HybridZ

lights on even with light switch off

hey guys, looking for a little help here as my car will be off to the tuner next week. Here is a little background, 75 280z automatic swapped to s2 rb25 manual. I ripped out most of the unused wiring and tried to not touch any of the lighting circuits other than tapping into for gauges and such. Now that everything is back together when i turn the key switch to the on position all my lights come on excluding the headlights, even with the light switch off. I have a few wires left over after the swap in the steering column area but i think they are just the A/T kick down and stg lock(whatever that is). Anyone ever encountered this lighting problem? Its my first z and didn't really pay attention to the lighting when i first got it however i would assume it was working correctly before i dissected it. 

Might not be a good assumption that the lights were working correctly previously.  Did a PO do the RB swap?  If so, they could (and probably did) change a whole bunch of crap that you'll be finding over the next several years (speaking from experience, of course).  Electrically, these 40 year old cars can kind of be a nightmare, especially ones that have been highly modified.

Probably start with the light switch stalk itself.  Pull it and check for correct functionality....it may be jacked up internally, causing full-time "On" condition.

Since this is your first Z, check out free FSM downloads for all years S30 at:  http://www.xenons30.com/

Good luck.