HybridZ

Nearing the end of the rope on my 280z (text heavy)

Hey, been a while but ive had some other ups and downs with the car since but it is currently running well, could use a tune up and new plugs although still having this mystery  problem of dying after a while of running.

I was  reading an article that mentioned the later 280zx's fuel pump engages as soon as the key is turned, while the 280's fuel pump only kicks on when the starter cranks. In my z, the fuel pump acts like a 79-83 zx by turning on as soon as i turn the key to the accesory position. perhaps it contributes, i suspect it does.

but ive provided most of the information accoring to seattlejester's chart

i do have spark and fuel pressure when the car wont start

"the car dies when"

It doesnt matter how hot or cold it is, the car will die, although a warm day will bring about the problem sooner

It has been running for 10-15 minutes

After cooling for 30-120(depending on temperature and/or direct sunlight) minutes I can start it again

It takes 3 seconds of cranking before it starts when it decides it wants to start again

The battery voltage is 12 volts at resting

The battery voltage is 12 volts while running

i dont know how warm the coil is when it dies i can go for a run

The coil is no longer warm before it can start again

Edited by SoCal'77

i do have spark and fuel pressure when the car wont start

Do you have power to the injectors?  Have you tried starting with starter fluid?  Is the engine flooding with fuel and the wait time is for things to dry out (pull a spark plug and see if it's wet or dry), or is it not starting because it's too dry.

You were on the right track, confirming spark and fuel pressure.  Now just figure out if the spark is strong enough, and if the injectors are opening when they should.  You have to get under the hood with a meter, and a few other tools.

I do have power to the injectors but i should check while its stalling, i have not tried starting it with starter fluid.

The most recent update

Okay so I took the car out last night around 60 degrees ran fine (didnt push it hard)

today its been sitting in the 85 degree sunlight and when i tried to start it, it would turn over but run very choppy while blowing smoke. if i gave it gas it would shoot up to 2-3k rpm healthily before it would start choking and cutting down. eventually the car died out, doesnt want to start up. bet if i wait until about 7 oclock it would start up fine.

as you said checking the spark strength, is there something that could reduce the power of the spark due to surrounding temperatures?