HybridZ

Side mirrors that don't suck

BLOZ UP

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a real pet peave of mine. I'm still in the process of looking for decent door mirrors, I had the MSA racing style mirrors & they were just plain crap. They were loose, cheaply made & one retaining mechanism on a plastic base failed. I next bought the Vitaloni California mirrors from MSA (currently on the car). They are also crap. Poor visibilty & I cannot get the retaining screw tight enough on the arm for them to stay put so they end up sagging at speed. Contemplating JB welding them in place. I was also looking into the Pegasus GT mirrors & ebay open wheel racing style ones (similar to one posted in this thread) but that arm/mirror style appears to be flimsy based on a screw set & ball socket joint & sometimes 2 pivot sockets a mirror. Although those high quality motorcycle mirrors thedarkie posted look interesting I think what is needed is a solid body mirror enclosure where the mirror lense itself is the only part that moves. I remember really liking the door mirrors on the 280ZX I had. I have one spare right side that I'm going to test fit next. I also heard the first gen RX7 has decent door mirrors for an S30.

For what its worth, motorcycle mirrors put up with a lot more wind resistance, vibration and bumps. I did a google search for magical racing mirrors on cars and S2000 guys really took a liking to them. You can also see some mounted on race cars. I'm pretty confident they'll do the job well. Its just a steep price for entry.

This is a real pet peave of mine. I'm still in the process of looking for decent door mirrors, I had the MSA racing style mirrors & they were just plain crap. They were loose, cheaply made & one retaining mechanism on a plastic base failed. I next bought the Vitaloni California mirrors from MSA (currently on the car). They are also crap. Poor visibilty & I cannot get the retaining screw tight enough on the arm for them to stay put so they end up sagging at speed. Contemplating JB welding them in place. I was also looking into the Pegasus GT mirrors & ebay open wheel racing style ones (similar to one posted in this thread) but that arm/mirror style appears to be flimsy based on a screw set & ball socket joint & sometimes 2 pivot sockets a mirror. Although those high quality motorcycle mirrors thedarkie posted look interesting I think what is needed is a solid body mirror enclosure where the mirror lense itself is the only part that moves. I remember really liking the door mirrors on the 280ZX I had. I have one spare right side that I'm going to test fit next. I also heard the first gen RX7 has decent door mirrors for an S30.

I put a number 6 or 8 (can't remember which size) stainless washer in the pivot part and now it tightens up fine. I had the same problem before with my californians. I got the convex lenses which help. While the view isn't good by any means, it's much better than the stock 280z mirrors, plus I have a passenger mirror now also. These cars are just hard to find any mirrors that work. I pushed them as far forward as I possibly could on the door, so they are at a better viewing angle, which I think is a must, as the Z mirrors were too far back.  I had the same problem on my last car which was an old roadster, and ended up using Yamaha motorcycle mirrors.

Edited by socorob

• 4 months later...

Is there a difference between side mirror mounting holes on a 240z vs a 280z?  I'm looking to get an old school 240z style chrome mirror for my 280z.  The original plastic one crumbled over time.  This picture of a 240z looks like the big and small mounting holes are reversed.  Could anyone point me in the right direction of a chrome replacement mirror that could reuse the stock holes?  Thanks.

Here's what the mounting holes on my 1978 280z look like.  

20150823_163717_zps0qnbct2h.jpg

20150823_163648_zpsde47wx3y.jpg

This is supposed to be an OEM 240z mirror.  But notice how the big hole is on the wrong side.   

1070.2.jpg

1070.1.jpg

Edited by johnnyddn

For a while I ran the 280zx power mirrors in my car and used a 1992 Maxima power mirror switch to control both of them.  I loved them, but wanted to go the fender mirror route later on.  Below are some old pictures of how the driver side looked.

post-1734-0-60748000-1440975858_thumb.jpg

post-1734-0-49508300-1440975860_thumb.jpg

post-1734-0-16428600-1440975862_thumb.jpg

I am surprised Miata mirrors have not been mentioned yet.  Door mounted with

a very similar curve to the door where they mount.  I choose a manual set for

easier install, and my only complaint is people whacking them in parking lots.

Not old school classic looks, but not hideous and very functional.

• 8 months later...

I will say that my Vtalonis are holding up well. While my inside rear view is blurry from vibration my sideviews are clear! They still seem to hold there position well and I've run into them walking around my garage several times.

I installed the MSA Flush Mount mirrors that mount to the window frame.  They work really well, and took less than an hour to install (although I do admit having difficulty forcing myself to drill into a perfectly good window frame).  I used them for a track day at Daytona last month and visibility was great.

I have these Holden Falcon mirrors that I bought from Rare Spares in Australia. They are a solid metal body and seem quite durable. I have not installed as I decided to go with another style instead. 

What these Ford GT mirror look like on a Z (and the car they came from).

post-727-0-57961600-1464538656_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-29843300-1464538666_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-76552100-1464539057_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240Zed

Yes, those are the ones I bought from Rare Spares awhile back. I have since sold them to another member as I was planning on using some repro Porsche 993 aero mirrors, but have been reevaluating the whole door mirror options lately. I am having a hard time trying to balance form and function. I love the original chrome style but no passenger side exists and using the drivers side on the pass side does not line up the field of vision well. The bullets look fantastic, but too many here have mentioned they offer little visibility and have a tendency to vibrate. I have considered the stock MK4 Toyota Supra mirrors that are larger since my car is flared. The company that makes the 993 aero mirrors also makes a door sill mounted Ruf version that looks interesting. I feel from a visual stand point door mirrors on these cars should not be too large and overpowering, but at the same time not solely based on looks and a small footprint at the sacrifice of functionality. I live in a highly condensed and populated area and commute amongst  a lot of traffic and want to have full visibility of the clowns I have to share the road with. Most likely will stick with the 993 aero mirrors unless they end up sticking out like Dumbo ears.

Here are some pics showing all the mirrors mentioned, (Bare metal Rare Spares, Green/black Supra, White 993 and red Ruf Porsche).

post-736-0-27564000-1464546059_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-46846900-1464546075_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-45922200-1464546276_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-49196900-1464546929_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-54285700-1464547093_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-83887500-1464547103_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-71369300-1464547113_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-33157500-1464547274_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-67758900-1464547282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

I noticed on the Pegasus Racing mirrors (single pole dual ball joint style) they all have set screws on the ball joints, which I would assume keep things tightened up. Anyone tried them yet? For the color scheme and overall look I am going for on my car, the carbon fiber shell single stalk mirrors would work well IMO. Hoping someone else has dished out 250 buxors and can give feed back first ;)