HybridZ

Ignition switch not working 77 280z

Hello guys I have a 77 280z and when I went to start it today I got nothing. I have a new battery, new distributor, new alternator and a year old voltage regulator. I have lights in my dash and dome light. Head lights are nice and bright. When I turn the key I get nothing. I usually have a beep when I turn the key. I went and replaced the back part of the ignition today and still nothing with the new one. I will take the whole assembly to locksmith and see if it's the cylinder or what.
Can anyone shed some light on what else to check?

Edited by scruz32

When you turn the key to what position?  The beep is Run or On, right?  And when you say "nothing" do you mean stuff that was there, lights, disappear?  Or they stay on but nothing happens?  Big difference and it matters.  Are you saying that you don't even get the beep now?

The locksmith won't help the electrical switch.  You can connect that up and turn it with a screwdriver.  That's all the key part does.  Turn the electrical switch (the back part) with a screwdriver and describe what happens.

That's right no more beep. I did put in the new ignition portion and tried to turn it with a screw driver. Nothing happened. I put it together and tried with the key and nothing happens. There was no light just a beep once the key turned before my issue. Car has been running great for three years. I had the new distributor and coil put in 3 months ago and ran awesome. Can there be a ignition relay problem?

Edited by scruz32

Forget about the locksmith then. 

You're still not being very descriptive, you didn't answer the important questions.  So I'll just give a suggestion - it's not uncommon for dirty battery terminal connections to allow the lights and everything else to work but not the starter.  The starter draws a lot of current and the heat will open a dirty connection.

Sorry for the unclarity.yes the beep was on run or first key turn. The only light that disappeared was the brake light on the speedometer. It's on when the hand brake is up. Now the hand brake is on but I have no brake light sign.

Here is Run down of all the new itms replaced in the last 3-5 months. All are new . Interstate battery, new battery cables (0 gauge ) new posts connectors, new Mallory distributor, Mallory ignition coil, coil filter (for surge protect), new fuse links ( under hood)

I have check all the fuses and they are all good . I appreciate your help NewZed.

Edited by scruz32

You say you have a new battery but have you checked the voltage on it?  You might have a parasitic drain somewhere and there's only enough juice in the battery to power up the dash lights.

If I remember correctly there is a fusible link involved in the start circuit. If you still have them check them all for continuity.

Thanks phantom. See the picture I took. It was the the fuse in the links. I have an after market fuse kit. The fuse looked good but it actually came detached. When sitting in the connector it looked good. Testing showed no power being transferred. Some how it separated . I have almost gone nuts testing all the wires. Well you live and learn. Thank you guys for your replies! Car is back running ! To enjoy my fairlady!

post-41703-0-13537500-1427080853_thumb.jpg