HybridZ

Brake help. Self adjuster frozen? Repairable?

I have a 78 280z and due to a spongy pedal (bled the brakes already), I tried to adjust the rear drums (driver side) by the star wheel and it doesn't seem to turn. Hand brake also almost goes vertical when engaged. I already ordered new shoes, cylinders, and hardware kit for both sides and planning on re doing the rear drum brakes. 

Could the adjuster be seized? Is there a way to repair it so it moves freely again? I found and bought a new driver side adjuster but I am worried the passenger side might have the same issue. Any ideas since I cant seem to find adjusters for a 78 280z? any other advice would help as well. Thanks

There's really not much to them.  The threads have to be free to move.  You can take it apart, clean up the threads and lubricate them.  And the little arm has to grab the teeth of the wheel/cog when you pull the hand brake..  Sometimes the teeth get clogged with brake dust.  Take the adjuster off, and see how well it moves.  If it needs cleaning, clean it.  Did you try to adjust through the backing plate hole, or with the drum off?  Easier to check everything out with the drum off.  They probably just need a little maintenance.

You said that you bought an adjuster, but can't find any?  Which is it?  

Yes I did it with the drum off. behind the plate was too tough to do with just a flat head screwdriver. Yes I bought one brand new off ebay for 70$ but only for the driver side. Im guessing the passenger side has one too right? Nissan doesn't seem to make the adjusters anymore for a 78 280z.

Ok so you suggest just taking it all apart and cleaning up the adjuster right? PB blaster would help? Completely unscrew it will be possible I hope lol. It did not budge at all when I was turning it from the front when the drum was off.

Edited by vbgambini

Yes, take it completely off, unscrew it in to its two or three pieces, clean it, lube it up, make sure things move smoothly.  It's a simple mechanism, but it has some fine details that have to be right.  You might need to wire brush the grooves of the cog, and maybe the threads, both internal and external.  If the edge of the action arm is dull, maybe take a file to it and put an edge back on it, on the correct face.  It has to grab and move the cog teeth, then slide back over the top of it, to get ready for the next tooth.  Before you take it off, watch how it's supposed to work and you'll see what you need to do.

Of course, it's also possible that the teeth are just worn after so many hand brake pulls.  Not sure if you can flip that cog over or not to get to new metal.  Haven't had my brakes apart in a while.

Edited by NewZed

Thanks! I will try that all out once I get all the parts in. Really thought I was in trouble since I cant find that part to be replaced new. That wheel would not turn at all. Any specific lube? Is it possible that it will be tough to unscrew when it is completely off? Or that's when the PB Blaster comes into play?

Just realized that there's an arm that moves the cog and another that holds it so it doesn't backup.  Any of those parts could be jammed.

Whatever works to get it free.  Heat would make a difference and everything's metal so can't hurt.  On lube, just a touch of high temperature stuff, like brake caliper lube, would work.  You don't want it to drip on the drum.