HybridZ

Side mirrors that don't suck

BLOZ UP

I am looking for a chrome vintage style mirror to replace the stock one on my 260Z that can be bolted on from the outside.  That's how I stumbled onto this thread.  

My .02 cents....Over 30 years ago I installed a pair of Vitaloni Baby Turbos on my '77.  As far as I know, they are still on that Z.  I was completely satisfied....great visibilty (no vibration), blue anti-glare tint, never lost their setting (never moved).  I don't know if Vitaloni makes them any more....that's why the NOS ones go for so much money.  

I would buy a pair now but I am trying to maintain the vintage look on my 260Z.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what its worth, motorcycle mirrors put up with a lot more wind resistance, vibration and bumps. I did a google search for magical racing mirrors on cars and S2000 guys really took a liking to them. You can also see some mounted on race cars. I'm pretty confident they'll do the job well. Its just a steep price for entry.

I bought a set of Lockhart Phillips Race Lite a while back which look very much like the Type-1 Magical Racing mirrors but are less than half the price.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LP-USA-SPORTBIKE-CARBON-FIBER-RACE-LITE-MIRRORS-55MM-WITH-CHROME-STEM-BASE.html

• 2 months later...

I bought a set of Lockhart Phillips Race Lite a while back which look very much like the Type-1 Magical Racing mirrors but are less than half the price.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LP-USA-SPORTBIKE-CARBON-FIBER-RACE-LITE-MIRRORS-55MM-WITH-CHROME-STEM-BASE.html

Thanks for the heads up on the cf mirrors.  I just ordered a set for $119 shipped ....  :2thumbs:

I haven't driven the car with them on but they seem to be solid with the M6 rivnuts I used!

Hm, I might get those instead them. Looks like balljoint though at the base of the mirror? That's what I have now and it's terrible.

I don't want to drill into the window trim to install the MSA mirrors that are sitting in my garage, these would only require one more hole where there already is one for my current mirrors...

It is a ball joint but I'm just planning to set them in one position then lock it it place with JB Weld or silicone and thread lock the screws as I'm the only driver!

They are bike mirrors so they should stand up to some punishment!

Edited by Mark N

I picked up a set of those mirrors after seeing the post earlier in the week. They're pretty decent quality, far better than the rotting plastic MSA mirrors I've had for years. All the hardware is metal and the chrome seems nice enough. I could care less about the carbon fiber, but the finish and weave is good. I haven't mounted them yet, but the ball joint feels very solid. The mirror glass is more brown than silver, but it doesn't warp much.

My only complaint is that the edge where it was cut out of the mold was left unfinished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...