HybridZ

l28 dies after 5 mins of running

hey guys, im new to the forum and new to datsuns. i picked up a 72 240 with an l28 & 5 speed for $700, the car is running su's, an electronic mallory ditributor with a brand new module, low pressure electric fuel pump feeding the stock mechanical pump, all new fuel line, cleaned carbs. all of this stuff is new as i thought i had a fuel problem, put a different coil on last night, fired it up this morning and let it idle for 5-10 mins. when i tried to take off it started to sputter like its starving for fuel then died. itll fire right up after about 30 mins.

any ideas?

10421297_600393603425712_740831256659593

10686639_598340070297732_820376318257991

11026133_602924383172634_383827644933533

all of this stuff is new as i thought i had a fuel problem, put a different coil on last night,

So the problem now is identical to the problem before all of the new stuff?  And the carb "cleaning"?  Have you tuned the carburetors?  Have you spent any time in the FMS's Fuel System chapter?

Just trying to establish a better state-of-the-situation.

the stock tank has sediment in it an was clogging all my filters, thought that was the problem so i put a plastic fuel cell in the back until i get my tank refurbished. its doing the same thing so im thinking its not a fuel problem. i havent tuned the carbs, not sure how to go about doing that, im reading up on that right now

Dying after running is usually limited to one of two problems (really generalizing here). 

Fuel starvation

Electrical current starvation

Throw a gauge on the return side using a t fitting to monitor the fuel pressure. If it drops to 0 then you know that your fuel pump is not supplying enough fuel due to a clogged filter, a clogged fuel line, an intermittent short etc etc.

Throw a multimeter on the battery and watch it and see if it gradually drops, a low current will fail to get full spark. Or after it dies see how hot the coil is. An overheating coil will also fail to keep a car going. Check the alternator and battery and search out other drains.