S30 Ultimate 8.8 IRS Swap Kit!

8.8 IRS rear end swap cv joints axles strong kit

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 spitsnaugle

spitsnaugle
  • LocationDayton Ohio

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

I'm not dead! Just really busy! I plan on making some more soon. Don't lose hope in me yet!

-Will

So, its almost been a few months... any updates?

1971/2 Datsun 240z, Currently swapping in a mild-built carb'd LS1.
Daily Driver: '09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI - Malone Tuned,  45+mpg 

#62 MrPhotographer06

MrPhotographer06
  • LocationFayetteville, NC

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:16 AM

I am in need of a pair of the inner stubs... 

JAWZ LSTT 240z
Iron Block 5.7; LJMS TT Cam; Twin GT35's; Custom Log Manifolds 4L60e with TCI Paddles
Custom Double Wishbone Front Suspension; Custom 8.8 IRS, 4pt Roll Bar
At least that's whats in the works...- Cam

#63 rigo91595

rigo91595
  • Locationlos angeles

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:05 PM

Hey I'd like to purchase a kit if you can pm to set it up id really appreciate it thanks

#64 spitsnaugle

spitsnaugle
  • LocationDayton Ohio

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hey I'd like to purchase a kit if you can pm to set it up id really appreciate it thanks

Will has been MIA since January. I've tried to contact him via here, private message, and Facebook. I wouldn't hold your breath.  

I've been sitting on this rear end for months, don't think I can wait much longer so I've already started mocking up a mustache bar, screen shot below of one of the bushing mounts. I'm not sharing the bar's design till its more polished. It'll be .5" 6061 aluminum, with .25" deep recesses cut in to save a few grams of weight.  I plan to alter a Ron Tyler design for the front mounts.  

5JSq4BO.png?

1971/2 Datsun 240z, Currently swapping in a mild-built carb'd LS1.
Daily Driver: '09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI - Malone Tuned,  45+mpg 

#65 crapforum

crapforum
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

Let me know if you make the mounts. I've been missing the LSD life

#66 Ryan Merrill

Ryan Merrill
  • LocationNewcastle Ontario

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

if anyone has one of the original kits please message me. I would be happy to buy the kit and make more for the Datsun crowd. My best friend own a shop who can produce these a minimal cost. I would like to sell them like wriffits orginally dod for pretty much cost.  I would have him fabricate my own design but the initial cost is too great, Hrm. Maybe I should do a kickstarter

#67 zcardepot.com

zcardepot.com
  • LocationMO

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:06 AM

Not trying to hijack this thread at all and please delete if needed as I realize this thread is more about building your own mounts on a budget.

We have in stock an 8.8 diff mount for the S30. We also have all of the axles for a direct bolt in kit that can been installed in a few hours.   

https://zcardepot.co...ml?search=ford

Thanks,   Ryan
Zcardepot

#68 Ryan Merrill

Ryan Merrill

Posted 02 November 2016 - 01:36 PM

Ryan is it possible to make a more budget friendly axle setup like the one from this thread? I really dont think I need to spend well over 3k FOR 350 WHP  LS engine.

Secondly, if we must buy the diff cover why not have is as one package instead of the drop down menu?

Third. Do you have a link to a complete kit with every new bolt required?. I would like to purchase everything at once.

Edited by Ryan Merrill, 02 November 2016 - 01:41 PM.

#69 05plsrt4

05plsrt4
  • LocationOntario

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:15 PM

Not trying to hijack this thread at all and please delete if needed as I realize this thread is more about building your own mounts on a budget.

We have in stock an 8.8 diff mount for the S30. We also have all of the axles for a direct bolt in kit that can been installed in a few hours.   

https://zcardepot.co...ml?search=ford

Thanks,   Ryan
Zcardepot

I am interested but the price seems a little high for what you get.

#70 zcardepot.com

zcardepot.com
  • LocationMO

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:20 AM

As has been proven with this thread that putting together an affordable 8.8 swap is difficult and time consuming.  We decided that sourcing parts from the salvage yard and trying to piece together odd ball parts does not make for good business for us or the customer.  So to avoid these issues we ended up with what we have.  Our mounting bracket is built by one of the best chassis shops in the country, made in the USA, because "the guy in his garage working evenings" just wasnt getting it done.   

The complete swap kit is expensive and that is why we try to sell it broke down as much as possible so that the DIY guy can buy as little as he wants.  Any cover can me modified to work with this bracket but we had to choose one cover to design the mounting bracket around.  The axles we offer are the best and strongest on the market and fit the stock suspension with no modifications.  These are New made in the USA parts that we do not have to comb the scrap yards to get.  

Three years ago I wanted a 8.8 swap for my S30 that I could install in a weekend and nothing was available, to this day I dont know of anyone else offering anything.  We now offer this kit that can be installed in a matter of hours with no welding or cutting, just bolts in.  

At Zcardepot we understand that everyone has a budget and that we all want the best parts for the lowest price.  Some people are willing to spend countless hours and some are willing to spend countless dollars.  There is simply not a low budget 8.8 swap without putting a lot of your own time and fabrication work into it.

#71 zcardepot.com

zcardepot.com
  • LocationMO

Posted 11 November 2016 - 06:28 AM

Ryan is it possible to make a more budget friendly axle setup like the one from this thread? I really dont think I need to spend well over 3k FOR 350 WHP  LS engine.

Secondly, if we must buy the diff cover why not have is as one package instead of the drop down menu?

Third. Do you have a link to a complete kit with every new bolt required?. I would like to purchase everything at once.

We are considering making a 28/31 spline 8.8 axle stub to connect to stock U-joint axles for guys running the L6.  This is something that can probably be used with a stock V8 also with some success.   As stated in the post above that any cover can be made to work with this bracket with enough grinding, we have even used the stock explorer cover with our mount.  So trying to keep options for people on a limited budget.   

On the list of to do's.......................

Edited by zcardepot.com, 11 November 2016 - 06:30 AM.

#72 yellowoctupus

yellowoctupus
  • LocationSilverdale, WA

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:49 PM

We are considering making a 28/31 spline 8.8 axle stub to connect to stock U-joint axles for guys running the L6.

Personally, I don't think you should bother.  I think very few people who go through the bother of running an 8.8 would want to include in their plans the number 1 weak link, being the stock U-Joint style halfshafts. 

th_280z8.jpg?t=1288666770

Phil - 1978 280z + 4.6L SOHC DOHC Ford, just a 300hp Lincoln Engine Folks, nothing to see here....

#73 1vicissitude

1vicissitude
  • LocationAnaheim Hills, CA

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:28 AM

If anything, priority should be a new hub like Will's setup that runs a larger diameter stub axle. Running 300m stubs in the stock OD is still a gamble with the big hp crowd, which is really who will be looking at a 8.8 swap.

A hub that uses a larger OD stub with the 930cv bolt pattern would be popular even with the r200 crowd. R200 can handle v8s, it's the axle stubs that will fail. It could be used with any rear end if the stub had 930cv bolt pattern. There are a lot more people running R200s and R230s than 8.8s, should appeal to a broader market. It is the weak link.

Edited by 1vicissitude, 13 November 2016 - 03:35 AM.

#74 Ryan Merrill

Ryan Merrill

Posted 05 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

Problem is the lack of gear selection with the R180/200/230

#75 ladams17

ladams17
  • LocationPort Huron, MI

Posted 4 days ago

I have one of Will's kits and was going to sell it a while back. Ended up keeping it and I'm glad I did because it is a great kit. I run a small company that already allows for me to be full time in the shop and I have tossed around with my fabricator the idea of producing more of these kits, exactly like Will's to allow for guys to swap the 8.8 into the S30. I realize there are more options now for guys then when I bought my from Will. 

I am just testing the waters here but "if" I could produce the exact same kit for around the same price as Will's (1500) in a reasonable timeframe would anyone be interested in purchasing them? 

PM me or reply on this thread with your thoughts...

#76 seattlejester

seattlejester
  • LocationBellevue, WASHINGTON

Posted 3 days ago

Please stop posting in other people's threads. Please make your own.

Also if you are reproducing someone else's kit. Please ask for permission to do so.

#77 260DET

260DET
  • LocationWarwick, Q, Australia

Posted 2 days ago

If anything, priority should be a new hub like Will's setup that runs a larger diameter stub axle. Running 300m stubs in the stock OD is still a gamble with the big hp crowd, which is really who will be looking at a 8.8 swap.

A hub that uses a larger OD stub with the 930cv bolt pattern would be popular even with the r200 crowd. R200 can handle v8s, it's the axle stubs that will fail. It could be used with any rear end if the stub had 930cv bolt pattern. There are a lot more people running R200s and R230s than 8.8s, should appeal to a broader market. It is the weak link.

For circuit racing long nose R200's quit at about 600 RWHP, severe vibration followed by pinion failure. Don't know if the short nose R200 does better, the shorter pinion shaft may count.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 8.8, IRS, rear, end, swap, cv, joints, axles, strong, kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users