thanks, Tim!

About 10 years ago, I started working on component vehicles to this very day.

I thought I'd give it a try and design my own brand.

The entire exterior body weighs 58lbs.

mid-engine v8, porsche transaxle and full Trans Am level competition chassis.

My street car won't have the door bars and more plush interior of course.

Edited by Hoover

post-9962-0-65652300-1424969541_thumb.jpg

not sure how far I want to get into this-

already spent a mint for parts in two days.

the engine bay paint is ok, but just ok. no rust or anything and it's all there, just not bright as I'd like.

These projects can and will get totally out of hand, so I'll just live with it.

The red Z i may not have a choice.....uhhhggggg.....maybe I should have left them.....

post-9962-0-82908200-1424970087_thumb.jpg

this is very inexpensive-

i paid with discount 1500.00 for the tech3 gt yesterday.

for 2000.00 more I could have a plug & pay for rb.

it just seems my Datsun career has had three life times-

1.Teenager

2. My first real turbo engine, which took 6 years at a shop and I ended up getting married and kids during that time.

3. Storage for 11-16 years.

Now here I am today...LOT older and maybe coming full circle.....??? You'd think I'd have one running by now....but I don't...I hope this time it works; atleast one of them!

Geese, I would have sold you my Tech 3.  I bought it like 7 years ago on ebay used and haven't used it yet.  One of these days I'll get around to it.

Looking forward to the progress. The Tape deck thing made me laugh.  I still miss going to the music store.

Hoover, on 26 Feb 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Heck yeah!  I stumbled across that last year when looking into a Rossion/Noble.

Looking forward to what you do with the Z projects and the HVR