HybridZ

is it worth it?

nitekillerz

Hey guys, new member to the forum but have been following it for years. I'm a college student who loves z's but on a low budget. I have been into the s30's since freshman year in high schools. I want to buy a good z with a solid base but my budget is 3k right now. I found one and wanted to see if you guys think it's worth 3k.

Edited by nitekillerz

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/4953472567.html

That's the add for it.

Those are the pictures he's sent, should I ask for another specific area? I'm just scared of buying a nightmare instead of my dream z. Thank you for your help.

It does have a blow through carb setup that I know little about.

post-49567-0-04701900-1430192679_thumb.jpg

post-49567-0-31023800-1430192690_thumb.jpg

post-49567-0-31586600-1430192706_thumb.jpg

post-49567-0-20308700-1430192718_thumb.jpg

post-49567-0-02631000-1430192731_thumb.jpg

post-49567-0-31593500-1430192745_thumb.jpg

post-49567-0-22655700-1430193362_thumb.jpg

Edited by nitekillerz

I want it to be a weekend cruiser for now, fix rust, and the problems it brings and eventually after a couple years of saving, put a lsx in it. I have zero actual experience on cars but can learn quickly and know how to weld and do electrical issues. I want to get opinions of others as far as if they would go for it.

Looking at the pictures, that car looks complicated, even for a car guy.  It's a carb'ed turbo engine, not EFI, which is a unique little world.   The "280ZX" part is irrelevant.  "Starts right up" doesn't mean driveable.

If you want something that you can drive while you work on it, that might not be the one.  It will take some work, and there aren't many people out there that know enough to help.  For $3000 you should be able to find a fairly decent 240, 260 or 280Z that will start and drive.  Maybe even tagged and ready to go.  If you're planning an LS swap, why pay for an exotic engine?

Since you sound like you'll have other means of transportation, you could buy it, part out the motor and other things you don't need and grab a cheap L28 to put in it, fix the rust as you go and you're on your way.

Easier said than done but that's an option. they say good things comes to those that wait, however. Also, I wouldn't necessarily narrow your search down to only florida. I'm only 25 but I've had a few project cars, of which, only one came from my state.

Just my two cents.

Blake

Edited by Sovereign Z

Or instead of swapping in the LS there is a DOHC L28 head that will hopefully be available this year that looks like it can make the L-series capable of LS type HP then you can keep it all Datsun and not skimp on power and save you money down the road. Check out the L6 engine forum.

I'm limited to Florida and Georgia and honestly for Georgia it would have to be a pretty good z. The interior of this one looks pretty clean but my biggest issue is rust and wether the side rails have too much of it and the whole car might be worse. I know rust pretty much comes with any z but that one is asking too much money for that condition in my opinion. And yes I have another car I use for school and work.

I would expand your area to include the SW and California.  If the car is drivable and mostly rust free it might be worth the one-way plane ticket to go get it.  I understand a limited budget but you shouldn't settle for a car in your immediate budget that is going to eventually drain the bak trying to get it into shape.

• 2 weeks later...

You might also contact the Z car club in Atlanta.  It's a good sized club, not too far away, and they would know if there are any decent cars available in the area.  Suggest you go for a 280Z as the 240Z's are starting to get pricey.  Also the 280Z has a stouter unibody and is already set up for fuel injection.

Hey guys, new member to the forum but have been following it for years. I'm a college student who loves z's but on a low budget. I have been into the s30's since freshman year in high schools. I want to buy a good z with a solid base but my budget is 3k right now. I found one and wanted to see if you guys think it's worth 3k.

A 72 just sold on BAT for 30 big ones, that is 30 grand, good luck on the 3 g`s budget.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd avoid the hell out of it just looking at that frame. FL is horrible for cars from everything I've heard.

For a college student with low budget you really need to consider the amount of time and money you'll have to pour into the car in order to get it half way decent. Take a look around some rust repair/frame/floorpan/restoration threads and ask yourself if you can swing it with work/school.

A lot of people seem to forget that once you chop it up and get it half way done, you're not gonna be selling it off anytime soon. Granted I always look for those cars and get a good deal on parts because its just been a garage ornament for the past year due to time/money constraints.

If you REALLY want a Z then just save up pinch pennies get one from a rust free state if you have too, and have something thats not gonna end up a nightmare.

I'm in the middle of a restoration on one of my cars, and in all honesty it would of been cheaper and easier for me to just have waited a bit longer for the perfect car to pop up.

I enjoy the process and do the work myself in my off time (which isn't really enough) but trust me it's worth the wait, cars are an investment.. Dont buy on impulse! Good luck with the hunt :D

• 2 weeks later...