HybridZ

I can't believe this

grillhands

When I was doing my turbo conversion I installed a wideband for obvious reasons. The car always ran super rich and the mpg was terrible. After installing the wideband the car read 10 at idle and would be pinned there. It didn't idle bad but I always saw people behind me waving the fumes away from their face. I did the basic purchases such as cts, plugs, wires and rotor. The car still stunk so I picked up refurbished afm. When I installed that the car wouldn't even idle. I was uncontrollably pissed off by this. After a gin/tonic I took a step back and did a thorough check of Everything. I've come to find out for about 2 years I was driving the car with the thermotime harness connected to the cts and vice versa. The P.O. set the afm to run this way by manipulating the tension wheel and air bypass. I switched the two and instantly air fuel went to 15.5-15.7 at idle. This is just a heads up to everyone. I looked at that harness hundreds of times and never thought anything of it until I got the proper instruments to tell me otherwise. Triple check everything guys!!! That's my lesson for the day.

I have often said "it depends on your definition of what 'it works' really means."

The L-Series doesn't puff black smoke until into the low 10's or high 9's, so saying "no smoke, runs fine" doesn't really mean much in reality!

And they drive torquey when pig-bog rich!

If the CTS was disconnected it was richer everywhere.  Now it is leaner everywhere.  That's just how the system works.  Your nose may not know but it's happening.

Unless you tweaked the AFM back and are working off AFR gauge numbers.  It's a crude system you've got there, good luck with it.

Edited by NewZed

I read the diagram and explanation as 27% of  the base pulse is added on top of the other correction factors.  So by getting coolant correction back in to the equation, you lose fuel enrichment as the engine warms up compared to no coolant correction.  If the diagram is approximately to scale, that's a lot of fuel.

post-8864-0-90669900-1429662986_thumb.png

post-8864-0-88272600-1429663001_thumb.png

If your CTS falls off an N/A car, say in 110F heat going into the top turn at Willow Springs...you won't make the next turn before its so flooded with fuel it will take three days to dry the cylinders out!

The CTS is an ADDER to pulsewidth. Whatever is programmed as base, it adds to the top. In some cases this might mean 100% duty cycle....

Being rich is not a cure-all for detonation, in fact it mostly hinders the ability to pull higher loads through the loss of actual horsepower. The combustion chamber design of these heads is terrible in terms of detonation.

I've watched 8 psi sink rings on five of six forged piston cylinders without ever hearing a single "marble in a coffee can" on JWT's Dyno.

All the time, a nice sooty black smoke was exiting the rear tailpipe....under the assumption "rich safe" was the rule of the game...

Edited by Tony D