HybridZ
trackzpeed

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

dropping tank and Datsun lines this weekend..... also still working on cleaning up the engine bay.  Can I ditch the huge (solenoid????) that was connected to the Datsun alternator?  It's wired into the harness on the passenger frame rail which I need to keep for chassis electrics but I don't know it's function or if its necessary in an LS swap.  Thanks Guys, Jim  

Having added a sump to a stock tank myself, I would not take that approach if I could do it all over. The stock tank is a bitch to get in and out. Plus, it fits the car do tightly that there is no room for some of the things that an LS-Z eventually winds up needing: like a parachute and a trailer hitch. It's just too crowded.

trackzpeed, I end up doing a sump to my 240's fuel tank and ran whole new steel line for main line. I'm utilizing a corvette filter/regulator but keeping it by the tank so that's one less line to run.

Thanks for the info. Where did you buy your sump? Summit has one but its 11" long and may need be modified a bit to make it work. I'm planning the same as you but intended not to use the steel line..... Are you by passing the expansion tank or keeping it? I was going to ditch it but it will make venting to the fill the tank a bugger. Are you running 8 or 6 an fittings from sump to pump and filter ? Thanks again.

Having added a sump to a stock tank myself, I would not take that approach if I could do it all over. The stock tank is a bitch to get in and out. Plus, it fits the car do tightly that there is no room for some of the things that an LS-Z eventually winds up needing: like a parachute and a trailer hitch. It's just too crowded.

Thanks Keith. My original plan was fuel cell but i don't like the filler option inside the driver/pass space. No need for a chute as I can't run the 1/4 to save my life lol. Strictly a road racer/autoX/mountain/spirited weekend guy. Since the Z is unibody, I worry a touch about removing the wheel well and properly supporting again with big costs..... Figure if I sump the stock tank I can always change my mind later. Thanks again. Jim

^Did you do that yourself? What was done to prep it? I have been contemplating a low pressure pump>surge>high pressure pump>filter setup but am not completely sold. Have toyed with the sump idea, just not sure what to do for complete prep work. I Have read hot tank followed by argon purge during welding.

Correct! The sump came with 1/2 fittings and just ordered some -8an to 1/2 npt fittings and seems to do the job well enough. 

As for prep.. just clean the tank and make sure no fuel is left. then cut and sand the area and weld her in. The sump had to be modified as shown to fit the bend in the tank. a simple pie slice cut out of each side of the sump and a hammer to bend it over.

Honestly didn't even argon purge the tank as I was already low on my tank. Might have been because it was a overlap joint vs butt joint.  But verified no leaks and didn't have to touch anything up. Afterwards I dumped a bunch of Ospho in the tank to make sure any rust that was left got removed. The white film you see in that picture is also from ospho.. the weld looked much better before the ospho lol. Wish I would have taken a picture after the weld vs after ospho.

Edited by CableSrv

Thanks Keith. My original plan was fuel cell but i don't like the filler option inside the driver/pass space. No need for a chute as I can't run the 1/4 to save my life lol. Strictly a road racer/autoX/mountain/spirited weekend guy. Since the Z is unibody, I worry a touch about removing the wheel well and properly supporting again with big costs..... Figure if I sump the stock tank I can always change my mind later. Thanks again. Jim

Jim,

My son put a 16 gallon fuel cell in place of his spare tire well and ran the filler neck out behind the license plate on his '73 240Z.  It's a nice installation.  If you're interested I'll see if he can give me the MFG/model number.

Edited by Phantom

Jim,

My son put a 17 gallon fuel cell in place of his spare tire well and ran the filler neck out behind the license plate on his '73 240Z.  It's a nice installation.  If you're interested I'll see if he can give me the MFG/model number.

That would be great.... I'm always willing to change course if a better plan pops up. Funny you should post this. The cost of hot tanking and welding in a sump is just shy of putting in a real fuel cell. I still have some trepidation about weakening the chassis though... thoughts anyone?

This is true, but also means you lose your spare tire well. This was something I just didn't want do lose just yet. Not only that but having to modify the filler location was a pain I also didn't want to deal with. Time will tell on whether I might switch to a fuel cell myself.

If you're worried about the rigidity of the chassis when removing the spare tire well, just weld in a cover with an access hatch where your sump is, in case you need to service it. But I really wouldn't be worried about it, there are a lot of people removing their spare tire well for fuel cells, and I've never read or heard of any issues.

Losing the space is a personal question. My last sports car was a Datsun Roadster. There was no spare tire well, so if you carried the spare, it took up over half the space in the trunk. I got over that quick and just carried a AAA card instead.

I'll be using the stock Camaro plastic tank, which will allow me to route the fuel filler to the original location, and not get too fancy with dual exhaust routing. But I think you'll be running a single exhaust with the CX kit, so that is less of a concern.

Also, I don't know much about racing sanctioning bodies, but if you are planning on tracking the car, you may want to confirm what will be allowed. The "fuel cells" that that they sell for $100 at Summit aren't true fuel cells. They are just fuel safe formed plastic container, but don't have the bladder which is the true safety part.

My son got his fuel cell from www.Tanksinc.com.  It is a universal pick-up truck fuel tank.  Part number UT-N.  When you go to the website it will show tanks.  You'll want the one on the right as it's for fuel injection. You'll need ventless gas cap to go with it and to run vent for the tank.  He ran his up in the rear passenger shock tower area. He has a bolt down plate covering the installation. He got the license plate bracket off a 50's/60's vintage auto from a salvage yard.

Also - I've been driving over 50 yearns and I've had a total of 5 flat tires, and none of them in the last 15 years.  I've had a few nails but was able to driven the tire to a shop to get it fixed.  The tire well in my Z is not useable except as a small "trunk".  The only flat I had in it was about 20 years ago when a really old BFG radial T/A blew out a sidewall on me.

Photos:

post-263-0-29350600-1431537139_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-31998000-1431537181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phantom