HybridZ

Difference Between L28E Auto and manual Crankshafts??

KidandhisCar

]Hi gents,first time poster long time lurker.

Long story short two weeks back I had the engine in my 82 280zx sling a rod, (stock l28E AFAIK).

Found a local guy with a L28E pulled to be replaced with a V8, engine is in good running condition.

so I bought it.

Now here is my problem.. My car is a 5 speed, and the replacement engine came out of an auto,

When attempting to mount to the flywheel from my engine onto the replacement engine i noticed

that the fly wheel sticks out about 1/4 farther from the rear engine plate,then it did on my engine.

I also noticed that the tail end of the crankshafts are different.

the one on my original engine has a shoulder that the flywheel sits on.

The one on the replacement engine does not.

I can still bolt the flywheel to the end of the replacement engine is just sits about 1/4inch farther

from the rear engine plate,than it did on my engine.

Both are F54 Blocks,and P79 Heads, All stock.

Please Advise.

post-48934-0-15090500-1426730928_thumb.jpg                 Old Engine Crank

post-48934-0-73411600-1426730934_thumb.jpg            Old Engine w/flywheel mounted

post-48934-0-31892600-1426730940_thumb.jpg                Replacement Engine Crank

post-48934-0-21254000-1426730948_thumb.jpg            Replacement Engine W/Flywheel Mounted

Edited by KidandhisCar

You need to lurk harder.

I've never had one but have read often about the spacer on the end of the crankshaft used for the automatic transmission flex plate.  Pretty sure I can see the separation line in your pictures.  Pry or pull it off and you should be where you need to be.

• 7 months later...