HybridZ

Does anyone know specifics about the Q45 V8?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

O.k., no I am not ditching the Northstar. What I am thinking is a VERY radical Quad Cam V8 Nissan engine powering a tubbed out early Zcar(ala Ron Jones) I'm thinking a custom manifold with programmable EFI and a boat load of Nitrous(or turbos if any one else wants to contribute). I think a Z car needs to be built to go head to head with the top NIRA racers. My question is not how much HP does a stock Q45 engine make, but how much NOS(or boost can the bottom end handle. Does it have a forged crank? How is the bottom end held together? Make an adapter to put a 'Glide behind it. Kind of a Pro Stock Z with an Import legal engine. I would like to keep it Nissan so that the car can win the races, not the engine(Hemi in every body style Funny Car, everyone knows that the body is just for looks and downforce). If you understand what I'm getting at, give me a hell yeah.

Jamie

Deathstar

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamie, here ya go : HELL YEAH!

I understand fully. I'd never try that as I like things to be easy (SBC, etc.). But I fully understand what you mean about a legal import drag setup. To have a Nissan engine in the car, it would get alot more respect from both the spectators (not that I really care about that) and the "officials" making the rules as to what can run in what class.

I wonder if there's something going on in Japan with that motor in the aftermarket - maybe that forged steel mongo crank already exists?

Q45's have been arround for over 10 years now and I have seen alot of them in wrecking yards and I dont ever remember one even having the motor pulled out... they arn't a hot item.. most wrecking yards would be hard pressed to sell one.. So getting one cheep shouldn't be a problem might require some looking or be willing to buy a whole car that is wrecked. As for the adapter they make one for everthing else why not... you will have to run some aftermarket computer and deal with the variable valve timing.. but if you get one cheep why not use the factory computer and then spray it and see how long it lasts could be a neat experiment... I agree with the others if it is like most other Nissan motors it will have a forged crank and a real strong lower end. Good Luck

Jamie, here are the specs for the motor--I just went under the hood at work (caught some friendly flak from a neighboring worker):

Eng code: VH45DE

32 valve 4 ohc, aluminum block/head V8

4494 cc / 274 cu in

278 hp @ 6000 rpm

292 lb ft @ 4000 rpm

These specs are from my '90 Q45. I love the motor and even the tranny too, which are able to move the 4000+ lb car very well, although the car does start out in 2nd gear unless you "manually" shift it. It would be awesome in a Z and I think your idea is cool. I seriously doubt you would hurt the motor or tranny in high performance use, but you are limited to an AT for the most part. I believe that the crank is forged and the motor will EASILY spin to 6000 with no problem. Good luck if you decide to pursue this.

I don't know the exact weight (or anything close), but it MUST be less than the Chevy. As Richard just indicated, everything is aluminum and it is physically smaller than the Chevy, although it may be as wide on top--gotta measure that. I have one of the original books on the Q45 given to the owners when the car first came out, and I can tell you from seeing a picture in there of a disassembled motor--that puppy is a work of art! Very sweet motor and gutsy too. I think I'll leave it in the Q45 and stick with the Chevy motor for the Z ($$$ issues).

Davy

Guest JAMIE T

The car as I think it should be built would have a 2 spd Chevy Powerglide. I know I would need to fab an adapter for that. The car would have no streetability features at all. It would be a purpose built Drag Car intended to run in the Import Drag Wars. It would more than likely be a tube frame super light weight car. Imagine if you crossed Ron Jone's car with the Wangon Midnight car and you would be getting close to seeing how I think the car should look. ZG flares, tubbed out, 32"x14" slicks, wheelie bars, make it look like a tubbed out Fairlady Z, maybe even a Gnose to help with the 150+mph quarter mile speeds(hey Dan, you wouldn't want to tub your car out would you?;d) I figure 3 stage nitrous, hehe, carry along some extra junkyard engines just in case. Whats the deal with the variable valve timing? Does the stock computer control valve motion? I'm not real familiar with this engine and have only been THINKING this car needs to be built. Has anyone ever seen one of these engines modified? Anyone want to help? Donations accepted icon_biggrin.gif

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest JAMIE T

Scottie, I did just that last night after mosting my last message(Hybridz is the first place I go when I sign on). I found a bit of information about the IRL cars and a LeMans car, they both used a 3.5 liter version of the engine. I did not find anything about parts availability, or modifying the production engines.

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest Anonymous

thatd be beautiful, but u mentioned a nira z, and there's no 8 cylinder classes in any import racing if that's what you're considering the car for...

brian

Then I guess he'll win his division since it'll be totally new! icon_biggrin.gif

Does this mean if I wanted to race my Q45, I could not race it as an import vehicle? That would stink! It is made in Japan and that should qualify. Likewise, so should his conversion--it's all Nissan too icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest JAMIE T

This is NIRA's rules for the V8 powered cars, it is an Exhibition type racing. They mention possibly making it a regular Pro Class if popularity of this type of car increases. Scottie mentioned in another post about a 1500hp Toyota Tundra V8 powered Celica about to hit the import drag scene. Well anyway, check it out http://www.nira.com/rules_proclasses_exhibition.asp here is IDRC's Outlaw rules http://www.importdrag.com/outlaw.shtml

Jamie

Deathstar

[ August 09, 2001: Message edited by: JAMIE T ]

Guest JAMIE T

Flipping through my new issue of Automobile Magazine, I read that the 2002 Infiniti Q45 will get a 340hp version of the 4.5L DOHC V8. Also read that If the GT-R hits America(a 50/50 chance) it will get the same powerplant as the Q45. It seems Nissan has recognized the performance potential of its flagship V8. I'm going to check some local wreckers to try and find an engine. I'm not completely serious about this deal, but I'm going to check into it.

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest Anonymous

OH HELL YEA, it's about time someone at Nissan came to their senses the Cedric (V8 4DR) has been in service since the early 80s and I saw several fast NissanV8 Z's when I was in Okinawa in 84-86. Have you checked Nissan Motorsports for performance parts, maybe try Stillen also.

All ready started Q45v8 project: Plans are to stuff Quad cam motor into 78z 5sp.

All ready have motor, and car work. Working on detail and plan for drive line, mounts a ect... Will give detail and photo at later date. icon_cool.gif