HybridZ

I'm new and would like some help with I.D.

Hey everybody i'm new here, have read a lot of stuff but I couldn't what I needed through here or google. Long story short I bought someone else's problems, the car came with a turbo 400 and a mild build on a Chevy 350. I was wondering what the things in this picture called? I have tried finding them but I don't know whats z and what's not. The p/o said he has it running and I can get it to turn over by jumping the starter solenoid so i think it might be wiring but I haven't gotten far enough to dig into wiring mostly because I don't know what's what. Thank you for all your help. p.s. what is the second set of heater hoses for? drivers side is hooked up. 

In photo1 what are these boxes and what do they do?

In photo 2 and 3 are these wires for the z or needed?

Photo 4 is just a pic of the hoses I am asking about

Thank you for any help you can give.

post-48883-0-69734000-1426537090_thumb.jpg

post-48883-0-25657800-1426537112_thumb.jpg

post-48883-0-72982400-1426537138_thumb.jpg

post-48883-0-96465800-1426537157_thumb.jpg

Before you get flamed on here let me give you some advice.

1. State the year and model, they are different especially the wiring.

2. Download the service manual for your car, it will help you identify the parts you have questions about.

3. Understand the systems/parts you are working on, the interwebs has a huge amout of mostly correct information.

4. Do your homework, dig under the dash and see where the mystery hoses go. Find the part that wire connection fits.

5. When you are troubleshooting focus on the system that you believe isn't working. I imagine you are looking at the whole car and saying how the hell is this thing going to work and getting overwhelmed.

6. Ask clear and concise questions, no one will answer without you doing 1 through 5 above.

The guys on here are good dudes with a ton of knowledge but will not help with unanswerable questions like you have above.

Oh and #7 get a multimeter, you're gonna need it!

Welcome and good luck

Suggestions:

• If doing a V8 swap buy the Jags that Run (JTR) book and read it at least 5 times. Good to have if you bought a v8 Z car.
  • Download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) and buy a Haynes repair manual for your specific car.
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching.
  • Focus on searching Hybridz as 99% of questions have already been addressed.
  • Make a detailed plan with parts list including cost.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers - there are many!
  • Remember these are 40 year old cars and will need restoration to be safe and drivable.
  • Join ClassicZCars.com website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about modifications before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions.
  • Have some money. I stopped counting after $12k.
  • Read the new member FAQs.

Useful Links:

http://zhome.com/

http://www.atlanticz.ca/index.php/tech-tips.html

http://www.classiczcars.com/index

http://www.zcarparts.com/

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/zZxCatalog.htm

http://www.arizonazcar.com/

Its a 78 280z coup no back seat. I bought the car as it sits so i really don't know what is original z and what was hacked into it. I have searched and have multiple z manuals. the problem is i'm more a picture person and tried to find stuff but must of missed something. ill check those links out but honestly unless there is pictures of the exact part im kind of sol because of how the p/o did things. I bought it mostly for the motor. like i said bought someone else problems

The Service Manual is full of drawings, very well-done.  The internet is full of pictures.  Even a car with intact original parts is a complicated project.

More help - Body Electrical chapter for the links and those parts.  

The good news for you is that the 350 SBC and TH400 combo has very little GM wiring, so most of what you'll find will be Datsun wiring.  As stated, get the JTR book, it is invaluable.  As are the Datsun wiring diagrams.  I bought the Helms Repair manual for my 280Z (about $100) which also invaluable for identifying wiring and specific circuits.  There may be cheaper options for you as well from Haynes or online sources. The previous post about the white wires with red stripes being from the fusible links is also correct, and essential for the rest of the vehicle's wiring.  They are pretty easy to recreate once you have the wiring diagram, and you can replace the fusible links with large inline fuses which will be easier to maintain over time.  Some of the disconnected wiring (under dash and engine compartment) will not be essential since the SBC bypasses most of the wires in the ignition module and voltage regulator.  The JTR manual will tell you which wires are needed, and where to connect them.  Take it slow and go system by system.

Ask very specific questions and provide as much detail as you have, and you'll find a lot of help on this forum.  I find that if I ask too many questions at once, I don't get as many replies.  But if I break my questions up into separate posts, I get really good advice.  Also search as many topics/search terms as you can before you post since there are thousands of threads here with many questions already asked and answered.  Good luck.