HybridZ

300zx Turbo 0-60 ~5.0 sec Advice

aprophet13

TLDR: Z31 turbo, want a 0-60 time of around 5 seconds and want to modify to whatever hp this requires. ~$2,000 to spend. Advice?

I am looking at a 1985 300zx turbo and have a few questions...

I intend on dailying the car mostly but have a '73 240z to cruise in when this is out of commission (swapped in a different L24 with a friend so I have experience wrenching on cars, just not efi) 

My funds would be split between this and the 240z so realistically my budget is around $2,000 not including the car

I don't like setting a whp goal since its kind of arbitrary due to weight/diff ratio/dyno/etc differences

I am looking for a 0-60 around 5.0 seconds (e46 m3, 07 STI, 350z, etc range)

1) Is this realistic? Given my experience level (want to do all work myself), budget, and drivetrain 

2) If so around how much whp is a good goal? I'm thinking in the 250-300whp range?

3) If that estimate is realistic then are these modifications sufficient?

My plans are as follows:

Basic maintenance(t-belt, plugs, wires, etc)

Stock bottom/top end

Stock Fuel system

Stock ECU

Either maxing out T3 turbo or installing an HY35 I have

MBC set to 13-18psi (what ever will net my hp goals)

Ebay intercooler/piping

stock intake 

K&N intake filter w/ resonator removed

3" turbo back exhaust w/ hiflow cat

CA 91 Octane fuel (would love to run E85 but stock fuel system will be strained already without 30% more demand for fuel)

possibly MLS hg/ARP studs just for insurance? 

I think I've been reading too much and have gotten a little over saturated. Some people say you NEED this or that, and I've seen too many conflicting opinions.

I've looked at TONS of dyno sheets and stuff on Z31.com/Z31performance's dyno section, but most of those guys are way over my output goals.

Sorry if I sound like just another kid asking what the minimum I can do for X amount of HP is, but I've read so many posts of people saying they made 300whp on stock ECU/long block/fuel system and am just wondering what is necessary/a good idea to upgrade to have a pretty reliable setup for my goals.

Thanks in advance!!

Adrian