HybridZ

Front signals not working correctly (LED conversion)

Hi everyone. I have a 1975 that I have been working on for quite a while, I bought the car mostly complete (partially torn apart but It came with most of the pieces). Anyways, something it didn't come with was the front signals. So I bought the oval led lights often seen on semi's / trailers to use as front signals. The wiring for the original signals was all there so i wired the LED lights to the original wiring. I have the Hazard light working no problem, but when I turn the signals on the signal lights will turn on but will not flash, and the clicking sound in the cabin never makes a sound (signal lights front and rear stay on solid until the signal lever is turned off). I was wondering if there may be an issue with the amount of draw of the led's vs what the stock signal did. So i unhooked the LED signals and held a working front signal bulb to the wiring and the lights would randomly signal and the clicking sound would happen in the cabin. So I'm wondering if anyone else has converted to LED's and had a similar issue? Do I need to wire in a resistor or something like that? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your are  close.  Replace the old analog  flasher with an electronic flasher when using LED bulbs. It will connect to the same wire your existing flasher uses, but the electronic flasher has a pigtail for a ground.

This may be of interest:   http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/122167-riddle-me-this-72-turn-signal-woes/

Edited by Miles

It sounds like the original flasher had issues to begin with, where the flash rate was slow with conventional bulbs installed.

You are correct that the LED has a lower current draw and will not cause a conventional bi-metal flasher to operate. Even some early "electronic" flashers may not flash at the correct rate, since some of them still relied on the higher current draw of a conventional bulb.

I bought a flasher years ago when I replaced my tail light bulbs with LED that was meant for a "hybrid" system, that still had conventional bulbs and LEDs installed on the same circuit. I'm not sure how much I believe this special designation/application. The one I bought didn't require any additional wires, IIRC. If it did it was a simple ground and easy to install.

Edited by Six_Shooter