HybridZ

Does anyone know specifics about the Q45 V8?

Guest JAMIE T

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Badzx:

The 4sp auto. in 90-96 300tt is the same as Q45.

Ok, that I did not know. If that is in fact the case, logic (not engineering unfortunately) would dictate that you could use the 5 speed. That would be a very potent combo and "street lethal" as they say. Keep us posted, because this could be a very viable swap in the near future.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

That would be one SWEEET swap!!! Coincidentally, other than my Z I also happen to own a '91 Q45. Other than pondering cannabalizing some early Q45's (not mine of course) for the R230 and other tidbits, I've always dreamt of slapping this thing in a Z. First of all, I've had experience with these motors and know for a fact, they are quite a bit lighter than a SBC. I know they are only apprx. 110 pounds heavier than the Maxima's VQ30DE. Another thing is, I've heard talk about these engines being direct bolt-ons to the 300ZXTT's 5-speed tranny because of the identical flywheel, not sure, but I ASSUME. Third, this engine has one of the best and smoothest powerbands I've seen in a V8. It has respectable low-end torque and tremendous high RPM juice. With just a JWT ECU upgrade and Stillen exhaust i was able to run 14.8 1/4 miles according to my Gtech. With the JWT NOS upgrade, i was able to get down to 13.8 and that's in a 4,200 pound lux sedan with a competition audio system!! Basically, I'm considering a V8 swap into my 240Z but I'm really leaning towards this Infiniti V8 simply because I'm a Nissan purist but also because this is a wonderful, smooth revving engine that does wonders for a big 4-door sedan, just think about what it'd do for a Z. As a matter of fact, I have 210K miles on my original engine. This engine has taken the abuse of numerous NOS runs and constant WOT driving so there's no question it's durable. The only known problem of the early Q engine's is an inherant chain guide problem that seemed to kill the engine if owners neglected it (I had mine done at 140K). With an the upgraded JWT the rev-limiter is set to 7300RPM. Just think of the possibilities!! By the way, I located a Q45 engine here in Boston in a wrecked Q with 67K miles on it for $900. just my 0.02

Hrm! $900 for the motor, transmisison is probably not too bad, some wiring which would be a PITA, and away you go? Boy, that DOES sound like an interesting swap. How hard would the mounts be though? That's the killer part IMO is figuring out all of that. Wiring might be as simple as using the stock harness standalone for the stock wiring. We need ot get folks to document things like wiring and mounts. We need more 5.0 docs for this stuff too..

I'd expect you'd have to consider using the frame instead of the crossmember but with a little welding that's not too bad. If you go forward with this please document the heck out of it as I and others would be VERY interested in it.

I recently started autocrossing my Z. The car has a 5.0L Ford engine and T5. The problem that I encounter is class eligibility. SCCA has a street mod class in which you can swap in larger engines. The rub is that the engine has to be of the same manufacture as the car (ie. Infiniti into a datsun, or Lexus into a toyota, or Cadillac into GM, but not Ford into Datsun).

Therefore if you plan to autocross, the Q45 engine would be a great choice.

Good Luck,

Dan McGrath

Last time I read about the CR of the engine, it was not exactly low--something on the order of about 10:1, or close to it. The engine requires premium fuel and is rather thirsty in a 4000+ lb car--I would not doubt you could get high 20's for mileage in a light 240Z icon_biggrin.gif Well, maybe if your foot wasn't into it all the time...

Davy

[ August 22, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Guest Anonymous

yes this engine does have variable-valve timing. The CR is 10.5:1. I've looked through the posts here and it seems as though it's the 300ZXTT's 5-speed tranny that would be a PITA to work with. The engine itself doesn't look like it'd be too much of a hassle. Just when i thought i was gonna do a SBC swap!!! lol Well, i'll hold off on that thought, if someone successful swaps a Q engine in there, hollah at me!! New Q motor would be toooo hard to work with especially with the electronic drive by wire throttle.

Guest Tht1KSguy

Well then... that opens up a whole other world. Does the VH45DE system used the advance/retard method on the cams or is like the vtec and jumps to another set of lobes? I wonder who would make some low compression pistons.. JE maybe? so far i've found out they're 93mm. Does the engine use oil squirters on the piston skirts like that 300ZXTT?

Guest Anonymous

tht1ksguy:

It uses the former, I believe. Also, I strongly doubt the VH45DE has oil squirters ala 300ZX because I remember Q45tech (the Infiniti guru at yahoo clubs) saying oil squirters had to be custom fabbed on a Q in order for it to accomodate blowers and turbos for some reason. He also mentioned some cylinder-cooling water system. I'd really have to scour his brain for this kind of info. Oh, I found some really good news. While at the wreckage yard purchasing a used a/c compressor for my Q I asked the salesguy how much a VH45DE would go for and he told me that they actually had a few laying around and that he was willing to let go of one with 75K miles for $1,300 but this is including all the wiring, ECU and harnesses, etc. He also mentioned there was a motor from a '92 Q that he needed to get rid of for only $400! I asked him why so low and he stated that the engine needed work because the valves had slammed due to the chain slipping a tooth. The plastic chain guides failed at $130k. He said in the hands of a pro the engine could be fixed in no time.

On another note. Contrary to what most import folks believe, there really is no "replacement for displacement." Sure smaller 4-bangers and 6ers can make awesome power with turbos but what about V8's with turbos, even twin turbo setups. I really think this year will be the year for V8's to shine in the import drag circuit. We all have heard about HKS's brand new twin turbo V8 Supra but there's a good by the name of Don Stewart who has a WORKING twin-turbo Infiniti Q45 transplanted into a Nissan Frontier. The engine should put out over 1300HP!!! Just out the pics below:

DSCN7549.jpg

http://www.overboost.com/pix.asp?image=./images/402/full/DSCN7553.jpg

Guest Tht1KSguy

just great... now how am i supposed to sleep... hmmmm i guess i'll be calling around the local yards tomorrow to see if there are any crunched Q45's laying around. Any years an particular to look for or avoid? I'd like to avoid the higher mileage motors just to avoid the bore wear.. although not a major concern. $400 is pretty attractive.. too bad it's 1500miles away... i'm guessing even truck freight would be killer on that one.. i'd bet there's one closer, hopefully. It looks like from the pic that only the intake cam is variable.. which shouldn't be too hard to program. Did he say who he's getting his parts from (i.e. pistons, rods, cams)? I'm assuming those have been upgraded for 1300hp... Let's see.. $400 engine... extrude hone the heads, pistons, multi angle valve job, new valves, 300ZXTT tranny, Haltech. Let's see ATI superchargers is about a mile from my house... wonder if they'd sponsor me? icon_biggrin.gif

no rest for the wicked

Guest Tht1KSguy

whoa... Kansas City isn't exactly the land of Infinity but if i could find one of those engines for anywhere around $1000 that will be my swap.. i'm still unclear though - does the engine have variable valve timing? If so that makes it pretty tough to go w/ an aftermarket efi setup... something about about a high winding DOHC V8 w/ a 5spd that just needs to be put in a Z.. anybody know what the compression ratio is? i'm thinking boost

Guest Anonymous

The only real problems you have to look for are the plastic chain guide problem plaguing the '90-'93 models, in '94 they upgraded them to steel. Another gremlin to keep an eye out for are frequent problems with crank angle sensor, mine's is dead and I still need to get it replaced icon_biggrin.gif Forgot to mention valve cover gasket leaks are quite frequent. I had to have mine resealed about a month ago at 180k and before that I had them done once at 130k but that could've been attributed to me going overboard with the Marvel Mystery Oil, lol. The only real downside to this engine is buying parts from Infiniti is too expensive so check with the yards first. The cool thing about this swap is that you can easily have it hooked up to a CONSULT have your engine problems diagnosed by a computer, pretty cool.

Guest JAMIE T

NOW YOUR TALK'N!!! 1300hp!!! Were did you find those pics? Is there a way to get in touch with that person(owner/builder of the engine)? Now stick that set-up in a tubbed out Zcar and your seeing my vision! I have been searching the net for REAL high performance Q45 engine info and came up nada. I have been thinking that this would be cooler than the Northstar.

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest Anonymous

A friend of mine who has a 300ZXTT drove all the way to chi-town to exhibit his car. When he told me there was a twin-turbo Q45 drag truck there, I couldn't believe him so I searched high and low for the Hot Import Nights photos and just couldn't believe my eyes. There's talk at the Yahoo Infiniti club about him, i hear he lives somewhere in the midwest and that he financed the whole project car himself. I don't know specifics but he supposedly replaced almost all the internals with your typical forged, heavy-duty goods. There's no way the cylinders could take that kind of abuse so I'm certain he fabbed some custom iron cylinder sleeves.

BTW, I'm still trying to find out if the Q motor can be hooked up to a ZXTT 5-speed but i'm almost certain it can. I think a good place to find out would be Level 10 transmission because they work on the 300ZXTT transmission and recently worked on some guy's Q to handle 700 supercharged horses...

Guest Tht1KSguy

well i've made some calls... found a '91 local for $1500 but that's engine only (forgot to ask how many miles).. they keep anything that unbolts (i.e. starter, alt., etc.) had another yard do a search for me... they came up w/ one in Mass. amazingly enough... gee i wonder... but they gave it a nice bump in price to $2500... i wonder how much the head work and possible pistons would cost on that damaged $400 engine? Either way i'm probably a couple weeks out on a decision anyway.. my luck every engine in sight will be snapped up by then icon_eek.gif I'm still looking for an absolute answer that the 300ZXTT tranny will bolt up for sure. Computer is not so important to me since i'd probably go the programmable route anyway.

Guest Tht1KSguy

Yeah i wouldn't mind talking to this guy either. About all i know is his name is Don Stewart which i got from the overboost site that had the pics on it. I guesss i should get onto the yahoo infiniti club to see what else i can dig up. I'm not looking to build any 1300hp... but something around 600 should do anything i ever want to. My ultimate goal for the car is to be a very fast regular driver but be competitive enough for events like the Car & Driver One Lap of America.. so i want a good all around car.. gotta be a stick, probably going to have A/C (it's hot in KS).. i'd like to go w/ turbos but will probably go w/ an ATI blower for ease of installation and i know a couple guys that work there and i'd assume be able to put together that system cheaper than the TT's.. we'll see, i'm still in the ideas stage here.

Just when I thought I knew what I was going to do, you guys had to throw this at me. I had to go price one for myself. Most all the Q45 motors upto '93 go for alittle more then what you can get the '94+. I got a quote of $1600 for '94+ motor(no accessories) with harness. Auto tranny would run about $350.

Now, to get the whole thing(motor,accessories,tranny and harness) I would think it would be about $2000. He never would give me a price. I would have to catch one just as it came in or have it on order. He would have to talk with "the boss" and see what the price for "all" would be. What if I pulled it? That question never came up. I couldn't even go into the warehouse to measure it. He did, but came back saying it was at the top of the rack. Oh well.

It's a flip up in my book. It would have to be determined on whether the 300ZX 5 speed would make the fit or not.

I could do a good built 350 w/auto for about $1500. I want the stick, which would bump the price up another $750-$1000, after the difference of trannies, depending on which way I wanted to go(T56).

So BADZX, you are going 5 speed right, right?