HybridZ
BLOZ UP

Side mirrors that don't suck

Six_Shooter    13

I had the Flush mount Mirrors (Nigel's old set to be exact) and a couple years ago switched to the ZZAP style mirror, which yours may be BLOZ UP, since they are styled the same way as the MSA ones you linked to. I have not had any issues with the mirrors being loose or moving around.

I did notice the flush mount mirrors had more viewing area, but don't mind the smaller ZZAP style mirrors, since I think they look better on the car and still have enough viewing area for my driving style. I do shoulder checks if I'm going to move over a lane anyway.

I have a set of APR GT3 style universal mirrors stashed away that I might install on my car this year, but the carbon fibre look has kept me from putting them on. I also have them stashed to use on my bike, if I ever get that project running and my licence... 

Zetsaz    4

Anyone know where I might be able to find something like these? I've yet to find any sort of build thread on this guy's car, but I like the more modern look they have. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a video of the same car if that helps.

Edited by Zetsaz

thedarkie    2

I'm gonna leave this link here in case anyone is brave enough to try some very high quality motorcycle mirrors on their Z. I had a set way back when on a bike and they were bloody awesome. I'm tempted.....

http://www.moto-works.jp/products/rr-mirrors.html

Edited by thedarkie

JohnH    10

This is a real pet peave of mine. I'm still in the process of looking for decent door mirrors, I had the MSA racing style mirrors & they were just plain crap. They were loose, cheaply made & one retaining mechanism on a plastic base failed. I next bought the Vitaloni California mirrors from MSA (currently on the car). They are also crap. Poor visibilty & I cannot get the retaining screw tight enough on the arm for them to stay put so they end up sagging at speed. Contemplating JB welding them in place. I was also looking into the Pegasus GT mirrors & ebay open wheel racing style ones (similar to one posted in this thread) but that arm/mirror style appears to be flimsy based on a screw set & ball socket joint & sometimes 2 pivot sockets a mirror. Although those high quality motorcycle mirrors thedarkie posted look interesting I think what is needed is a solid body mirror enclosure where the mirror lense itself is the only part that moves. I remember really liking the door mirrors on the 280ZX I had. I have one spare right side that I'm going to test fit next. I also heard the first gen RX7 has decent door mirrors for an S30.

str8pipez    3

Anyone know where I might be able to find something like these? I've yet to find any sort of build thread on this guy's car, but I like the more modern look they have. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a video of the same car if that helps.

Pegasus Racing sells those.

thedarkie    2

This is a real pet peave of mine. I'm still in the process of looking for decent door mirrors, I had the MSA racing style mirrors & they were just plain crap. They were loose, cheaply made & one retaining mechanism on a plastic base failed. I next bought the Vitaloni California mirrors from MSA (currently on the car). They are also crap. Poor visibilty & I cannot get the retaining screw tight enough on the arm for them to stay put so they end up sagging at speed. Contemplating JB welding them in place. I was also looking into the Pegasus GT mirrors & ebay open wheel racing style ones (similar to one posted in this thread) but that arm/mirror style appears to be flimsy based on a screw set & ball socket joint & sometimes 2 pivot sockets a mirror. Although those high quality motorcycle mirrors thedarkie posted look interesting I think what is needed is a solid body mirror enclosure where the mirror lense itself is the only part that moves. I remember really liking the door mirrors on the 280ZX I had. I have one spare right side that I'm going to test fit next. I also heard the first gen RX7 has decent door mirrors for an S30.

For what its worth, motorcycle mirrors put up with a lot more wind resistance, vibration and bumps. I did a google search for magical racing mirrors on cars and S2000 guys really took a liking to them. You can also see some mounted on race cars. I'm pretty confident they'll do the job well. Its just a steep price for entry.

socorob    4

This is a real pet peave of mine. I'm still in the process of looking for decent door mirrors, I had the MSA racing style mirrors & they were just plain crap. They were loose, cheaply made & one retaining mechanism on a plastic base failed. I next bought the Vitaloni California mirrors from MSA (currently on the car). They are also crap. Poor visibilty & I cannot get the retaining screw tight enough on the arm for them to stay put so they end up sagging at speed. Contemplating JB welding them in place. I was also looking into the Pegasus GT mirrors & ebay open wheel racing style ones (similar to one posted in this thread) but that arm/mirror style appears to be flimsy based on a screw set & ball socket joint & sometimes 2 pivot sockets a mirror. Although those high quality motorcycle mirrors thedarkie posted look interesting I think what is needed is a solid body mirror enclosure where the mirror lense itself is the only part that moves. I remember really liking the door mirrors on the 280ZX I had. I have one spare right side that I'm going to test fit next. I also heard the first gen RX7 has decent door mirrors for an S30.

I put a number 6 or 8 (can't remember which size) stainless washer in the pivot part and now it tightens up fine. I had the same problem before with my californians. I got the convex lenses which help. While the view isn't good by any means, it's much better than the stock 280z mirrors, plus I have a passenger mirror now also. These cars are just hard to find any mirrors that work. I pushed them as far forward as I possibly could on the door, so they are at a better viewing angle, which I think is a must, as the Z mirrors were too far back.  I had the same problem on my last car which was an old roadster, and ended up using Yamaha motorcycle mirrors.

Edited by socorob

johnnyddn    10

Is there a difference between side mirror mounting holes on a 240z vs a 280z?  I'm looking to get an old school 240z style chrome mirror for my 280z.  The original plastic one crumbled over time.  This picture of a 240z looks like the big and small mounting holes are reversed.  Could anyone point me in the right direction of a chrome replacement mirror that could reuse the stock holes?  Thanks.

Here's what the mounting holes on my 1978 280z look like.  

20150823_163717_zps0qnbct2h.jpg

20150823_163648_zpsde47wx3y.jpg

This is supposed to be an OEM 240z mirror.  But notice how the big hole is on the wrong side.   

1070.2.jpg

1070.1.jpg

Edited by johnnyddn

ktm    17

For a while I ran the 280zx power mirrors in my car and used a 1992 Maxima power mirror switch to control both of them.  I loved them, but wanted to go the fender mirror route later on.  Below are some old pictures of how the driver side looked.

post-1734-0-60748000-1440975858_thumb.jpg

post-1734-0-49508300-1440975860_thumb.jpg

post-1734-0-16428600-1440975862_thumb.jpg

Dan_Austin    10

I am surprised Miata mirrors have not been mentioned yet.  Door mounted with

a very similar curve to the door where they mount.  I choose a manual set for

easier install, and my only complaint is people whacking them in parking lots.

Not old school classic looks, but not hideous and very functional.