HybridZ

240z tach issues with 280zx distributor

Hello all,

Thanks to grannyknot sending me a 280zx distributor mount, I wired up the new refurbed 280zx distributor (E12-80 box).  I also purchased a .7ohm MSD Blaster 2 coil (I realize the safe range is ~0.8-1.1ohms).

After hooking it all up, the car fired right up.  Once I set the timing properly she was running like a champion.   

The only issue i've come across is the tachometer literally stops at 4.5-5k RPM.  It bounces around as the revs keep climbing.  

Tomorrow i'm going to check all the grounds, and make sure all my connections are clean.  Anyone have any more advice on this issue?   From my readings, I don't think I should have any issues with the 240z tach.  But I really have no idea how it works.

Edited by HuD 91gt

Usually when swapping away from a points ignition, you also need to swap the tach. The 240Z uses a current triggered tach, where as the 260Z+ uses a points triggered tach.

You can swap just the circuit board from a 280Z tach into your 240Z tach to retain the original look.

Other causes of the problem you describe can be too low of a dwell time at higher RPM, which is common with newer electronic ignitions.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to keep an eye out for a later model tach.  

Just after I posted this, I pulled up this website ( http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/ ).  

In the paragraph specific to the 280zx swap, It specifically says not to wire the coil directly to the E12-80.  Am I in serious danger of damaging the box?  I thought this was my only option as no one makes a coil in the range specified by the manufacturer. 

Re-read the relevant section it does not state not to connect the coil directly to the coil, well it does, but only under a certain condition, which you have not stated that you have, and I don't know why anyone would want to make that connection with the type of product in question, especially if the instructions for that type of product were followed.