HybridZ

76 280z turbo conversion, need help with fuel/timing

Boog

Hi everyone,

I recently slapped a turbo on my recently rebuilt 76 280z. N42 block and head, stock electronics. I need suggestions on a couple of things. My plan is to convert to megasquirt this summer, but until then I just want something that will run fairly well until then. I have a wideband setup recently installed, stock turbo, turbo injectors, and a ported N42 head. I should be at about 8.3:1 compression. My questions are as follows:

1. Should I lock my mechanical advance completely, or only half way? 

2. What should my FPR be set at? 

3. What should my timing be set at?

I know a lot of this is dependent on my setup, and there is no correct answer, but I mainly just need to know where to start with it. I appreciate all input.

BE CAREFUL WITH TURBO-ING A STOCK IGNITION AND FUEL SETUP.

I made this mistake last year. "I'll just run low boost for now until I get my megadquirt setup" I blew my motor up within a week.

However I did not have a aftermarket fuel pressure regulator. You may be able to get away with it but be careful.

I would lock the mechanical advance in the dizzy and set it to 10° tdc. That gives you 15° on boost and you should be safe there. Just dont lean out.

I am in the process of locking the dizzy as I type. Thanks for the timing reference, I'll start there and adjust accordingly. 

Can you post pics on how you are locking it? I'm in the same boat as you and I've read that we would need a FMU rated at 8:1 I believe.

I hope you guys realized that the stock NA injectors are electrically incompatable with the turbo injectors...the N/A ECU will not run the turbo injectors without a resistor block.

Locking the dizzy will help, but ultimately you are going to be driving a time bomb until you can get your MS installed...it's about 600$ away since you've already got the wideband installed, just wait and do it right the first time.

Is it worth the cost of a second rebuild, just to drive it for a few weeks??

Why are the injectors different between turbo and NA again?

I think this is in error. Just because there is no resistor pack doesn't mean the injectors changed, just the driver circuits in the ECU.

I believe its pin #1 on the 280z ecu harness connector. Anyway if you wire that pin to the pin on Megasquirt for the rpm signal it works perfectly however you dont get ignition tuning.  You also need to go into Tunerstudio and run it as fuel only. It works well if your not running more then 8psi, Anything over and you really should run megasquirt for timing.