HybridZ

Back at it....

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JSM, When I saw the tape deck, I just started cracking up!  I haven't seen one in lord knows how many years.

Losing the tech3r really set the pace.  I know I sent it back to the shop I bought it from since it failed on me and I removed it from the car before going to storage, but he has no recollection of it-  my fault in any case- Life happens and I pay the price for not being organized.

Hi Dan,

Thanks!!!

Next week, we're working on the HVR all week and for the remainder of March, then the race car is off to the track for testing.

I own 4 Nobles- two of them are full-out race cars.  We did podium at the SCCA National Runoff's in Gt-1 class last year.  An experience and expense that I will NEVER forget!  Now I'm broke, but still having fun!

Let me know if you are interested in a Noble.  I know everything about those cars and I mean everything!

Here's my Noble Race Car-

post-9962-0-14506200-1424981514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoover

I always wonder if I should have continued with Z/Nissan cars, maybe I would have been more established with that brand today- no regrets, however.  I know a lot more today and still learning.

Moving foward-

I'm considering installing an RB single turbo to the Red Z and doing a full in/out paint job.  It's already stripped down.  Time....if only I had more time....Money....if I only won the Lotto!!!!!

Man, it's been a life time and I think I have enough energy to do it one more time......

i was thinking of building a front caliper option out of some GTR brakes, would be a good restomod. and brand correct too!

Even on the used market, they are very expensive.

I'm going with AP Racing instead and hopefully a 13" rotor will fit under the 17" wheels....

post-9962-0-88418000-1424985585_thumb.jpg

it just seems my Datsun career has had three life times-

1.Teenager

2. My first real turbo engine, which took 6 years at a shop and I ended up getting married and kids during that time.

3. Storage for 11-16 years.

Now here I am today...LOT older and maybe coming full circle.....??? You'd think I'd have one running by now....but I don't...I hope this time it works; atleast one of them!

Why does this sound familiar? Hmmm, substitute "20-Something" for Teenager... Admit I started with Turbos since I was into VW's and then went to live in Japan where EVERYTHING was turboed in the 80's...and then return to Stateside for a few years of turbo driving and then....

"Storage for 15 or so years..."

Though, in the intervening years spare cash was spent buying parts to add to my JDM Hoarde that I brought back in '89.

Now, about that 'tape deck'.... Is it cartridge, or a two-holer? I got a cartridge (8-track) in my VW Bus, and a Cassette in the 73 Turbo Car. 

The Pioneer I just put in my Suzuki Turbo Kei Van (what was that about 'Turbotony'?) has a hard-to use CD (drop front cover to access) but has THREE USB's and an SD Card.... My girlfriend hit the SD Play by accident and got Death Metal which she found quite disturbing since she thought it was a radio broadcast LOL I literally have every album (yes, ALBUM) and CD I ever owned on that one SD Card in my radio... and the ability to Bluetooth from my iPhone and answer phone while listening. I'd be happy if they pulled out the CD Mechanism and put in a real four-channel AMP in the DIN chassis!

I digress...ain't progress great Hoover? LOL

Time....if only I had more time....Money....if I only won the Lotto!!!!!

Man, it's been a life time and I think I have enough energy to do it one more time......

I oftentimes dream I've been "rolled back" internally to 24 again...same terminal date total...but now just another 30 years until I reach it instead of 5... 

Youth is wasted on the young!

I oftentimes dream I've been "rolled back" internally to 24 again...same terminal date total...but now just another 30 years until I reach it instead of 5... 

Youth is wasted on the young!

Tony, that is hilarious!!!! I keep thinking I'm young and something keeps telling me to be in the car business, go to the track, get on the dyno, weld some parts etc...... I don't know how to grow up.

Oddly, a neighbor in one of the buildings next to my shop saw us fiddling with the Z car in the parking lot. He told me that his friend has one sitting in a backyard doing nothing......SO, I'm about to go look at it a trailer it back to my shop! WHY!!!!????? What the hell is wrong with me??? I have enough going on and just don't need another project.....or do I?!

Spent all day pricing an rb conversion and may use it to prototype....YES, I have issues!!!!!

Tony, when we going to grub! Maybe I'll come down to the Z car convention. I'm sure Motorsport would be happy to meet the guy that orders every single day for about the next month!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Why does this sound familiar? Hmmm, substitute "20-Something" for Teenager... Admit I started with Turbos since I was into VW's and then went to live in Japan where EVERYTHING was turboed in the 80's...and then return to Stateside for a few years of turbo driving and then....

"Storage for 15 or so years..."

Though, in the intervening years spare cash was spent buying parts to add to my JDM Hoarde that I brought back in '89.

Now, about that 'tape deck'.... Is it cartridge, or a two-holer? I got a cartridge (8-track) in my VW Bus, and a Cassette in the 73 Turbo Car. 

The Pioneer I just put in my Suzuki Turbo Kei Van (what was that about 'Turbotony'?) has a hard-to use CD (drop front cover to access) but has THREE USB's and an SD Card.... My girlfriend hit the SD Play by accident and got Death Metal which she found quite disturbing since she thought it was a radio broadcast LOL I literally have every album (yes, ALBUM) and CD I ever owned on that one SD Card in my radio... and the ability to Bluetooth from my iPhone and answer phone while listening. I'd be happy if they pulled out the CD Mechanism and put in a real four-channel AMP in the DIN chassis!

I digress...ain't progress great Hoover? LOL

I think it's a cassette. I don't think my son knows what driving around in a Z is like. He's used to my bmw and armada where things are kinda cushy. Little surprise coming up for him when he can't hear the music through the loud exhaust and that wonderful smell of exhaust fumes will make him think something is wrong with the car.....good times, here we come......

My son was 3 (so that makes this about 1995)  and I had one of the first 'baby fivepoint harnesses' that let a kid sit on the seat, but had a harness through the stock seat belt. We're driving along returning a rental Mustang and at a light and he looks at me saying "Make it make the Z-Car Sound Dad!"

I was kinda at a loss to what he meant, and I can see it clearly in my mind to this day. He looks forward and goes "GWAAAAK!" as the throws himself back into the seat like a launch, then changes pitch lower and goes "GWOOOOOK!" doing the same jerky motion, then again going "GWOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!" only this time he's pinned himself into the seat arching his back and his eyes are really, really big then relaxes and looks at me again and says "Like that!"

So he remembered. I took him cross-country when he was 8 using him as a navigator. Then again twice more before he was 12. When he turned 14 I let him drive on ElMirage in the Z... 

But that day, at that stop light... "Make it make the Z-Car Sound Dad!"

That was a great moment.

Later he would say "Lets take the black car!" No A/C... 100 degrees out and 'Lets take the black car! We can roll down the windows...if we go fast enough, the fumes are sucked out by the whale tail!"

PSSSSSSSSSSSHH SHHH SHHH SHHH!

post-9962-0-42676000-1425056128_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-77360800-1425056155_thumb.jpg

spent the morning looking around the parts shelves and found:

rb26dett to 240z oil pan, rb25det 5spd., rb25det driveshaft, r200 diff.(don't know if it's limited slip or gear ratio).....

I know at some point, I purchased a billet engine mount for the conversion, but lost that as well.... but, found a glove box door, so I guess that makes up for it....

going to spend some time on the RB area as well and purchase the engine mount kit as well....

Edited by Hoover

post-9962-0-26863200-1425059450_thumb.jpg

first two boxes arrived from Motorsport....

also opened an account with Raw Brokerage (rb26dett parts) this morning and received a quote for all the parts for an RB26dett future project.

I decided to see the Z that I was referred to at 4:00. I have no idea why I'm doing this, but it doesn't hurt to look.....I hope it's beyond repair for my sake....

Edited by Hoover

HOOVER - Things have changed hugely in the Z world in the past 10 years.  I was on the leading edge with the LS1 conversion back in 2003 but what we did then is almost dark ages now.  Huge - I mean huge - improvements in the areas of the drivetrain, braking, and suspension systems.  You could easily spend hours on this site searching out all the new stuff available.  If you have the shop and the $$$ then an S30 can be changed into a phenomenal vehicle. 

Have fun

what a long day..........had to work and make sure the company runs........

but excited to get things going!!!!

will spend the evening reading....

My friend, Andy Craig, National Auto-x/Road Race Champion in a Z car, came by today and will probably help me work on the Z car. He's done a bunch of v8 conversions, but since my car is more of a street driver, we'll still set it up the best we can....

Edited by Hoover

HOOVER - Things have changed hugely in the Z world in the past 10 years.  I was on the leading edge with the LS1 conversion back in 2003 but what we did then is almost dark ages now.  Huge - I mean huge - improvements in the areas of the drivetrain, braking, and suspension systems.  You could easily spend hours on this site searching out all the new stuff available.  If you have the shop and the $$$ then an S30 can be changed into a phenomenal vehicle. 

Have fun

Thanks so much!!!!

I can only imagine all the advances the past 10 years.

Lucky, I'm not racing this car and will probably refresh both of them and leave them to my kids when I'm long gone:(

For now, I'll rush to get one of them up and running and driving on the road within a month....I hope!