HybridZ

T5 bellhousing question

This is probably a stupid/simple question to most of you but I'm still learning. I currently have a 400 sbc from a '79 C30 pickup mated to a Saginaw 4 speed, my question is should a WC T5 from an 88-92 f-body bolt right up (to my existing bellhousing) in place of the Saginaw?

I understand I'll have driveshaft, shifter, speedo, etc. to play with, I'm just wondering if I'll need a different bellhousing..

The bell housing used for the The WC T5 transmission clocks  the transmission 15 degrees to the left. The shifter is tilted to the right to compensate for the left clocking of the transmission.  In a Camaro,  this allows the shifter to be  vertical. 

The T5 will mate to other Chevy bell housings, but then the rear mount will not be parallel to the ground i.e. a non T5 bell housing will clock the transmission to the right which also clocks the rear mount to the right. So you would need to fabricate an angled rear mount to allow mounting to a horizontal ross member.  It has been done here by HybridZ members in the past. Search in the Driveline forum.

My first v8 240Z came with a broken SBC 350 mated to a corvette bell housing and Saginaw 4 speed transmission which I replaced with a new engine, T5 bell housing and WC T5 transmission. I had considered not using the T5 bell housing, but rejected the idea because I didn't want to make a custom angled  rear trans mount and it seemed to me that filling/checking the fluid would be problematic considering that the fill plug would be pointing at the ground.

Here is some additional information about T5 transmissions and bell housings:  http://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/bell-housing-differences.html

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/7587-bell-housing-the-same-for-t-5-and-saginaw/?hl=%2Bcamaro+%2Bbell+%2Bhousing+%2Btilted&do=findComment&comment=55063

Speedometer drive gear: If you are using the stock speedometer you will need to match the T5 speedometer drive gear to the differential ratio used. Jags that run sell the drive gears for T5 transmissions.  If you have the JTR book there is a table that tells you which drive gear to use.

Edited by Miles

The speedo cable was attached to the Saginaw 4 speed, but the engine, transmission and differential had been blown up by the PO. So I don't know if it worked, but I wanted a five speed manual so I went with the T5. Also, the Saginaw puts the shifter too close to the dash whereas the T5 comes up in the stock shifter hole more like stock. The T5 does require removing  a small amount sheet metal on the left side of the shifter hole to clear the shifter. The T5 is really nice on the freeway. I can post pictures of the installation. I also used a stock T5 shifter that I shortened.  With some creative work on the center consul and shifter boot the shifter looks stock and you can not tell that it is offset to the left due to the tilted T5.

If you haven't already don so, buy the Jags that Run (JTR)  book on how to install a Chevy engine in a Z car.  The book covers everything:  engine, transmission choices, cooling, electrical, brakes, suspension etc.  JTR also sells some of the parts you need for the conversion.

One draw back for the T5 is it is not really designed  for gear banging with a lot of horse power. Although it can be modified for high power applications, I consider it better suited for a daily driver.

Edited by Miles

My recommendation is to forget about the T5. Its good money after bad. They are not meant to take much power. Despite my best efforts, mine did not last very long. I wish I would have not put a dime into a T5 and just saved the money for a TKO or T56

There is nothing wrong with a T-5 and the WC (World Class) version is a really good smooth shifting transmission with good gear ratios.  I have been putting 400 HP through my for over 10 years and had zero problems.  Torque is the big problem but I think the WC is rated at ~300 Lb-Ft so if you don't turn that 400 into a monster it should be OK. 

Also, I have always thought the 1984 and later Corvette bell housing was a better option than the Camaro version for a couple of reasons.  First, it installs the transmission straight up instead of the 15 degree tilt that the Camaro used.  Second is the fact that it uses a much, much more elegant clutch solution that is very easy to install in the Z car.  I used a 7/8” bore Wilwood (Tilton) master cylinder through a braided stainless steel line connected to the stock Corvette slave cylinder.  You will however, have to heat up and bend or get a different shifter to correct removing the 15 degree layover.

Edited by SpeedRacer

• 2 weeks later...

Also if you cant find one with a bell housing lakewood and someone else make after market bell housings. If need be i might be selling a wc t5 hyd throw out bearing and a few other bits in a week or 2 just pm me.