HybridZ

Back at it....

I always wonder if I should have continued with Z/Nissan cars, maybe I would have been more established with that brand today- no regrets, however.  I know a lot more today and still learning.

You're singing my song, Hoover. I also took a good 10 years off of my Z car hobby and suddenly i find myself obsessing over wheel option at 3am, plotting how to make enough room in my garage for a 2nd car to part-out. Feels like just yesterday my roomie and I sold off an entire shed full of spare transmissions, engine blocks, manifolds, and interior trim. 

If I think about it too long, I start beating myself up for ever walking away. But I think sometimes a guy just needs a change of scenery to keep the mind from growing stagnant. And if I didn't bail when i did, my life today would look very different. I doubt I would have met my wife. At least you were smart enough to keep your old cars in storage. =) This thread makes me happy to read.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-9962-0-67421200-1425448721_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-89983900-1425448736_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-94717700-1425448752_thumb.jpg

A distant friend of mine gave me a call today. He said, "I've got something for you." When he handed me this poster with Mr. K's autograph, I nearly fell on my aXX. He told me that his x-girlfriends father worked at a Nissan Dealership where Mr. K visited and he had him sign the poster. He's kept it in storage for many years and when he found out I was working on my Z cars again, he went to his storage and fished it out. I asked him if I could buy it, and he said, "it's not for sale. It's a gift for someone that can appreciate it, so please keep it."

Wow, just wow!!!!!

All in all, I was having a really horrible day/week...... This doesn't make it all go away, but I'm very grateful!!!!

You're singing my song, Hoover. I also took a good 10 years off of my Z car hobby and suddenly i find myself obsessing over wheel option at 3am, plotting how to make enough room in my garage for a 2nd car to part-out. Feels like just yesterday my roomie and I sold off an entire shed full of spare transmissions, engine blocks, manifolds, and interior trim. 

If I think about it too long, I start beating myself up for ever walking away. But I think sometimes a guy just needs a change of scenery to keep the mind from growing stagnant. And if I didn't bail when i did, my life today would look very different. I doubt I would have met my wife. At least you were smart enough to keep your old cars in storage. =) This thread makes me happy to read.

Thanks, Swami. I remember over 25+ years ago when I would wait for AutoTrader to come out so I could look at what's for sale. I didn't have much money or any at all, but I can even remember some of the ads for widebody Z's that weren't finished. I even found a pic. of me pulling out an engine in my dad's driveway when I was 18. Time goes by and I still talk to the guy that I bought the Z from. He told me that his wife is wearing the Z on her ring finger, so that makes me feel good. I think I have enough left in me to get this Z running and hopefully I can pass it to my kids when the time comes........I just have to be prudent this time around and have fun in my third Z life.........

post-9962-0-74007200-1425495426_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-35729800-1425495441_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-80893400-1425495461_thumb.jpg

opening up boxes this morning.

flywheel, clutch (that I lost) arrived, new turn signal lense, box of new bolts and the 3250cc L6.

I've got to get back to work and pay for these things now.......

well......the flywheel and clutch is on.....

that's progress....right?

and, found my other centerforce clutch in a box that we couldn't find a week ago.  I told one of the guys that the box with orange cover clutch cover is the clutch we were supposed to use................the answer I got, "you mean the one that says centerforce thatI was looking at last week?"

UHHHHHHGGGGGG!!!!!!

Back in the day, I would have had it running already!!!!

post-9962-0-62771300-1425528082_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-30796700-1425580027_thumb.jpg

pulled this out of storage this morning.

I'm frustrated due to losing so many expensive parts, however.

I can not find my nissan comp. exaust header....

will just have to make due.

well......

uuuhhhhh........

hmmmmm.........

uhhhhh........

obviously been sitting in a time capsule of dust, dirt and dirt........

what a shame.....my other z engine!!!!!post-9962-0-19528400-1425580322_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hoover

post-9962-0-20921300-1425612448_thumb.jpg

replaced all freeze plugs with brass.....

engine went in like butter.....

post-9962-0-90825600-1425612542_thumb.jpg

I know the transmission will come out again to be rebuilt and also swap out the diff. for a 4.11 ls......the gearing with a ZX 5 spd. and 3:54 diff. is a slug and true freeway cruiser......

post-9962-0-02276400-1425612856_thumb.jpg

this one scares me.

it's so much work and I'm not sure I could see the light at the end of the tunnel.....

I've contact a few autobody and paint shops to do the work after I do the body work.....but.....time isn't on my side and already spent a mint in a week on parts.....

I honestly feel that this Z wanted to go back together today. Nothing was difficult at all; kinda like a puzzle that just clicked together once all the pieces were in place. Really made it fun!