HybridZ

What's it worth.

Wools240

Hoping to get some help. I'm thinking about selling my project low number Z. I don't know what it's worth. The body is rust free. Paint hasn't even been buffed out. Interior isn't perfect no door panels. Rust free floors. I've looked to see what other projects are selling for but haven't seen any with rust free body. Any help would be awesome. post-46593-0-72321400-1429479359_thumb.jpgpost-46593-0-51325600-1429479383_thumb.jpgpost-46593-0-32772300-1429479421_thumb.jpgpost-46593-0-26775400-1429479439_thumb.jpgpost-46593-0-84297400-1429479450_thumb.jpgpost-46593-0-20580500-1429479468_thumb.jpg

rturbo930 - What makes you think it's a 280Z?  The tail lights are 240Z. Hood does not say 280Z. Gas cap cover has a hole in it for the hardware that a 240Z gas cap cover has. Front spoiler has a cut-out in it for a 240Z style turn signal.

Not being difficult - I evidently am missing something. Educate me.

rturbo930 - What makes you think it's a 280Z?  The tail lights are 240Z. Hood does not say 280Z. Gas cap cover has a hole in it for the hardware that a 240Z gas cap cover has. Front spoiler has a cut-out in it for a 240Z style turn signal.

Not being difficult - I evidently am missing something. Educate me.

Radiator support (hangs lower, and beefier), and the remains of the crash bumper supports, but you probably wouldn't notice those unless you were looking for them in that picture. And the floors too, as Plata mentioned. Dead giveaway.

Edited by rturbo 930

Just to clarify a few things. This car is a Frankenstein, basically took a rusted 70 240 and a rusted 77 280 and used the best of both to put the car together. We weren't trying to make a show car, just wanted something to have fun driving. I am currently waiting on the carbs to come back from rebuilding. Still have a long way to go before the car is back on the road. Just enjoying working on it with my son. It will soon be his daily driver.

I'm new to the whole Z car experience. I got the car from a friend who lost interest in the car. He and his father in law did all the body work on the car. He told me about morphing the two cars together and gave me a clear title for a 70. The firewall stamp matches the title and dash. It didn't appear to be messed with. Like I said I'm new to this and didn't realize what was newer until I tried to put in the seats out of a 240. Again I apologize if I offended anyone out there. I'm just enjoying meeting fellow Z lovers and working with my son.

You are lucky that you did not post this on Classic Z, there you would have been ban, they take such alterations to the extreme, here we are a bit tolerant.:::::: BTW, pm me with your best selling price , but it needs to be realistic as this is a glued Z.

Edited by PLATA

It is curious at which point what vin do you run. Either the firewall was transplanted into the later Z or the floor and radiator support was transplanted into the earlier one. The later is more likely, but seems like a lot of trouble and given the factory looking sound deadening in the floor also seems unlikely. A peak underneath the taillight garnish will also assist in assessing what the chassis actually is.

Yes and do be careful. If you sell this as a low vin 240z and it is in fact just a vin transplant onto a later better condition car, you are going to be in a world of hurt. A "I don't or didn't know" is not going to save you as you made factual statements of the identity of the car which can be refuted.

To answer the question, it really depends, shell wise and external body condition wise it is definitely worth more then 3k, probably in the 5k range depending on the quality of paint etc. The rest is quite variable, what engine is it running, suspension, upgrades, etc. The wonky identity really can break the deal though especially for insurance purposes. 

That's a 280z floor pan and there's no indication it's been transplanted. That and the 280z radiator core support indicates this car has had the 240z VIN numbers transferred onto a 280z chassis. If so, this car is illegal in every state in the country.