HybridZ

4l60/80 underbody pics...

So, I'm still in the layout stages of the LS 240 build... Hell, we havent even brought the shell to the house yet. But, I'm toying with an idea thats near impossible... But I need some underbody shots of someones 60/80e build. T-56 is the most popular swap but the wife will one day be left paralyzed from the waist down and I'm going to then transfer the car over to hand control... But for now, we're building a 5.3/auto with paddle shift by TCI.

Anywho. I'd greatly appreciate anyone who could show me some trans mount area pics of a 4l60 or 80 swap!

Thanks guys!

Coming from the muscle car world, TCI has a pretty good rep and product. I dont care for their converters, Greg at FTI is amazing for that. FTI sells a street brawler 3200 for the 60e for like 330 but I know a dealer and have connections so I can get it for like 300 shipped. TCI's TCU gives further tuning control to the trans over traditional tuning via PCM. The paddle shifter will shift through forward gears, but obviously not P-R-N. From the reading I've done, even with paddle shifters you will not have engine braking properties with a normal valve body. So I'm considering a fully manual valve body but we'll see. First obviously is to be runnng and driving before even considering tracking the car to need it.

The lady prefers 6 speed but she has had two surgeries to correct her scoliosis and the final surgery has a high potential to leave her paralyzed waist down, but will ultimately end with that at some point if not immedately after surgery. Not worth the conversion work twice... I'm curious mark, as to what you have if you'd like to talk about it and where you're located in NC. We're looking to move to Colorado as soon as the Army allows, but we could combine heads and lend hands if you're near!

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/electronics/transmission-control-unithtml

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/paddle-shifter-with-displayhtml/

totaling at 980, this option is cheaper than any other paddle option on the market. I'm pretty stoked. I really wish I could make the Trail Blazer SS NV-149 transfer case fit underneath the Z. I dont think ground clearance would an issue  as much as the front end setup. Maybe when I have more fab options I could make it work. I wouldnt care if it sat a little higher than average if it was AWD. I know the weight probably wouldn't be worth it though.

Anywho, Thanks for the read Jay. I'll look at it when I get home from work here in a few, most of the content is blocked. lol I'm ready to get this thing started!

Mr Photo thanks for the great information. I am in the Greensboro area and the disease is myoshi myopathy. I had a 2000 LS1 and T56 out of a SS Camaro for the swap but sold it after driving a friends car with a T56. The clutch throw was just too tough for me to enjoy and since my disease is progressive it wasn't ever going to make sense. Now I am in the planning, parts collecting stage again. I have converted the front brakes to the toyo set up, back brakes are next then pulling a good running L26 with an auto out to make room for whatever I run with. I have a r200 ready to go in and some other parts ready. Using a 5.3 out of a 2 wheel pick up is looking like a solid option to get up and running cheap so I can work out the kinks. A L33 would save some weight with the aluminum block. I need to start a thread to get some solid advice on mounts, kits, which LS motors will make the most sense and etc. I have read all the threads until I am cross-eyed but figured with the awesome knowledge assembled here the advice would save me a lot of headaches.

The pix referenced are mine.  I was looking at the TCI paddle shift setup as well at one time, but the transmission (especially the 60E) really needs to be beefed up to handle the downshifts.  The upshifts are fine, it is the downshifts that really put a strain on the units.  Still, it would be nice.....

post-45687-0-48074700-1425444437_thumb.jpgpost-45687-0-62806000-1425444501_thumb.jpgpost-45687-0-62806000-1425444501_thumb.jpg

I used JCI For the LT1 and 4L60e, Sanderson Ceramic block hugger headers. Stock Datsun shifter used the JTR speedometer conversion to keep the stock speedometer. Johns Cars was very helpful no problems with his kit. Direct bolt in, no modification with the hammer.

hcarr you have a nice clean looking install. Thank you for the info and pics. I am leaning towards JCI for mounts but the potential for engine braking has me rethinking transmission options. I am headed to see a friend of mine today that owns a transmission shop so I can quiz him about options and the 6L90 and sizes etc.

Edited by Marks260z

You'll need to clearance the tunnel on the passenger side where the tunnel enters the engine bay.  Other than that it fits fine.  I am using JCI's mount as well and there are no issues to date.  The T56 uses the same style mount.

I believe there are people using or going to use the 4L80E as it is stouter, but if you rebuild/upgrade the 60E you should be fine.  You'll need to do that anyway regardless of the transmission if you want paddle shifts.

I have JTR shorties as well, feeding 2-1/2 pipes to a y-pipe and into a 3-in.  I am using a modified stock gas tank so that was my only real option.  I like the stock look and did not want a fuel cell.

My shifter is a B&M Stealth Pro ratchet shifter.  I created a steel cradle that dropped the shifter into the tunnel right about the tail housing of the transmission.

post-1734-0-15535800-1425517733_thumb.jpg

Work will start soon on my 280ZX with a LS3 and 4L80E auto that will be controlled by a paddle or bump shifter using a Powertrain Control Solutions valve body which facilitates engine braking. For my race purposes a 4L60E behind a 520hp engine was not going to do it, particularly on the downshifts.

Don't know how the 80E is going to fit in the ZX's tunnel, there is a Tremec five speed in there presently. Have done a hell of a lot of research on which auto to use and am confident that the 80E is the best choice, on my budget anyway.

I'll fully respond later, I'm yet again running on fumes on shift...

but the 60e is a decent transmission for low HP builds in stock form. The 65e (5 planet, couple other things ) came behind the LS2 with 400 HP and the 60e came in the LS1 cars with 350 hp. I'm probably 330-340 RWHP in my GTO with my stock trans and tune and it shifts nice. The downshifts do hurt the trans more than anything, but the 2-3 shift is always going to be lazy in stock form.

I have a buddy right now running a plate kit on his cam-only LS1 camaro that put down 580 on gas with a stock trans... So anything can be done. I would run 80e if you can afford it from the get go. The 80e is the best out there as-is but if youre going to be beating on it as I will, a cooler, new clutch packs, solenoids and some VB work will do you a world of difference.

@mark, the clutch could be adjusted to fit your needs with pedal and master adjustment. The old lady's left leg was left partially disabled from an injury and we have her clutch set to within 3 inches of the top. You litterally can drive it with your big toe if it were strong enough lol

There are a couple 80's in the z platform but the 60 takes some BFH massaging, I can imagine there is quite a bit for the 80. I'm just going with the 60e for now I believe...

Mr Photo thanks for the great information. I am in the Greensboro area and the disease is myoshi myopathy. I had a 2000 LS1 and T56 out of a SS Camaro for the swap but sold it after driving a friends car with a T56. The clutch throw was just too tough for me to enjoy and since my disease is progressive it wasn't ever going to make sense. Now I am in the planning, parts collecting stage again. I have converted the front brakes to the toyo set up, back brakes are next then pulling a good running L26 with an auto out to make room for whatever I run with. I have a r200 ready to go in and some other parts ready. Using a 5.3 out of a 2 wheel pick up is looking like a solid option to get up and running cheap so I can work out the kinks. A L33 would save some weight with the aluminum block. I need to start a thread to get some solid advice on mounts, kits, which LS motors will make the most sense and etc. I have read all the threads until I am cross-eyed but figured with the awesome knowledge assembled here the advice would save me a lot of headaches.

Also, JCI said their headers/mounts work great... And priced well. The 5.3 from a 1500 pickup is a great option, thats what I'm going with. I also know a fella who just ran a 77mm billet turbo, intake and cam and made just over 800 on stock bottom end. I've got some info for PCM wiring saved away, so maybe we can wire up together. lol Also have a local tuner who will make anything on the PCM work for cheap.

I am running a 4L80E in my 240Z with very little work, motor is in with Johns kit. I am also running long tube headers with dual 3" exhaust muffler is a dual 3" in/out dynomax muffler I believe.  I will post pic's, just got to find them!

I am running a 4L80E in my 240Z with very little work, motor is in with Johns kit. I am also running long tube headers with dual 3" exhaust muffler is a dual 3" in/out dynomax muffler I believe.  I will post pic's, just got to find them!

Long tube headers with johns kit.... Nice! Did you have the headers custom made?

I am thinking whichever trans I can get a great deal on as an engine trans combo. MrPhoto I am hoping to start work early May on it so if you ready for wiring then just let me know.

Definintely down for helping anyone...Early may is good with me outside of ZDayZ, which we'll be taking the 350 to. Still in search of a z car for me... Know of a roller up your way? 40/60/80 lol