HybridZ

E brake stopper missing.

Im in the middle of doing my rear brakes and I noticed both of the ebrake stoppers are missing. The part in the pic where the screwdriver is. (not my car)

13_zpswo0au7hh.jpg

How important are these stoppers and can I get away without using them?  My brakes before the brake job worked fine except for the ebrake which would barely engage. I figure I have to adjust the mechanism inside the drum. Thanks

Why are you calling it a "stopper", whatever it is?  Hard to tell what you mean.  Can you find the part on the attached picture?  I picked 1976 because that's the car I have.  Although my rear brakes are 78.  They're different.  What are you working with?

post-8864-0-09587400-1427832606_thumb.png

Seems like it could affect operation.  It positions the lever at rest, and doesn't allow the adjust to travel too far.  You could probably fabricate one pretty easily.

And it's just a hand brake, mostly for parking.  Or limping home.  Have you ever tried to stop the car with it, at any speed at all?  Just a distraction in an emergency.

post-8864-0-60978900-1427832980_thumb.png

http://www.hammondsplains.com/newtechtips/brakes/77drum/

Scroll down about 10 pics or so. They call it a a stopper in this write up.

Thanks

Two wrongs?  Notice the parentheses in your link.

Anyway, most parts on critical components, like brakes, are there for good reason.  I'd put it back to the way they designed it.

Without that piece (which I would call a "rest" or "stand-off" or similar, just saying.  I think of "stoppers" as things a the end of motion, not the beginning.  Not that it really matters.), the adjustment arm will be in the wrong position to turn the wheel.  Wasted movement with no adjustment happening.  It's important.

post-8864-0-56809300-1427838699_thumb.png