HybridZ
BLOZ UP

Side mirrors that don't suck

I will say that my Vtalonis are holding up well. While my inside rear view is blurry from vibration my sideviews are clear! They still seem to hold there position well and I've run into them walking around my garage several times.

I installed the MSA Flush Mount mirrors that mount to the window frame.  They work really well, and took less than an hour to install (although I do admit having difficulty forcing myself to drill into a perfectly good window frame).  I used them for a track day at Daytona last month and visibility was great.

I have these Holden Falcon mirrors that I bought from Rare Spares in Australia. They are a solid metal body and seem quite durable. I have not installed as I decided to go with another style instead. 

What these Ford GT mirror look like on a Z (and the car they came from).

post-727-0-57961600-1464538656_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-29843300-1464538666_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-76552100-1464539057_thumb.jpg

Edited by 240Zed

Yes, those are the ones I bought from Rare Spares awhile back. I have since sold them to another member as I was planning on using some repro Porsche 993 aero mirrors, but have been reevaluating the whole door mirror options lately. I am having a hard time trying to balance form and function. I love the original chrome style but no passenger side exists and using the drivers side on the pass side does not line up the field of vision well. The bullets look fantastic, but too many here have mentioned they offer little visibility and have a tendency to vibrate. I have considered the stock MK4 Toyota Supra mirrors that are larger since my car is flared. The company that makes the 993 aero mirrors also makes a door sill mounted Ruf version that looks interesting. I feel from a visual stand point door mirrors on these cars should not be too large and overpowering, but at the same time not solely based on looks and a small footprint at the sacrifice of functionality. I live in a highly condensed and populated area and commute amongst  a lot of traffic and want to have full visibility of the clowns I have to share the road with. Most likely will stick with the 993 aero mirrors unless they end up sticking out like Dumbo ears.

Here are some pics showing all the mirrors mentioned, (Bare metal Rare Spares, Green/black Supra, White 993 and red Ruf Porsche).

post-736-0-27564000-1464546059_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-46846900-1464546075_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-45922200-1464546276_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-49196900-1464546929_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-54285700-1464547093_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-83887500-1464547103_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-71369300-1464547113_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-33157500-1464547274_thumb.jpg

post-736-0-67758900-1464547282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nelsonian

I noticed on the Pegasus Racing mirrors (single pole dual ball joint style) they all have set screws on the ball joints, which I would assume keep things tightened up. Anyone tried them yet? For the color scheme and overall look I am going for on my car, the carbon fiber shell single stalk mirrors would work well IMO. Hoping someone else has dished out 250 buxors and can give feed back first ;)

I am looking for a chrome vintage style mirror to replace the stock one on my 260Z that can be bolted on from the outside.  That's how I stumbled onto this thread.  

My .02 cents....Over 30 years ago I installed a pair of Vitaloni Baby Turbos on my '77.  As far as I know, they are still on that Z.  I was completely satisfied....great visibilty (no vibration), blue anti-glare tint, never lost their setting (never moved).  I don't know if Vitaloni makes them any more....that's why the NOS ones go for so much money.  

I would buy a pair now but I am trying to maintain the vintage look on my 260Z.

For what its worth, motorcycle mirrors put up with a lot more wind resistance, vibration and bumps. I did a google search for magical racing mirrors on cars and S2000 guys really took a liking to them. You can also see some mounted on race cars. I'm pretty confident they'll do the job well. Its just a steep price for entry.

I bought a set of Lockhart Phillips Race Lite a while back which look very much like the Type-1 Magical Racing mirrors but are less than half the price.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LP-USA-SPORTBIKE-CARBON-FIBER-RACE-LITE-MIRRORS-55MM-WITH-CHROME-STEM-BASE.html

I bought a set of Lockhart Phillips Race Lite a while back which look very much like the Type-1 Magical Racing mirrors but are less than half the price.

http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/LP-USA-SPORTBIKE-CARBON-FIBER-RACE-LITE-MIRRORS-55MM-WITH-CHROME-STEM-BASE.html

Thanks for the heads up on the cf mirrors.  I just ordered a set for $119 shipped ....  :2thumbs:

I haven't driven the car with them on but they seem to be solid with the M6 rivnuts I used!

Hm, I might get those instead them. Looks like balljoint though at the base of the mirror? That's what I have now and it's terrible.

I don't want to drill into the window trim to install the MSA mirrors that are sitting in my garage, these would only require one more hole where there already is one for my current mirrors...

It is a ball joint but I'm just planning to set them in one position then lock it it place with JB Weld or silicone and thread lock the screws as I'm the only driver!

They are bike mirrors so they should stand up to some punishment!

Edited by Mark N

I picked up a set of those mirrors after seeing the post earlier in the week. They're pretty decent quality, far better than the rotting plastic MSA mirrors I've had for years. All the hardware is metal and the chrome seems nice enough. I could care less about the carbon fiber, but the finish and weave is good. I haven't mounted them yet, but the ball joint feels very solid. The mirror glass is more brown than silver, but it doesn't warp much.

My only complaint is that the edge where it was cut out of the mold was left unfinished.

Just installed these Talbot Yorck mirrors on my Z

How did you get on with these? seems that they might have an inexpedient angle to them...can you see much more than the A pillar in them? 

...but they look great!