HybridZ

Back at it....

looks like I may have found a 4.11 open diff.

I have a quaife limited slip already and will transfer it over. Will make for fun driving and I believe I have the later 280zx gear box with .045 5th.

either way....it's going to rev. at 2700 rpm on the freeway.......I havevn't had that experience in a LONG time....

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

post-9962-0-16947200-1425919941_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-34989600-1425919955_thumb.jpg

Morning,

Well......going to build a 2 1/2" exhaust with magnaflow resonator and 14"L magnaflow muffler.....

BUT,,,,,ordered the wrong part for the muffler as you can see. I didn't read the specs. correctly.....

OH well.....will make due and build everything up to the muffler.

I did find a 4.11 r180 and I'll have that this evening and hopefully installed by tomorrow mid-afternoon.....

it's never easy as it would seem, but this re-assembly hasn't been overly difficult, just finding unobtanium OEM parts has been a bit of a stumbling block......and, losing my exhaust header really was a bummer.....

going to mount the resonator in the middle. most of the time, Z cars center mufflers are cantered toward the driver side to aim for the exhaust knotch. I don't want my seat area to heat up and will probably install some kind of thermal insulation in the future. I won't drive the car too much, so it's not a big deal.....

ordered the rear tires this morning....275.40.17.....

i haven't made up my mind on the fronts- a 255.40.17 may be too large and rub, but looks right. the current 245/40/17 fits and doesn't rub, just looks small.post-9962-0-76104700-1425923321_thumb.jpg

man... i wish i had so many amazing parts stored away. This is all coming together at a relentless pace! More than just a tad jealous of your throttle bodies. oOF

thanks, Swami!!!!!

I can't believe I had all those parts I forgot about........

The throttle bodies can be a royal PITA.....especially the linkage. The Mikuni/side drafts use the factory linkage while throttle bodies use a cable. Sometimes they just don't return well even with our return spring assembly we made. Maybe it's just me......the only problem I had with side draft carbs are the main linkage at the fire wall coming off while on hard throttle....maybe that's just the engine mounts moving too much and an isolated scenario.....more than likely.

It's bitter sweet for me.....I'm trying to complete a circle. Somehow when the car cover went over the Z, I went on with my life; I buried the fact that I had this nice car/s and pretended like they didn't exist. Someone asked me where my time is better allocated, but it's not always about the all might dollar, IMO. Somethings, as long as you can afford it, need to be done, if not, sell it and move on with no regrets. My wallet is a bit lighter this past week, but I feel a small sense of accomplishment. Later today, I have a body man coming over to look at my other Z car. I will, again, do most of the prep. work but not the paint work. My goal was only to get this Z back together and I could maintain it without too much difficulty.

Yes, I know I'm working fast. I have a major project that will take up the next two months and maybe years (I hope) of business. My goal was to complete something in my past before I could advancee in my career in the specialty automotive industry. I think I'm superstitious, but something just kept haunting me. This time, I promised myself that I would tunnel vision myself and see how far I get........almost there.

Placed another order with MotorSport Auto for seat belts this morning........I'm sure they've gotten acclimated to our daily orders........

Edited by Hoover

post-9962-0-91898900-1426039464_thumb.jpg

What a royal PITA!!!!!!! you'd think it'd be easy and maybe without the resonator and if I didn't have to retrofit a muffler and fabricate our own exhaust tip, we might have saved some time........

SO------ it's 2 1/2" all the way to the muffler which is 3" with a custom 3" exhaust tip. It does fill up the exhaust outlet much better, however......

Now I feel like I'm behind......

didn't get the diff. in!!!!!

post-9962-0-12270800-1426040678_thumb.jpg

i know it doesn't look like much- a tip with a slash cut....

we just made it, then polished it to look period correct. But, it just took more time than I wanted and still have to finish weld the last 1/4 of the exhaust......

you'd think we'd be faster at exhaust systems by now...since we build stuff everyday......

post-9962-0-27056400-1426134076_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-65660400-1426134098_thumb.jpgpost-9962-0-50188800-1426134146_thumb.jpg

post-9962-0-37753800-1426134175_thumb.jpg

it's NEVER easy!!!!!! my limited slip is the wrong size for the r180 I picked up.

And, my axles don't work. This 4.11 diff. requires the clip in type axle and I have the bolt-in type.

I'm going to have to run peg leg for a while....well, I have to figure out which direction to go.....