HybridZ

SR20DET into a nissan 240sx?

Hey guys, one of my buddies is paying me some good money to build him a rice rocket 240sx. We already have the car and plan to get a sr20det for it. My question is whether any of you have done this, seen it done, or know where a good place to get the power plant is.

I figured its a hybrid so why not ask. GEE, i wonder if the grand national motor might fit! Whew, may be a change of plans here. Just thought about that. Ill have to take some measurements.

Evan icon_smile.gif

PS... any one else notice im OBSESSED with the GN drivetrane? LOL icon_biggrin.gif

the sr20det swap is a good swap, but not as good as slapping a turbo kit on the stock ka24e motor. The advantage of the sr20det is that the motor can handle insane amount of boost on the stock bottom end, and put out a lot of power. But you know, you still get better results with bigger displacement along with the same turbo icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I second that motion!! icon_biggrin.gif I've been in plenty of 240sx's to tell you that the SR20DET is a great swap but not as good as turbo'ing the KA24DE. I've never driven an SR20DET 240sx but I'll tell you that it has a reputation for being a high-strung motor and with the same amount of boost, the KA24DET would have plenty more low-end juice while still matching the SR20DET's high-end power if not eclipsing it. About the only bad thing about the KA24DE is that it is a loud motor but just use some dynamat and your problem will be solved. To me, the 50-60 pounds you save with the SR swap just can't justify importing the engine and the hassle of putting it in. However, if you are set on doing this, SR20DET's are popping up everywhere just check out Ebay or ThePartsTrader.

Hmm I generally prefer a little more displacement for some low end grunt. The 2.4l has one of best low end torque of any 4cyl I have driven. Now from what I have read the SR20det has amazing low end torque for a 2.0l, and you would surely make it up in top end.

My pick would be an SR20DET, you give up a bit in torque, however the you gain so much up top. Plus who can leave one of these motors stock, 350hp is so easy. The fuel system and all the mods that need to be done to the KA24.

A stock SR20det against an turbo KA24, the KA will be more impressive. However the SR20det will be more reliable and can give you more power for less $$ in the long run. Shop around and make sure you get all EFI it can add up.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: clint78z ]

Guest Anonymous

i like the SR20. one of my favorite motors. for info on getting them and what not check out the fresalloy.com forums. HUUUUUUUUGE 240sx forum.

Guest Anonymous

Oh hey, since you are building up a 240sx I forgot to mention that I do have brake calipers, pads and rotors from a Q45 if you want them. Some folks have installed these on their 240sx's and they work like a dream. Mind you, I'm not using stock rotors or pads, I have Powerstop rotors with Axxis MM pads. If you don't have ABS, these will be even better. Some guy who had ABS installed the 300ZX calipers and said they don't work in emergency braking situations. So anyways, if you want them, just let me know.

Search the net for a 200sx with a 2.0 turbo. They there available a short time in other countries before they made the new 200sx. Ask if the 1.8 turbo 200 sx motormounts fit i think they do. Look at this english site www.norrisdesigns.com

They make 400 hp 1.8 engines

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mospeed1

yes the sr20det in to a 249 sx is a hell of a car the j spec 240(silvia) comes with the sr2odet theres a company in japan (jun)that sells parts for the sr20 there car has 700 hp and runs 8.88@154 mph check back issue's of sport compact car magazine dec 1998 issue for an articale on this car or there site..junauto.co.jp/

Guest mospeed1

the ka motor was built for trucks and has alot of low end grunt parts for the sr20 are easy to find they sell the fwd version in the u.s as the sentra se-r 200sx se-r infinty g20 check out se-r.net for more info on the sr20

A turbo 2.4L would be nice but the potential of the SR20 is awesome. Just to give you some idea. One of my buddie's here in Orlando (and also a friend of Stony) has a RHD 1.8L Silvia. It has a T04, cam upgrade and SDS and it ran 12.0 @ 119 with a lot of wheelspin. We estimate about 345RWHP and is driven daily. As was previously stated, the SR20 will make 350RWHP very easily, BUT, remember you will always need parts.

The only 'bad' thing I've heard about the SR20 is that the aluminium block flexes when putting out a lot of power. This claim may have been realised by Nissan when they brought out a race version for some series in Japan.

That version is dry sumped and has what looks like a substantial cast iron 'sump', which is almost flat. Such a sump would assist in preventing block flex. I suppose that something similar could be fabricated.

Guest Anonymous

wana know what would be cooler a sr20det in a 240/280 one of the older ones id like to see this.. sence they say those motors are bad for there size and the z is deff bad for the price put 2 and 2 together well you think about it it would be cool

yep and that was the ca-18 not sr-20 ;> 1800cc motor putting out that much is cool... ive seen a 240 with a rb-26 jammed in it and it was modified 2.6 with putting like 500 to the tires. the thing just tore up nittos 555Rs the.

the engine compartment is kinda small and i would recommend an engine that is similar in length to teh stock motor. i like the gn motor for the 240sx as it would stay behind the strut mounts . anything longer and you get crapy weight distribution. my 2 cents

stony