HybridZ

Does anyone know specifics about the Q45 V8?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest Anonymous

for the life of me i just can't find that Group Z magazine the documented someone swapping a Q motor in the Z. I checked out another Z site and someone mentioned it. But they said it HAS been done but not sure if it was 5speed or the auto trans. My swap hinges on this question. If a 5speed trans can bolt on, I guarantee you I'll have this swap done before ya'll.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tht1KSguy

Is the 5spd tranny in the 300ZXTT different from the NA version? if they're the same... i think i have one found cheap... as for engines i'd much rather find a car that's been wadded into a ball then just pull out everything i need and replace what's broken, possibly the rear end too.. don't they use the R230? Anyone else have any good ideas? sopdadope if you're not claiming it for yourself would u email me the name and number of that wrecking yard in MA.. Tht1KSguy@aol.com i'm interested to see if he's had the $400 engine apart to see how bad the damage is...(like are the valves just bent or broken and jammed into the heads) even if the tranny doesn't work my other swap in the future will be a Porsche 914.. was planning on a Northstar to go into that since Kennedy already makes an adapter for it icon_biggrin.gif i just can't leave well enough alone

Guest Anonymous

That1ksguy:

Why didn't you tell me you wanted that motor earlier?!!? lol I just picked it up yesterday for a future replacement for my Q which has over 200k miles. I do happen to have the number for the yard. It's B & D Autoparts and the number is 1-800-752-0156. They're opened from 9-5 on weekdays so try calling then. You'd better call quick because they only keep the motors with less than 50k miles, all others get shipped to rebuilders i think.

Guest Tht1KSguy

hey sopdadope, no problem i'd snatch that thing up if i were you too icon_smile.gif top end work always bothers me anyway... and especially w/ 32 of those suckers.. i'm going to keep my eye out around here for an actual running motor.. preferably less than the $1500 i've found so far. i'll probably run it as is for awhile until i get the cash together for a turbo setup (pistons and all that good stuff, might as well do it right the first time)... i just need that whistle.. i don't think a supercharger will do it for me...

I think my first priority after getting the motor & tranny in will be coilovers & big brakes.. this thing is going to be put on the track part of the time afterall.. i would think the engine could make maybe 325hp w/ just programmable FI and free breathing intake and exh.?

Guest Anonymous

I definitely will need some brakes as well. What I'm planning to do is use just use the block anyway. I'll slap on everything else from my current engine.

I agree with you about the turbo vs. blower. Even though blowers are great, I just love BOV's and the turbo's spooling. That would be my dream swap right there, the Q V8 with two ballbearing turbos. But right now, I think i'm leaning towards a turbo'd L28...

Guest Anonymous

Badzx,

I'm assuming that with such an enthusiastic response that you have fitted the Q motor to the ZXTT 5spd? I'm still picking at Q45tech's brain but it seems he's avoiding a definite answer because of liability issues (he works an Infiniti dealership). A buddy of mine asked him the same question but again, no answer. Anyhow, yeah the Q motor can easily make power with just exhaust and JWT ECU. Just the ECU alone did wonders for my car, not was upper end power more apparent but the midrange had a definite kick in the pants. According to Q45tech, Infiniti downplayed the Q's actual specs and the real horsepower numbers are actually about 290 hp and torque is a little over 310. I guess there's some weird rule in Japan where manufacturers can't claim their cars produce more than 278 hp? Anyone heard of this? He also said that with JWT and a good exhaust like dynomax or the Stillen unit, the Q can make 320 horses and about 340 lb.ft. of torque. I really thought I'd do a Vette motor with T56 but I'd think the VH45DE with it's lighter weight and smoother, more linear acceleration would better suit me.

For what it is worth guys, the '96 Q45 engine did not have the variable valve (intake) timing, and consequently had less power (area under the curve). Definitely get one that has the 94+ cam guides. Many early models have had this done.

I have a '94 Q45a (57K miles) and this year had the Active Suspension rejuvenated - I never knew it could ride this smooth - it wasn't this good when I bought it w/32K on it!

The engine is sweet, but for my '75 I'm gonna do the SMC (302/327) and turbo it. It's a matter of $$$. Keep in mind that these engines are EXPENSIVE to work on.

Since I'm not gonna do any organized racing I dodn't have to worry about rules (RULES

- we don't need no stinking RULES!)

Guest Anonymous

I'd agree on that. The 95 and 96 Q motors had been detuned. Infiniti seemed to cut corners in the mid 90's and their flagship car was the biggest example.

hey brad manq45, it's good to see another q45a owner out there. I have 91 q45a myself. Who recharged your suspension? Was it Keith Bowers? He did mine for a fraction of the cost of getting new struts and accumulators replaced.

here's a suggestion, a Q45 is definitely not for those who aren't the DYI type. If you're mechanically inclined and have the tools and know-how, you can take care of these problems yourself. The timing chain is the only real big problem i can think of, and that can be a DYI thing as well as resealing head gaskets. I think this problem would be solved if one got a '94 motor, these were the most reliable.

Yeah the japanese automakers (or maybe it was the government) made it so no car could clain more than 276hp from the factory. I'm not 100% sure why.

That said, the 3200lbs 276hp R34 Skyline GTR keeps up fine with the 3700lbs 386hp Audi RS4. (both AWD) icon_biggrin.gif You do the math!

Yeah Soapadope - Keith did mine - all but the one on the left front on the control valve assembly. Apparently, and according to the guys at T3 Automotive here in Atlanta/Marietta/Smyrna, Mine has a wire coming from it that the part Keith sent didn't have.

Keith never got back to me about this one, though I did get the monty back I sent in for it.

He is a good guy, and so the the people at T3.

A little more info for those looking at these engines - the 90-93 heads (esp. 90 & 91) are better from the standpoint that the porting was better - they wound up siamesing some of the runners/ports on later models. The 90 (& I think 91's) had sodium-filled exhaust valves.

If you just want 300-340 hp (no nitrous) and need to stay w/Nissan for class rules - go for it and use the early engine but make sure the new cam chain tensioner is used. Keep the stock computer or go with the JWT computer upgrade - don't try to go aftermarket if you want to keep the VVT.

Headers on one of these and a supercharger would be SWEET. I can imagine the delicious sound of a good exhaust system with this setup screaming toward 7300 rpm.

Hmmm - maaybe I could be tempted to change my mind....Drop the compression a point and a half and have JWT work some magic....

OH NO - I've got it bad - now I can't decide.... icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I hear those T3 guys are worldclass. Everyone of their customers praise the work they do, i wish i lived closer to ATL, I could've saved myself a fortune in maintainence costs... icon_sad.gif After buying the service manual and browsing through some helpful sights, I'm starting to get a hang of repairing the Q. Hmmm....here's an interesting thought....Maybe I should hold off on getting my Q's engine replaced and see what kind of work would be needed to fit the motor. I'll go by some yards to see if any Z tranny's are sitting around. I went to another yard and saw a deluge of late gen Z's so there's gotta be some tranny's I could use in marriage with the VH45DE icon_wink.gif Another interesting thing is...I have a T-66 turbo that I recently took of my old eclipse sitting in my garage collecting dust. Hmmm...I wonder if JWT could possibly custom tweak the ECU for a single turbo VH45DE?

Guest Tht1KSguy

Alright, you guys aren't helping me out much here icon_smile.gif on the one hand it's a smooth, high revving, broad power range 32V V8... on the other hand Brad says they're expesive to work on (although obviously i won't be taking it to the dealer and i don't plan on breaking it regularly anyway)it's already ready to go w/ FI whether i go w/ aftermarket or stock... the computer isn't easy to reprogram unless i send it to JWT every time i make a change, that's not exactly practical or i'm guessing cheap since i think i saw on JWT's website an ECU is $500 and if the 5spd works which i'm really assuming it will then that would be great... OR i have a 350 ready to be built in the garage and a 200R4.. although i'd rather go manual.. but i just can't justify that much money (for a T56) so i can change gears myself, i could throw a carb on for a while as i figure out which EFI i want to go w/ and collect all the parts OR since winter is almost upon us and i know i don't have the time to have it done before the grass grows green again then maybe i'll just wait to decide on engine & tranny and work on brakes & suspension first even though i'd rather have it driving and do those upgrades along the way... no matter which way i go the body has to be completed w/ cage before it's going anywhere

decisions decisions icon_rolleyes.gif

PS - dang.. isn't a T-66 huge for that 4G63?

[ August 27, 2001: Message edited by: Tht1KSguy ]

Sodapope - can you ask them what they'll let an R230 go for out of one of those late Zs? If they've got a pile perhaps they'll let it go fro a decent price. will they ship? Might want to grab a rear and a set of the CV axles icon_smile.gif Would like to investigate the R230 swap. Will have to look and see what ratios are out there.

Would love to hear how this Q45 setup works out and if the Z 5speed works. IMO a pretty stock Q45 motor would be plenty for a nice light Z. Smooth as glass too! Drooool.... Kripes, I need a second Z to play withnow (lol) icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous

A T-66 is huge for any car! icon_biggrin.gif Funny thing is, I went to Karative Motorsports here in Lowell and went looking for Frankenstein turbo but dealer said they didn't carry those but did have a full line of HKS and Turbonetics spoolers. Asked the guy at the counter if it'd work on my GSX and about an hour later I was having them custom fabricate a new header and I was making phone calls to Buschur Racing. Forked over some extra cash for APEXi Super AFC and Manual Boost control. About 4 paychecks (which was too much money invested) and had this beast on the street. I turned the boost up to 20 PSI regularly and man, you go through tires on a monthly basis. The T-66 is IMO the best ball-bearing turbo for the money. I was surprised this thing spooled up faster than the stock turbo and even had better response. Turbo lag was minimal. Too bad the clutch couldn't hold up...Had pretty much the same issues with my turbo'd CRX. Needless to say I've given up on small-displacement motors. Usually with these 4-bangers you have to spend tons of money making sure the internals are robust enough to withstand highboost and if you don't, running low-boost there's the constant pain of shifting in the "sweet spot." Slapping the turbo onto a V8 should take of all this. icon_wink.gif

BTW, I'm heading over to the yard again. Going to pick up a used alternator for a fraction of what the dealer wanted for a new one ($300). I'll ask about the differential while i'm there. I'll get back here and post as soon as i find out.

Funny thing, the latest issue of Autoworks (Japanese car mag) has a LHD 240Z dropping in the Q45 engine! Plus they're adding a single turbo, T78 hybrid I think...I may have time to scan the pictures if you can't get a hold of the mag, email me.

Owen

Guest Tht1KSguy

hey, let us know if u find out anything on the 300ZX tranny's too... i still haven't heard if they're the same TT or NA. T-66 huh? hmmmm did i see Scottie say on another post he got one for $675?? Are all T-66's bb turbos? i'd think a big single turbo in front of the engine would be easier to fab up piping etc. and if it spools quickly on a 2.0 i'd imagine the 4.5 would be spooled all the time. If i keep thinking about this too much longer i'm going to have to research some low CR pistons icon_biggrin.gif