HybridZ

83 ZXT Alternator in 73 240z Wiring

I have been doing some searching but I haven't been able to find a straight answer on the wiring up of a ZX alternator into a 240z. From my understanding I will need to splice 2 wires, but I am unsure which ones. One writeup I saw even mentioned adding a diode.

Have any of you wired a ZX alternator into a 240z? Any idea on which wires I should be splicing? I have eliminated the external voltage regulator.

Thanks in advance.

I actually just found something that looks promising:

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Unplug the external regulator and note the color code of the wires that are on the regulator connector of the engine wiring harness. You will be connecting some of these wires together, so get another plug from a junked regulator or cut the one off your old regulator. Now the wire colors I will be referring to are on the regulator connector of the engine wiring harness. This is because although the regulator wire colors match the engine harness with the stock regulator, I've noticed that some aftermarket regulators have a different wire color code.

3. Connect the white wire to the yellow wire. This connects the battery to the "S" input.

4. Connect the black with a white stripe wire to the white with black stripe wire. This connects the "L" terminal to a switched 12V.

5. Disconnect and unbolt your old alternator. Bolt up the new alternator. Depending on what particular internally regulated alternator you use (I've seen different pulley sizes), you might need a different length belt.

6. At the alternator, connect the white with red stripe wire of the engine wiring harness to the threaded stud (the "A" terminal) on the alternator. This connection provides the charging current for the battery. Connect the black ground wire to the alternator. Don't forget to include any bypass, or filter capacitor. Plug the two-pin "T" connector into the alternator.