HybridZ

Shoulder harness installation

BLOZ UP

Tell me if this is a bad idea. I'm using the OEM shoulder belt bolt location. It sits pretty level with me belted in.

20150503_203027_zpsfnc5zg2p.jpg

But, the right belt is angled. I checked through a few harness posts, but couldn't find any reference to horizontal angle. I browsed through the linked Schroth instructions as well without finding a diagram showing any horizontal allowance.

I could put the right harness on either of the two forwardmost shock tower bolts, but I do not know if that area is strong enough.

Or should I just get a proper harness bar? This is just for autocross at this point, to keep me in the seat. The stock belt barely fit with my Sparco Torino.

Last question. Where can I bolt the antisubmarine belt to? I'm guessing the stock most central belt bolt location is out of the question. It seems too far behind and to the left of below the crotch area that appears to be specified.

a harness at that bolts to all three strut mounting bolts on both sides is a better option. At least a 1" OD by .120 wall tube.

For a single crotch strap the mounting point should be centered In the floor pan under the seat and back behind your butt.

a harness at that bolts to all three strut mounting bolts on both sides is a better option. At least a 1" OD by .120 wall tube.

I could make that. Is the current location dangerously unsafe? Would it be better to move one belt to one of the strut studs?

Also, I can't seem to find it, but a few people made harness bars that attach near where the speakers (280Z) are. There are apparently 3 10 or 12mm holes on each side (behind the door). Are those sturdy enough for a harness bar? It's likely I won't use that anyway, as I'd rather make a harness/strut bar across the strut tower.

For a single crotch strap the mounting point should be centered In the floor pan under the seat and back behind your butt.

Hm, the stock lower belt receiver has two bolts. One on the side, and one near the center. It's about 4" off center, IIRC. But it is just behind the seat. That's not acceptable, I'm guessing?

I can't say whether the current installation is safe or unsafe.  All depends on how you crash.  I will say that I would never personally install the harnesses in my or my customers car that way.  Those factory mounting holes are fine because they are for the Nissan Sports Option roll bar.  Install the crotch strap as I mentioned.

Another option for mounting the 5th strap is a horizontal bar integral to your seat brackets....either round bar or flat bar will work, as long as it's sturdy stuff, and positioned as John recommended.  Also make sure that the surface is smooth, so as not to chafe and wear your harness strap prematurely.

Yes, good idea. I was considering going to trans tunnel seat belt mount hole, as I do not want to weld on the body. However, angling the bar toward the trans tunnel seat belt mount point would be iffy, since I'd have to clear the seat. So, something that fits between the seat bracket and the floor for the two rear seat bolts would be better. I was thinking I could improve it having a 3rd mount point at the rear belt receiver mount point.

Here's a shitty diagram, not to scale:

tRtC30r.png

Red is proposed bracket. Blue is the antisubmarine belt. There would have to be some type of slot or slip prevention. I just put some tabs on there to keep the belt in place. Slot on the rear would be better now that I think about it.

Edited by BLOZ UP

Does your seat have a specific hole/slot in the butt plate for the A-S strap?  If so, that should keep the strap in place and prevent slipping without the need for other tabs, true?  Attached is pic of my Corbeau which should illustrate the slot in the butt plate to which I'm referring.

post-4224-0-88926100-1430957507_thumb.jpg