HybridZ

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

I've been away out of country for a bit...... Next AutoX race is August 20 and I'll post some video of that when available. I pulled off the rear tail light surrounds and gave them a refurbishing. Finished in satin black with the aluminum beauty ring intact. Looks really nice with black bumpers and other black bits. I'll post some pics soon. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Video from this past weekend.  Top 4 for me separated by 1.3 secs from top time.... They all run full race tires and I'm on 200 tread wear.

2nd run of the day.... Not my fastest run (I went 2 secs faster than this) 

Edited by trackzpeed
Deleted video since Vimeo tried to sell us crap instead of my posted video

• 1 month later...

Waiting for my 300M stub axles and 108mm 930 cv half shafts to arrive.   I'll change it all out this winter and she should be bullet proof.   I almost converted to 8.8 rear end but I'm in so deep to what I've got, and it works so well, I decided to run all of this instead.  One of the great Z vendors is putting the finishing touches on a complete 8.8 kit that will be super trick..... But I can let his cat out of the bag just yet. Keep your eyes and ears open......

On 9/26/2017 at 11:48 PM, trackzpeed said:

One of the great Z vendors is putting the finishing touches on a complete 8.8 kit that will be super trick..... But I can let his cat out of the bag just yet. Keep your eyes and ears open......

GASP WEEEEEEEEEEE

Edited by tim.d

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_2277.thumb.JPG.c397f251b3761501f27cd6beb896fb4d.JPGIMG_2279.thumb.JPG.3a123cfd75e5a9a95cec8dd95975f7c3.JPGIMG_2280.thumb.JPG.c08eafa10b602c26e8b620e45ccaa803.JPGThere is a design problem with the DSS adapters.  DSS didn't mill them to bolt up from the inside of the CV however provided hardware with nyloc nuts to bolt through the adapter and nut up on the backside of the diff stub axle flange. There is no way that works with the limited space. The button heads from the stubs pressed into the axle are already very limited on space. Multiple contacts to DSS for a fix of the problem and I'll I got was "get shorter bolts" and "we've never seen studs pressed into the stub axle like that". For the amount of money I paid for this "bolt on no fab solution" this is really pathetic..... when I tear is all down this winter I'll have it machined myself and it will work fine.   Just giving the community a buyer-beware for the DSS product and crappy service from their so called Tech.   To be fair, everything else DSS provided is top notch.

4 hours ago, trackzpeed said:

Multiple contacts to DSS for a fix of the problem and I'll I got was "get shorter bolts" and "we've never seen studs pressed into the stub axle like that". For the amount of money I paid for this "bolt on no fab solution" this is really pathetic..... when I tear is all down this winter I'll have it machined myself and it will work fine.   Just giving the community a buyer-beware for the DSS product and crappy service from their so called Tech.   To be fair, everything else DSS provided is top notch.

Did you talk to more than one person?  Can't imagine that the guy who designed it hadn't seen the press-in studs.  Sounds like you didn't get far enough up the chain.

Aren't the CV joints the weak link on many of the 930 style axles?  The diameter isn't worth much if the CV joint fails.

Torque and horsepower aren't the same thing.  And multiple posts from the past have laughed at the 800 or 1000 HP claims.  Nonsense numbers.

These are the larger 108mm 930cv joints. They should hold up fine for my LS1 swap... I'm putting down around 350 to the wheels so no worries.   I  went with the DSS half shafts cause I used there 300M stub axles with 108 mm 930 companion flanges which was my concern for failure on the track.  I believe the R200 CLSD diff stub will hold up fine too.   I'm not a 1/4 mile guy and I rarely if ever perform dump clutch burn outs.   AutoX and road course for me..... And I can roast the tires any time I please with my right foot only.    I've only worked with Mike at DSS..... He initially gave me the "we'll get it figured out and working" line, but has since offered no real solutions and failed to answer numerous emails since.   At this point, I don't trust them to half ass this thing so I'm going to fix it right myself. Jim 

Last race of the season for me tomorrow.   I didn't get to run as much as I'd like..... family comes first but I was consistently top 5 on street tires. I'll post video when the day is done and post updates on my axle and suspension swap in the off season.  Still love this car.... LS swap was the best car decision I've made in a very long time. Jim 

IMG_2290.MOV

IMG_2291.MOV

IMG_2289.thumb.JPG.73492c3ec3916df1957f42e036e46e57.JPG

A couple of quick clips from my last race of the season. And the finished fuel cell product with proper under structure and lid/cover.  I was running my mock up stuff for a year without a problem but this is much better and stronger.  Time to tear into the rear end LCA's and axles. I'll be moving up in tire size at the rear as well from 255 to 275 17's.  Found a tire that will work and will help with the much needed grip. Jim 

Edited by trackzpeed

• 3 weeks later...

I have come to realize that DSS stands for Drive Shit Shop not Drive Shaft Shop.  I purchased their full bolt on axle kit and stub axles rated to 800 hp.  Absolutely none of their "bolt on" product bolts on my Z.  The adapter to diff stub axle is designed wrong and the hardware they sent will never fit....... After 3 weeks of doing my own research and sourcing my own hardware I finally came up with a solution to make the adpter work and fit albeit with ZERO input or help from DSS.    Tonight, I went to test fit the new OEM bearings on the new wheel stub axles from DSS and they slop all around!   The bearing surface on their stub axles measures 30mm and my stock stubs are 32mm.  I am so freakin pissed right now!  My car is totally torn down and nothing DSS sent me fits or is compatible with my 240Z.      DSS part numbers are DAR-1 and DAR-WHEEL......... DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!   The only thing bolt on about it is that it bolts to itself beautifully.  To bad it just won't bolt into a Z as advertised and the tech support doesn't know jack squat about Datsuns or its own product to help.    Now I get the joy of trying to get my money back..... Oh joy!    Jim