HybridZ

Back at it....

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooh nice tires. Great seeing those T3 brakes being unboxed. This is essentially the same as the Arizona Z Car package, yeah?

Pics of the shop would be cool! But no pressure. Not everything needs to live online. :)

post-9962-0-91544700-1427979129_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-96909100-1427979154_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-12113000-1427979177_thumb.jpg

a Z visitor took these the other day....

Thanks, Swami!

i can't imagine much difference between brake kits.....

I'm a T3 Dealer and have worked on some cars with their products for over 10 years.

The tires are Toyo R1R, very good grip! I bought two 275/45/17 on accideent...350.00 for both if anyone needs them.

In all honesty, I didn't have the time and spent more time than I should have.

I've had it stored for so long and I think at one point I convinced myself that I didn't even own all the "extra" cars I had. I don't even want to think of what I've spent to store them for all these years; coulda bought a bigger house etc.....

My initial goal was to make room for a new project, but as you've followed, one problem after another with these cars. If I had to do it again, I would just replace any mechanical whether working or not from the get-go, I lost a week+ just because of aged parts.

I do feel a sense of satisfaction and a weight lifted off of me. Maybe I'll bring the Z home.

The Red Z has been on my mind.....I'll attempt it with a litte more caution:

1. I could remove the drivetrain and media blast the body and have paint work done.

2. Get engine to run...dyno tune with newer components, then take it apart

3. Start ordering everything......

Really not sure what I can do......my wallet/wife dictates and she gave me this one (orange z) for the most part......

BUT, now I have to take her on a vacation for 9 days and that begins tomorrow....SO YEEES>>>>> NOTHING IS FREE!!!!!

Understand, I'm just ending a vacation with my wife after dragging her to the National Plastics Exposition in Orlando.  I'm an industry consultant and equipment sales rep so need to attend the triennial show to catch up with all the latest goodies and meet with my principals.  In the meantime I managed to keep some progress in motion on my Z which is currently in the shop.

Have fun.  The change of pace will do you both good.

Thanks, Phantom.

I received a notice from that convention as well, but not enough time in a day. Towards the end of the year, I spend 2 months traveling to conventions across the world- not the most fun, but Vegas is pretty good!

Yes, I need a change of pace and everyone at the shop is telling me it's ok to slow down....post-9962-0-03639700-1428013174_thumb.jpg

just completed spring install and alignment. Rear Toe was far off. Raised up nearly an inch and NO rubbing.

Backing plate arrived for TWM throttle bodies (i lost mine). I think there's enough time to use an extra manifold I have as a template and at minimum mount the plate.

post-9962-0-76827400-1428013331_thumb.jpg

time to drill out the openings, mount heatshield on the header (will swap over to fitted inconel heat shield when I have time and the extra money) and must purchase a new filter.....

I think this needs an air box, like the factory Z cars, but the throttle bodies may suck in more air than an airbox can supply, or we need to make a really big air box like on the e46 M3.

Edited by Hoover

Hoov, are you sure on that size 275/45/17 I can't find a /45/ series in 275/17's anywhere.

sorry, typo...

my rears are 275/40

fronts 245/45, which I switched to 40 series.

if anyone want to purchase 245/45/17, i don't need these and haven't driven on them.

Edited by Hoover

many years ago, I tested the bmw m3 air box. they make NO power and aftermarket cold air intakes do nothing from all the tests I've done.

this is an aftermarket carbon version. notice how large it is.

the problem with L-Series header is that the exhaust is underneath the intake manifold and no sheet metal heatshield really works that well. Once heat is in the engine bay, you'll always get warm air with the hood closed and radiator heat that's sucked in via fans.

post-9962-0-76725400-1428043643_thumb.jpg

The only way to keep the throttle bodies from sucking in air is to build an air box. The airbox kits on the market are way too small and choke out air. BMW has done their homework but I figure out something many years ago about air speed and plenums on N/A engines. Most people install large openings and connect the same size ducting to feed a larger volume, which in theory makes sense, but what I did was install a velocity stack that necked down thee the opening to the plenum about 30%. This creates somewhat of a venturi effect and speeds induction. This was the only intake that made hp/tq amongst all the different intakes I've tested: dinan, k and n, bimmerword, home brew, etc.....

Many years ago, I used to daily drive triple Mikuni and everytime I sat in traffic, I knew that the heat would ultimately foul out the plugs till I romped on throttle to clean them up. With fuel injection, it might not be as bad,, but heat is heat....

I think I'll design a giant sheet metal intake box that takes up as much space as I can find and use some of that gold thermal insulation on the backside to reflect radiant header heat. Would be different, unique and functional. I could even make it out of carbon fiber, like on the m3.

Yup, at it again....

Edited by Hoover

Seems like a reasonable plan.  ITG makes some interesting looking air canisters - perhaps something like one of those, with a proper air inlet, would keep enough filtered air on tap to help combat choke issues?  They look like they would beat the heck out of a simple cone on the end of some ducting tube anyway!  http://www.itgairfilters.com/maxogen-introduction.asp

As a more basic approach, I always thought the attached image below looked great.

Congrats on getting the Z registered again, by the way!

post-29570-0-15004900-1428048311_thumb.jpg

Seems like a reasonable plan.  ITG makes some interesting looking air canisters - perhaps something like one of those, with a proper air inlet, would keep enough filtered air on tap to help combat choke issues?  They look like they would beat the heck out of a simple cone on the end of some ducting tube anyway!  http://www.itgairfilters.com/maxogen-introduction.asp

As a more basic approach, I always thought the attached image below looked great.

Congrats on getting the Z registered again, by the way!

Thanks, Ryant67! And, thanks for the pic.

I briefly looked at the amount of space I have to work with- it's about double the size of the normal intake boxes I've seen on the market.

I wanted to do something fancy, but a somewhat rectangle seems to be the best option. I have velocity stack that we've used on the GT -Lite Datsun 510. Rebello Racing buys them from us-post-9962-0-09812600-1428076837_thumb.jpg

my itg filter is falling apart on the exterior....

these are a couple hundred......

Not that I have the time, but I minus well just design something for that kind of money.....