HybridZ

Back at it....

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it may have been cheaper to just keep the Z running for all these years.

rebuilt trans. new clutch, bumper, engine install, 4.11 (and i need different inboard adaptors or an r180 so I can retrofit the side gears), new fluids, modify trans. shifter opening, seat belts, all new fuel lines/pump, header and exhaust (since I lost the header), upgrade firmware for tech3r (glad I found that), new wheels/tires and probably some small amount of paint work too........

well as the saying goes- priceless!!!!

crap happens----

sent someone to pick up the gear box and it's not the right one. Lucky I didn't spend my day to pick it up......

sooooooo............now what???! Hmmmmmm...........

Edited by Hoover

thanks! I'm glad it's Friday! Need a break.

I rebuilt the fuel tank years ago. Well......when they welded it together, the liner melted off and fell into the tank......then

local Z car shop got the wrong trans. and I had to fend for myself, which I don't have all the time in the world.....had a guy go and pick it up and wasted his time as well....

Once I get the R180, I can switch side gears and make the bolt type axles work, I hope.

I sort of understand your frustration but I've seen so many projects on this forum to take 3+ years to get as far as you've gotten in the past few weeks - only to have to start over again because they made some noob decisions.  It's a 40 year old piece of machinery - stuff happens.  :D

Edited by Phantom

Thanks Phantom!

In all honesty, I should have expected more problems than less. It sat since 2003 and stuff wears down. I have a huge project that we should be working on this very minute, but when I entered the warehouse, all I saw was part of my life that I shoved underneath a car cover; maybe just a little work and I could at minimum get the motor back in. I tunnel visioned myself and said that after all these decades of being a Z enthusiast, I would get one car together. Lost parts, lost bolts and trying to get my brain back into Z mode were the first parts. Then every vendor I used and all efforts I spent running around for days got me 4 steps back. All I could say to myself, "what have I gotten myself into and should I keep going?" The deeper I looked, the more work there was: busted seat belts, no rear bumper, rear panels off, wrong size wheels/tires, wrong size exhaust and whatever else........ I just learned that nothing is simple as it seems......and it's my car, not someone elses......

Moving foward-

1. Gas tank will be end of the week.

2. r180 will arrive this week and I'll remove the diff. again and swap out spur gears, then shafts should fit.

Resinstall transmission and modify tunnel for shifter (never did this before and want to get it correct this time)

3. repair throttle cable

4. backing plate for throttle bodies (lost it)

5. brakes - maybe I'll upgrade......(and again...this is my problem and always has been. I just can't leave things alone. My philosphy is that if it ain't broke, upgrade it).

6. Dyno tune.

I can do it.....it's just more time than I wanted to spend.....and then there's the other 99% after it's running......

post-9962-0-33006900-1426380854_thumb.jpg

well......while working at home.....the R/T style diff. mount arrived. I also purchased the other mount as well. Now I just have to figure out how it's installed.....shouldn't be too difficult....but then again, that's what I said two weeks ago.......