HybridZ

Please share your BC coilover feedback. -ride quality, comfort, impressions

I'm starting this thread to see if I can muster up some feedback on the BC coilovers that recently came to market. The thread for their creation doesn't really have any installed reviews.

Could those who have installed the coilovers please share what rates you went with how the ride is so far?

Thanks

I went with the four bolt kit. I can't remember what spring rate, I just went with what JPN Garage recommend. I don't daily or race my 280, and it is relatively stock performance wise. I ordered the kit a few months ago and received it about a week later. I installed it shortly after, but haven't put many miles on them yet.

I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the kit. Everything came pre-assembled and packaged nicely.  Installation was relatively easy compared to strut sectioning type kits. Most of the work was in removing the old struts. The struts on my car had the original cartridges in them, so I assume they had never been serviced. I made a cardboard template to help with the drilling of the extra hole in the strut tower. Took me about two days to disassemble the old struts, prep and install the coilover kit.

Things I like about them so far:

- Ride height adjustability without having to adjust spring height. For the most part, I can adjust the ride height with out taking off the wheels. These can go pretty low.

- Dampening adjuster are on top with easy to turn knobs. Adjustments are noticeable, and take me less than two minutes to make.

- Camber adjustment without welding the strut tops. I use -3 in the front and -1 in the rears. Still have more room for adjustment.

- Improved handling! My ride is so much better. Transformed the car, so much more fun to drive. Granted, I had been riding on blown shocks and tired springs prior to the coilover kit, so i think anything fresh would have been a massive improvment.

For how I use my car, summer weekend cruising, I don't really have any any negatives. I guess they could have better instructions, mine were poorly translated engrish. They also could have provided a template for drilling the two holes in the strut towers. But that is really just nit-picking.

Overall, I am really happy with this setup and think this was the best choice for me. I'll have to put more miles on them and see if any faults develop, but I would definitely recommend this to someone who uses there car in the same way I do.  Let me know if you have any questions.

My car is about 5-4in of ground clearance from the frame rails, about 6 from the from the air dam. It could go much lower but i  want to have some ground clearance for Michigan roads. I haven't tracked cars or motorcycles in a while so i can't give you a good answer about how it would function is that capacity. There is only one dampening control, that appears to set both compression and rebound. I would think you would want to control them separately for an serious track endeavors.

Like i stated before, I don't drive very hard on the street so i probably won't ever hit a bump stop. I do believe BC racing makes more track orientated coilover setup that might fit into the threaded sleeves on the kit featured by JPN Garage. I would inquire with JPN Garage about upgrading the kit. 

• 4 weeks later...

Love the video. Camera mounted on roof? Remote microphone? How did you get such good exhaust note to pick up with all the wind? I love MSR!

Thanks, there is more video...just havent uploaded yet.  I use my iPhone 5 with this this phone mount http://www.amazon.com/iStabilizer-ISTMG01-Glass-Windshield-Mount/dp/B00895AUBC/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1432822002&sr=1-1&keywords=iStabilizer+ISTMG01

I had just put the new coil overs on, so I wasn't going to go 100 percent.   Otherwise, I would have used my Go Pro and had my iPhone hooked up to my PLX Kiwi2 with trackaddict app to overlap my obd2 data..

Edited by dreco

Thanks dreco

So it's 70% stiff and kinda harsh on the street? Does it get more comfortable on lesser settings?

Sweet car BTW

if I find time tomorrow I'll soften them up and go for a drive (day off).  Be aware that I drive on Dallas streets and they are HORRIBLE. 

• 9 months later...

Any advices to me regarding standard versus extreme low kit? I see that the standard is listed for 1-3 inch lowering, and

the extreme low for 3-5" lowering.

Is this "correct"?? From this info I would be happy with standard, as I expect approx 3 inch lowering, but I see

feedback that the standard kit is not low enough for some street cars.

And my understanding is that the extreme low kit will as minimum lower the car 3".I would probably prefer to be in

the 2-4" range , so appreciate advices about these heights, and wether they seem correct when installed on car.

im thinking about pulling the trigger on these too, any pics? I'm in the same boat as zviking, likely going with 17's on my car, sounds like the standard kit should be low enough to get rid of the wheel gap and give it a good stance. For my purposes the extreme low might cause clearance issues.

I've got three bolt top extreme low kits 4k front 5k rear, I've got them about 12 clicks from full hard and it's fantastic on the the street. Compliant enough to not lock under braking over small bumps, no skittering, and keeps my frame rails and exhaust from dragging. Love them so far, super easy install as well. 

I've got just the fronts installed.

I have the 3 bolt extreme low kit, earlier 240z. I don't think they are quite as extreme as one may think. I have them at about .5 to 1 inch drop with about 1/2 or a 1/3 of the adjustment used. What little driving I have done with them, they are nice. Decently stiff with reasonable rebound control. Will have more hopefully this weekend.

doesnt seem like JPN_garage has logged onto these forums for awhile, where did everyone purchase their kits?

I'll be going with a v8 swap soon, any suggestions on spring rates? For me, comfort is most important. The car will se some track days but for the most part it'll be street driven. I'll likely get the coilovers in before the swap, so drive impressions to come soon when i purchase.

OP: did you end up buying these springs?

Edited by boostfed

doesnt seem like JPN_garage has logged onto these forums for awhile, where did everyone purchase their kits?

I'll be going with a v8 swap soon, any suggestions on spring rates? For me, comfort is most important. The car will se some track days but for the most part it'll be street driven. I'll likely get the coilovers in before the swap, so drive impressions to come soon when i purchase.

OP: did you end up buying these springs?

If JPN doesn't answer you can contact BC directly. Before I bought mine I called BC to ask about getting longer studs so I can mount my strut bar.

I've got just the fronts installed.

I have the 3 bolt extreme low kit, earlier 240z. I don't think they are quite as extreme as one may think. I have them at about .5 to 1 inch drop with about 1/2 or a 1/3 of the adjustment used. What little driving I have done with them, they are nice. Decently stiff with reasonable rebound control. Will have more hopefully this weekend.

Do you find that the three bolt tops give you enough adjustability? I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the extreme low kit with the three bolt tops as well. Thanks!