HybridZ

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

• 2 weeks later...

Well kind of a bummer.... the 275's rub on the flares with casual driving.  I'm confident they will be much worse under race conditions.  I'm running the car really low for COG and don't currently have adjustable perches for ride height adjustments.  Soooooo, I'm going back to the 255 40 17 until I can adjust ride height or may just run a second set of wheels-tires with A comp rubber that has sizing to fit my current set up.  AutoX this Sunday, I'll post some video when I get the chance.  Jim

On 2/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, Phantom said:

Keep an eye on your front spindles. Guy here with a V8 240 and sticky tires has broken his a couple times and is looking for something beefier.

What is the failure mode? I would like to see some pics of one of these. 

On 2/26/2018 at 7:17 PM, Phantom said:

Keep an eye on your front spindles. Guy here with a V8 240 and sticky tires has broken his a couple times and is looking for something beefier.

I know T3 currently sells front struts wherein the entire thing....spindle included....is manufactured/machined for them.  No OEM Datsun parts used at all.  I presume that would make them a bit stronger....but not sure.

The failure is in the flange part of the spindle.  Extremely hard cornering with wide sticky tires created more force than a stock 240Z spindle can handle. From what I heard this is not an unusual failure when pushing cornering limits to the extreme.

Finished top 5 today. I have a couple of great videos but I’m such a techno dufus I can figure how to consistently create links to full videos. Is there a way to share my Facebook videos?  Quick pic from the end of the day..... I’m really loving the the new suspension parts.  Jim 

DADAEF6B-C3FE-42F2-A00B-39874197B0FB.thumb.jpeg.d05b9b9ba16d275e6c44fe7f211f27ae.jpeg0ECB3AED-D636-4D24-BFAF-2205DFCE97D8.thumb.jpeg.015e43b17255c9efe1bc8150be739822.jpeg987B7107-8AD5-4762-919C-4D6F9B737494.thumb.jpeg.1ca8907077af46857c9e635d7b988b8a.jpeg

Are bearing spacers being used on your front axles that are breaking? There is a thread around somewhere on that topic together with what's available, never heard of breaking problems when using them, primarily they are are used to counter flex which I guess if excessive would lead to breakage.

On 3/10/2018 at 5:01 PM, Phantom said:

The failure is in the flange part of the spindle.  Extremely hard cornering with wide sticky tires created more force than a stock 240Z spindle can handle. From what I heard this is not an unusual failure when pushing cornering limits to the extreme.

I brought this up earlier as a caution to autoX folks that push their cars really hard. This particular guy had broken the right front spindle twice on the track he was running.  He did have the fastest overall time each time. While not unusual it is not a frequent failure = evidently only occurring on car/track combinations that can induce extremely high cornering stresses.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok community.... help me pick a color.  I’m  shooting for a paint job sometime in late June early July. My top 3 picks are GM torch red,  grabber/cobalt blue, or medium gloss grey.  Everything currently in grey primer, plus air dam, would get painted one of the above colors, with satin black on the hood, flares, spoiler....accents. I will leave the white/black stripe down the fenders but they will be done in vinyl.   One consideration is to paint the hood body color as well then vinyl it with the stripes.  

Appreciate the thoughts and feedback.  Jim 

Hard to make recommendations...colors are so personal.  For track cars I like saturated non-metallics...pastel easter-egg type colors.... Like the colors Porsche offers in the GT3 RS.

I would like to see a "Z" in Porsche "Signal Green"....for example.

Related image

Image result for porsche gt3 colors

These are two of my top contenders...... I've had red before so one of these take first pick for me.  I've also considered moving away from the "race" look all together and just using the black accents.  Sadly, I go to bed every night flip flopping about all of it.   LOL  

Image result for porsche gt3 colors

This is sweet but I'm not sure I'm that willing to commit.