74 replies to this topic

#21 BLOZ UP

BLOZ UP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • LocationCentral Jersey

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:26 AM

Interesting. I ordered the flush mounts from MSA. I don't like the idea of drilling into things, but I can compromise if they are as sturdy as they seem. I suppose crashing into things is worse that a couple more holes in my doors.

BLOZ UP.com
It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

#22 BLOZ UP

BLOZ UP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • LocationCentral Jersey

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:36 AM

For the flush mounts... how does the adjustment knob thing fit? It looks like it extends into the window....

BLOZ UP.com
It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

#23 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:43 AM

For the flush mounts... how does the adjustment knob thing fit? It looks like it extends into the window....

There is no adjustment knob. You move the mirror directly by hand.

Nigel
"May the Forced Induction be with you"

http://www.motortopia.com/nigel/cars

www.ontariozcar.com

#24 BLOZ UP

BLOZ UP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • LocationCentral Jersey

Posted 28 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

Hm, I hope I have the right ones. What's this metal rod for? There's also a plastic cover for it.

20150328_095935_zpsiv8t9wqe.jpg

BLOZ UP.com

#25 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 28 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

OK, well that's weird. I can't see how that could possibly work. Is the rod removable?

Nigel

"May the Forced Induction be with you"

http://www.motortopia.com/nigel/cars

www.ontariozcar.com

#26 BLOZ UP

BLOZ UP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1367 posts
  • LocationCentral Jersey

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

Well, I can remove it alright. The mounting plates I have don't even have a hole/slot for it to fit through. Guess I should contact MSA to see what's what.

BLOZ UP.com

#27 calpoly-z

calpoly-z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:51 PM

I just bought a set of these off someone on the forum. My set just has the rod snapped off flush with the Mirror housing.
'77 280z w/ L28ET .75mm over, MSnSe1v3 , 3.7 LSD, 440cc Supra injectors, GT3071, intercooled, Eibach springs, 240sx trans, Vintage Air , etc.

Currently: Finally running/driving after 4 yrs down. Tuning and buttoning up all the random loose ends left over from a long term project.

#28 74Adam

74Adam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:32 AM

I saw an S30 once that had the OEM 280ZX mirrors on. They had them painted to match the body and I thought it looked really nice. Just an idea as I would expect them to be a bit more sturdy and not vibrate as much.

#29 jimbob_racing

jimbob_racing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationBeaver Falls PA

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:14 AM

Has anyone tried Porsche 944 mirrors?  They look like they could work well.

Jim

'75 280Z

#30 260DET

260DET

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • LocationWarwick, Q, Australia

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:18 PM

280ZX mirrors, they manually adjust as is.

#31 Six_Shooter

Six_Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1466 posts
  • LocationNear: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:29 PM

I had the Flush mount Mirrors (Nigel's old set to be exact) and a couple years ago switched to the ZZAP style mirror, which yours may be BLOZ UP, since they are styled the same way as the MSA ones you linked to. I have not had any issues with the mirrors being loose or moving around.

I did notice the flush mount mirrors had more viewing area, but don't mind the smaller ZZAP style mirrors, since I think they look better on the car and still have enough viewing area for my driving style. I do shoulder checks if I'm going to move over a lane anyway.

I have a set of APR GT3 style universal mirrors stashed away that I might install on my car this year, but the carbon fibre look has kept me from putting them on. I also have them stashed to use on my bike, if I ever get that project running and my licence... 

Z: 152391 Project Thread
Typhony: Project Thread

My rear view mirror doesn't have a zoom feature.

#32 wickiewicked240z

wickiewicked240z

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino,CA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:46 AM

Just installed these Talbot Yorck mirrors on my Z

Attached Files

#33 Zetsaz

Zetsaz

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationLogan, Utah and Seattle Area

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

Anyone know where I might be able to find something like these? I've yet to find any sort of build thread on this guy's car, but I like the more modern look they have. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a video of the same car if that helps.

Edited by Zetsaz, 06 April 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#34 Nelsonian

Nelsonian

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:29 PM

They look like Craft Square mirrors.

Nelsonian, San Diego, CA.

#35 AkRev

AkRev

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

Here you go Zetasz.

http://www.ebay.com/...154559e&vxp=mtr

#36 helghast7

helghast7

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Locationnew jersey

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:03 PM

I've had my californians for 2 seasons now and i'm happy with them. they vibrate a tad but nothing horrible, I'm just happy they stay put.  I pushed them further up the door for better angles like mentioned earlier, definitely helps. 

#37 Zetsaz

Zetsaz

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationLogan, Utah and Seattle Area

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

Didn't think I'd get an answer so fast, thanks a lot!

#38 thedarkie

thedarkie

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:33 PM

I'm gonna leave this link here in case anyone is brave enough to try some very high quality motorcycle mirrors on their Z. I had a set way back when on a bike and they were bloody awesome. I'm tempted.....

http://www.moto-work...rr-mirrors.html

Edited by thedarkie, 23 April 2015 - 05:33 PM.

#39 JohnH

JohnH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:34 PM

This is a real pet peave of mine. I'm still in the process of looking for decent door mirrors, I had the MSA racing style mirrors & they were just plain crap. They were loose, cheaply made & one retaining mechanism on a plastic base failed. I next bought the Vitaloni California mirrors from MSA (currently on the car). They are also crap. Poor visibilty & I cannot get the retaining screw tight enough on the arm for them to stay put so they end up sagging at speed. Contemplating JB welding them in place. I was also looking into the Pegasus GT mirrors & ebay open wheel racing style ones (similar to one posted in this thread) but that arm/mirror style appears to be flimsy based on a screw set & ball socket joint & sometimes 2 pivot sockets a mirror. Although those high quality motorcycle mirrors thedarkie posted look interesting I think what is needed is a solid body mirror enclosure where the mirror lense itself is the only part that moves. I remember really liking the door mirrors on the 280ZX I had. I have one spare right side that I'm going to test fit next. I also heard the first gen RX7 has decent door mirrors for an S30.

#40 str8pipez

str8pipez

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  • LocationEdwardsville, IL

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

Anyone know where I might be able to find something like these? I've yet to find any sort of build thread on this guy's car, but I like the more modern look they have. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Here's a video of the same car if that helps.

Pegasus Racing sells those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users