HybridZ

How to actually buy a car from an american seller

Villeman

Hi,

i may be a bit annoyed right now, but....how do you actually get somebody on CG to sell you a car? Already got advice from TonyD, but so far:

-nobody replies to mails , ok thats understandable

-nearly nobody pics up the phone (with adds being online weeks after) , as told, i could get an american skype number but if they don´t want to sell for export why trick them.

-if i get some response at all, people never send just the tinyest bit of information (except one nice guy from yakima)

-recently a seller made promises and all, i got shipping quotes, money ready, called back 2 days later (as communicated) and voila, nothing, doesn´t answer phone\mail\etc. but add is still online

is a "sorry,sold" message really to much to ask after i got a shipping company involved ????? Honestly, now i get why ebay cars are so much more expensive, at least then you get a chance of buying one... btw, been looking since fall, contacted (or tried to) nearly every 280z 2+2 which makes sense for exporting here to germany (due to shipping costs and financial limit i need good, not fancy). So,this was just to blow off some steam, back to craigslist.....

Given the large volume of email and phone scams we are subject to it takes perseverance for someone outside the US. Generally a trip over here helps significantly. And many US sellers don't want to sell overseas. The perceived hassle factor is high.

Conversely, I've had many UK companies refuse to sell to me in the US. I called on friends in the UK to purchase locally and forward to me.

I call them "craigslist people" for a reason. 

But seriously John's right, the minute I see anything that appears overseas or foreign I don't even bother to reply. Maybe of the 100 or so emails i've gotten over the years one is genuine; but most of the time they are not. Scams are so frequent it's easy to just ignore them.

Frank gets on the plane in a few hours flying from Amsterdam to LA.

I will board my plane in Manila in 9 hours.

We will arrive at 20:00 LAX Time Saturday.

At 04:30 on 19 April, we will be in line to enter the Pomona Swap Meet, looking for parts and to scope out cars.

By Monday we will have bought a 2005-2009 Mustang Convertible for Export to NL. CFR Rinkens has already booked a slot for drop off on 27 April at their facility (drive it a week, shake it down, add all,accessories so,you don't get hit with taxation of your local Reich....

There is a list of prospects we will visit in LA.

I would HIGHLY suggest you get a "Magic Jack Plus" or like device that gives you a U.S. Phone Number (VOIP) -- call from it, have all calls directed to it. Never let on you are overseas, and use CFR Rinkens local agent make contact and pick up the car for you, prepare the shipping documents, and etc.

Or, as John Says: come on Holiday. When Jochen came, he spent a good week driving his 240Z and came back the next year to,buy several more to recover his costs on the first trip! Haven't heard if he's coming this year or not.

April's MSA Meeting was always a good time to pick something, the variety of available for sale vehicles beats any other Z-Meet anywhere in the Continental USA.

TOnyD is right (do i need to add the "of course :)  ). Thing is, since i want a 2+2 with manual if possible, when and where to fly. One with original paint pops up rather seldomly. Anyways, this will be the route as soon as i find time to do so, till then it´s harassing people by phone......

When you get over here to buy your car, you need to spit (expectorate) a lot and say "dang!" a lot. A case of beer goes a long way. A frequent "Roll Tide!!" and you've all but closed the deal. Outside a very small market, the Z is a rusty, neglected marque owned by nare-do-wells, drunks and guys on unemployment. If I see a Z coming down the street, I pretty much assume the driver is an alcoholic and I get out of the way. If an American (USA) owns a Z, outside this hybridZ community, 9 times out of 10 they are a low-life. Combine that with Craigslist and you are dealing with a segment of the population that we all would be better without. On April 15th I sent them all a check, so they should all be in a good mood, half way through some wicked reefer (always glad to help out). EVERY CL experience I have had was a scam. I have a 76 MT 2+2 that I will GIVE you. It is so rusty that there is NO PLACE where you can put a jack much less your elbow; I snitched the 3.36 R200 and you can have the rest. To get it, I made countless phone calls and took my trailer 2 hours each way 4 times over the course of a year. Crazy lady listed it on eBay, and got all excited when she got calls from Australia and "Newww York City", so she kept turning away a real person with money and a trailer. What's left of it is all original, half disassembled but of course it's a re-paint so you probably don't want it. I could probably send all the useable parts to you in a stamped envelope. Good luck. I paid $300.

Edited by RebekahsZ

A lot of the skepticism of Americans and selling over seas really falls back to how many spam emails and calls we get from companies in foreign countries trying to get us to send money. If I might add that Arizona in the United States and similar dry states like Texas and Nevada seem to house a plethora of great condition classics. Even if you just have to go poke around a junk yard near Las Vegas you will probably find something that catches your eyes. A lot of us here are very wary of the exporting process simply because we rely on finding and buying stuff locally or at least from the US. I will say that adding an occasional, "Did you hear what that sumbitch Obama is doing this week?" or "How bout them dawgs" (For the South) might go a long way. America is overflowing with cranky old men that think anything they have is a gold mine and will usually refuse to sell it unless you offer 300x more than what its worth. Best of luck in finding what you want though.

My buddy in Liverpool bought a set of Boyd's Billet Rims...guy would not sell or ship to anybody outside the state of Alabama...

Had a work colleague "buy" them, then load them in his truck and drive to some training in NC, where I met him and loaded them in my rental car...posted one from Charlotte, one from Mayfield Ky, one from Birmingham, and one from some city in Ohio as I recall...

There are people who are paranoid, how much paranoia depends on many things! Many make no sense at all...

US businesses on the whole are pretty good about selling overseas but for a private seller anywhere exporting a car is just not worth the trouble and expense, unless it's a POS that otherwise can't be sold locally. Like the natives have said, go to the US yourself or else try to get a US based agent.

I have sold cars to people overseas... I have sold large items to people over seas... The first thing you need to do is belly up to the keyboard with a TON of patience and be prepared to sell them on the fact that A:  You are not a scammer, and B:  You are a serious buyer with serious funds.  Be persistent and also assure the prospective seller along the way that you are willing to jump through the various hoops in order to make the transaction and close the sale. 

I already expect to sell Sasha Grey to someone abroad when she is running and shook down.  If you know how to navigate the waters, it shouldn't be painful once all parties come to the sense that a deal is legitimate and realistic.

All that said, I have a $1950 check sitting on my counter right now from a CRAIGSLIST buyer who wanted to buy my pistons for $450... And he questioned why I would be interested in talking with the postal investigator about the fraud he conducted... Unfortunately, people like this guy are the reason people like you are going to have an uphill battle.

Mike

well, at least i´m not imagining stuff....;) last low was one i bought (clearly stated i would buy it, got shipping involved and called back next day for needed information) and the guy went silent for a week while selling locally despite being ok with exporting in the first place. Thing is, i have a shipping company standing by doing everything from pickup to unloading in germany. Stupid system with the checks though, no wonder nobody uses the over here ....ever.

Patience, yes, i anyways enjoy the hunt more than having it sit in my driveway probably due to the first part breaking being a financial nightmare over here. Thanks guys, appreciated

Ok. I have bought cars on the west coast and had them shipped to the east. Once I wired i guy in japan 5500 for a car in cal. Trust is a big issue . I also sold a z car to a guy in Greece. Kinda of pain in the ass took about a month or two and I certainly could have it sold locally much quicker with cash in hand. But I felt like I had been in his same shoes calling people in the west coast trying to get a rust free car sent here while fending off the locals there. So with that said I am hoping to have a clear title in a few weeks on an early 71 240z very solid with only 1-2 places that are bubbling. I figure I should be worth 5-6 k maybe a little more on ebay. But if I have to go through trouble shipping over seas it will have to be taxed . That is a lot of emails, photos, videos, and paper work to deal with. 

Funny story it was a Tenn title when it got to Greece the port authority would not release the car. 2 numbers on the title did not match the vin, many more phone calls and emails and a new title was issued. Everyones happy but it added  a lot of work to an would be easy sale . 

hmm, maybe i got my shipping company wrong, but they said they will do  the whole shipping, tax and packing. They asked me for a certificate of ownership (e.g buying contract) and a title copy, with the original title travelling with the car. Like i said, i offer those guys that there will be a shipping company picking the car up and that all money will be paid at that point. Anyways, some nice person from Reno offered one, professional seller though, i will send you guys pictures.

btw, has anybody recently done this? nissan+fairlady-z+2%252B2+gnose.jpg

Edited by Villeman

post-380-0-06704900-1430063559_thumb.jpg

1976 280Z 2+2, F/GPRO Land Speed Record Holder 172.325mph at Bonneville as certified by SCTA & FIA...

So "yes"!

Eric L also did the same on his black 2/2 Fairlady Z.

Up front it's all the same.

Edited by Tony D

Someone talked to Hiro at Datsun Freeway out of Yokohama yesterday at the MSA Z-Bash and got quotes for the parts, FYI the numbers were:

Nissan OEM G-Nose - all original $10,000

Aftermarket 2-Piece $800

Aftermarket Multi-Piece $3,000