HybridZ

is water injection necessary?

hello all,

I have been reading for some time on the building of l28et motors.   I have read that some people run water injection, while others do not.    I understand that it is used to cool the air/fuel mix.   but wouldn't a efficient I/C be a cheaper, less headache solution?    I only ask because im trying to get ready to build one, and trying to do my home work.   any input would be great

Water/methanol injection is used to pull a significant amount of heat out of the process albeit it differently.  Methanol evaporates much more quickly than water and is best used to cool the intake charge.  I used to dump upwards of 1000 cc/min of methanol at full boost and my intake charge would be around 50 degrees.  While some would reach the combustion chamber, it is not nearly as effective as water for in-cylinder temperature reduction.

Water, on the other hand, has a much higher latent heat of evaporization and does not evaporate as quickly.  However, it has a much greater potential to pull more heat out of the process.  It primarily pulls heat out of the combustion chamber itself.

The IC, while effective and better than nothing, is not nearly as "efficient" as removing heat as methanol/water.  However, it is MUCH safer.  Water and methanol injection are great......if you have fail safes.

that makes sence.   to be honest, iv heard it mentioned here on HybridZ more than any mustang web site I used to browse back when I was into fox bodies.  so I had to find out what it was all about.    thanks     going to do more google searches and see what else I can find.

• 4 weeks later...

For a turbo Tom setup (holley 4 barrel turbo system) using an intercooler was a little difficult since the system was what's called a "draw through" system instead of the usual "blow through" meaning the intake side of the turbo is after the carb which is drawing in air/fuel mix instead of just air. Fuel helps to cool the intake charge but since it's butted up right next to the turbo you can't get an intercooler in there. So having a water/methanol system in that kind of kit helps to reduce heat and push the boost you can run. Just don't run out of water with this and no problems! Lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The problem with water/meth is that you really have to tune for it.

Virtually what you end up doing is leaning out the mixture for the meth to make up for it, then you can add timing.

Problem is the lack of fail safe measures.  Most of the time, the ECU won't know if it's spraying meth or not.  And then it runs leans and goes boom.