HybridZ

Steering Wheel Wobble at Highway Speeds

Nearly two years later, new ball joints, rack bushings, sway bar bushings, tension rod bushings (rubber, not poly), new springs/struts, a new set of tires and wheels and i'm still getting the same wobble in the steering. Starts around 50-55 MPH, starts to fade away around 70-75MPH, and is not felt during cornering at these speeds. Jacked car up, checked wheels for play/possible bearing failure. All solid. 

I'm pretty confused, and it seems like the only things left to replace are the brake rotor and tie rods. Is there anything i'm missing?

Have you checked

Wheels bearings front and rear

Bent hubs

Drive shaft

Differential

Any lose mounts

All wheel bearings have been checked, all of the drivetrain mounts have been replaced and tightened. The hubs, I haven't checked that's a new idea, not sure how to check them however.

Try swapping front to rears .that should help in determining if one of the tires isn't balanced or if you have a bent or out of round rim

Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that up. Once I burned my rears off a bit, I swapped them with the front and the only difference was it stopped pulling to the right. Same steering wheel wobble at the same speeds.

Last week I had the attendant at the gas station adjust my tyre pressures - i suspect he inflated the tyres too much and suddenly I had the same steering wheel wobble at certain speeds.  Worth a look.

Edited by Doc_S130

Last week I had the attendant at the gas station adjust my tyre pressures - i suspect he inflated the tyres too much and suddenly I had the same steering wheel wobble at certain speeds. Worth a look.

Interesting. All four are set to 32 psi cold. They are 215/55/r16

Edited by Connor280ZX

Alright guys, so I've done some further testing, and found some additional things to mention. So, Once I start accelerating past 80MPH, the wheel wobble fades, but simultaneously, the car starts to develop a shake/vibration that gets worse until about 120MPH, then starts to fade away and becomes smooth again. I feel it mostly in the footwell. This can be mainly felt up slopes, not as much going downward... Now that i think of it, it occasionally did this with my old set of wheels/tires too. So at this point i think we've ruled out tire/wheel balance... 

Edited by Connor280ZX

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have a cause to suggest, but clearly, you need to drive it about 120 all the time.  Simple as that. 

;)

I had a bad vibration when I bought my 280zx, but it was caused but a flat spot on the tires due to the previous owner having had to do an I suspect shit-your-pants-type emergency stop.  Got new tires and that disappeared immediately. But that does not seem to be the problem. I also had a bad vibration that could be felt in the back of the seat that was due to the get-pale-when-you-realise drive shaft getting loose and being this close to falling off. but that does not seem to be the same problem at all.

I don't have a cause to suggest, but clearly, you need to drive it about 120 all the time. Simple as that.

;)

I had a bad vibration when I bought my 280zx, but it was caused but a flat spot on the tires due to the previous owner having had to do an I suspect shit-your-pants-type emergency stop. Got new tires and that disappeared immediately. But that does not seem to be the problem. I also had a bad vibration that could be felt in the back of the seat that was due to the get-pale-when-you-realise drive shaft getting loose and being this close to falling off. but that does not seem to be the same problem at all.

Yes, I have the strong need to do 120+ regularly ;) BUT good news, took it to yet a different shop a few days ago, and they claimed my front left was "missing a weight" they re balanced all the wheels, and now it rides smooth as glass... Amazing. Definately not taking my car back to the other places if they couldn't spot a missing weight.