HybridZ

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

Point of no return on the fuel cell.... spare tire well removed.   Mr. postman brought my LT headers... Look nice and no apparent gaps in the welds at collector end.  V bands are nice and came with gaskets to boot.  Cell should arrive soon so I can plan my attack on the install and associated future go fast goodies. 

post-38304-0-47769700-1432940829_thumb.jpost-38304-0-25853200-1432940849_thumb.jpost-38304-0-81297500-1432940873_thumb.jpost-38304-0-02741400-1432940896_thumb.j

post-38304-0-47769700-1432940829_thumb.jpg

post-38304-0-25853200-1432940849_thumb.jpg

post-38304-0-81297500-1432940873_thumb.jpg

post-38304-0-02741400-1432940896_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's just mock-up, right? You're not really gonna use Lowe's perforated angle? I'd use a planning weight (a little safety factor) of about 100# for a fuel tank that size.

At 6.3 lbs/gallon the fuel in a 15 gallon tank would weigh 94.5 lbs and then you have the weight of the tank and anything else attached to the tank.  And then you have to add a safety factor to account for "G" forces when hitting bumps, etc. There will also be "leverage" factor based on the center of mass of the tank and the distance to the retaining bolts.  The more the merrier.  When I used to design structures and equipment the general philosophy was to "Kill flies with planets". :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As RebekahsZ said, it's simple. There is an o-ring in place to keep fluid from leaking, but it's only locked in by a small pin. Knock that out and push your new fitting in, then reuse the pin to lock the new fitting in. Done! 

Might I suggest that while you are working on that part of the transmission.. if you haven't already.. purchase a remote bleed clutch kit for the t56.. While the bottom hole is the clutch line from the MC, the top line is where you fill it... and not sure if you noticed where that line exits at under the trans tunnel.. but lets just say it's a total bitch to get to if you try to flush the fluid for the clutch. I have my remote bleed run up next to my tilton mc, so it makes bleeding my clutch stupid easy. 

Oh and RebekahsZ.. I got lucky I guess... I only had to bleed my clutch once and it's perfect!

Well I got the slave done..... Minus the remote bleeder, argh! The one I bought from summit doesn't screw into the slave. I found one at speedway that will work so a day or returning, ordering, and waiting for now..... After this is done, I have some clean up then its time to swap the motor/trans into the Z. Should be in the Z by the end of August, with other projects pending that take precedence.

• 1 month later...

Motor and trans are in. Shifter come through the hole as advertised. I will post pics when I can on Monday.....

I was able to install with the passenger header bolted up, there is plenty of room to do the driver header after the fact... Install was a snap, I hand tightened the entire mount on to the block including what bolts into the cross member uprights. Lifted the back of the car onto ramps and the front on jack stands just high enough to allow the hoist legs to roll under the car. I pre installed the tranny mount as well minus the part that will drill through the tunnel. My car is a 72, it had threaded "wings"/tranny mounts and after I trimmed off a small tab on the trans housing it fit in place very easy without any extra cutting and ability to use the stock mounts. Really slick or lucky, I'm not sure. Once I had the tranny in the tunnel and the bolts threaded through the mount, the motor mounts were already lined up. All I had to do was slip the bolt through and bolt it down. I unloaded the motor from the hoist, let it all settle in place and bolted her all down. All that remains is the additional supports through the tunnel but I'm waiting on those until I know for sure the tailhousing and rear end are lined up. Felt good to get this far, feel like I'm in the home stretch now. Pics coming soon.

Great work.  I just put the LS1 back together for my build, broken valves (3) from the wreck, yes that hard a wreck.  Picking up the trans in the morning, bad repair job on the drain plug.  New LS7 clutch kit is on the way.  Have not started the Z car part of the project yet, I hope to get it on the rotisserie in the next couple of weeks to do rust repair and sub frame install.  Other projects and life get in the way for all of us.  Glad to hear the CXR stuff is working out.  I have NONE of the conversion stuff bought yet but the CXR stuff is still in the lead.  All the exhaust done is the major factor.  I plan to start a thread after labor day.  

Again nice work keep us updated.  Richard.