HybridZ

Riddle me this (72 turn signal woes)

Hello all, i just picked up a non running completely stock 72 240 and after a new battery, alternator, plugs, wires etc, she is running and driving great. Before i can register the car here in Texas, i need an inspection. Everything on the car required for inspection works great except the turn signals. At first, none of the of the turn signals worked, so i replaced the turn signal flasher, new 1157 bulbs in the front and 1156 bulbs in the back. Now all of the turn signals work except the driver side rear.

I just cant figure this one out! Fuses can be ruled out as all have continuity through them. the turn signal switch contacts can be ruled out, as it activates the front driver side turn signal. The flasher unit can be ruled out as it was just replaced and solved 3/4 of my problems and functions properly. The bulb and socket can be ruled out as the hazard switch flashes all bulbs as it should including the drivers rear turn signal bulb. After looking over the wiring diagram, I just am not visualizing how any mis-wiring could cuase this. this is the last thing keeping me from getting this girl inspected and on the road... legally. Please, any help, advice, ancient Z wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Most likely it is the turn signal switch.  The contacts either become corroded or they become bent and no longer make contact. It is repairable.  There are some tutorials here and on other Z websites.  I may still have one that I can post.

Covered extensively.  Search hybridZ  "turn signal"  "turn signal repair" etc

Google: 240Z turn signal repair.

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/34330-72-240z-turn-signal-stoped-workining/

Edited by Miles

Miles, thank you for that! My Z's symptoms match the video exactly. I had ruled out the signal switch because it activated the fronts. Makes sense that there is a contact for both the front and rear on each side. I will rip the switch apart and update on the outcome. Thanks again!

Suggestions when repairing the turn signal switch:

• There are lots of small parts, especially that small ball bearing, that can flip out and into a black hole. I lay a white towel down on the work surface to contain  the small parts if dropped. A blob of grease will hold the ball bearing in-place during reassembly
  • A small fine file or a cardboard fingernail file works to clean the contacts.
  • Sometimes the contacts become bent and need to be adjusted so they make full contact. Subtle bending is all that is required.

Suggest that you buy,  and repair,  an extra set of turn signal and headlight switches. You can use the repaired switches as a ready replacement and/or when trouble shooting light problems.

Note: The turn signal switch also switches the brake lights off/on when signaling and can cause brake light issues in addition to turn signal problems.

Edited by Miles

I followed the steps in the video this afternoon, sanding the contacts inside with some 400 grit to shine them up. The tabs holding the assembly together were already scored, telling me this has been gone through before. The whole process took about 30 minutes and turn signal issue has been resolved. I was so happy, I went straight to the inspection station.... no brake lights. DOH! After reading your post, I must have boogered something in the turn signal switch. There were the 4 turn signal contacts that are activated via the spring and ball bearing, then there were two more that are perpendicular to the 4 contacts. Would these 2 be my main area of concern when I'm back inside this switch assembly? 

Yes check them.  Also, check that the brake switch connector hasn't come loose and check all of the wire harness connectors that connect to the TS switch.

Glad this is starting to work out for you.

Got the switch apart again, and it seems that when i sanded the two contacts that are normally closed, i just barely bent it back enough to where it wouldnt make contact and complete the brake light circuit. I tweaked the tabs back where they should be, reinstalled, and now I have brake lights, turn signals, the whole works. I meant to take some photos to post, incase someone else runs into this problem and post, but was too focused on getting it fixed. I cant thank you enough Miles.