HybridZ

TrackZpeeds CXRacing LS1 T56 240z

Bucket list trip.  Let me get my last one into college next year and maybe we could do something in the spring of 2016 or 2017.  My car may be getting a cage in the spring of '16 and out of commission.  Would want to have our own little ZCON with a road course (Motorsport Ranch) and or a drag night.

Can I vote?  I'll be done with school spring 17 and I should have the turbo 4.8 by then.  I'll be swapping in a NA 4.8 this winter along with the 8.8 IRS setup, then turboing it next year.

Edited by bramagedained

Beautiful build trackzpeed.... Greatly influential to those of us attempting to follow in your footsteps. I plan to use the same CX Racing products,looks like so far so good regarding the quality of parts. My question is in regards to your fuel cell. I noticed 2 outputs from the sump and a vent on the top. Will you be running a return line? Also will you be running a surge tank of some sort?

No fire yet.... Spent most of the weekend helping my daughter with a science project.  harness is very nive but instructions for intsall are limited at best.  On a positive note, Yury from Wiring Specilaties called me personally over the weekend to address my questions I left on their answering macnine.... Nice customer service IMO. 

Corvette filter/regulator has a return line that plumbs back into the cell.... no surge tank planned as of yet. 

My daughter's science project was to test how the weight of a drag car affects the car's performance in the 1/8-mile.  We loaded the car with 250# of sandbags, then went and drag raced until she and I were both achieving pretty consistent ETs.  Then we took out the sandbags and repeated the test and tune.  We graphed the results.  Very simple project, but I got to hang out with Rebekah at the track and she got good with a clutch.  This, of course, was with the L6 and her fastest mph was about 68mph.  I would not do this again with the LS2.  She made an A and all the boys thought she was super cool!

I have some questions regarding the old Datsun wiring.

Old starter wires. Can I use the thick ringed white wire that was previously attached to the hot post of the Datsun starter and attach it to the hot post of the LS1 starter to power the Datsun chassis safely? And, is the black and white (maybe yellow it's hard to tell) wire with the slide connector that previously went to the solenoid "key on" hot?

Old alternator wires. What do I do with the yellow wires still attached to the plug that previously plugged into the alternator? What do I do with the black wire (I believe a ground) can I tie that to the chassis for ground safely? If I use the white wire from the old starter to the hot post on the LS1 starter for power, can I now delete the white and red wire that pulled hot from the alternator?

Old coil wires.  My previous straight 6  had been converted to a  pointless ignition.... The green and black and white  wire were tied together  as a bypass I assume .there is another black and white wire  that I believe was for tach,  what do I do with all of these ?

If I get these  things  squared away I am good to go  and can fire the car .  here are my thoughts correct me if I'm wrong.  I have run  a line  from the alternator to the hot post  on the starter  and from the hot post  up to  the positive on the battery .  I have tied my wearing specialties  wiring  per instructions  into the alternator  hot post  in starter signal solenoid as well. If I use the old Datsun ringed white wire that was previously tied to the hot post on the Datsun starter I should safely be able to provide power to the chassis, correct???????? I can use the old  slide connector  wire that went to the  Datsun  solenoid  as a key on  hot  to tie in to the  wiring  specialties  wiring....... and I don't know what the heck to do with the old coil wires.  Thanks in advance to the Datsun/LS1 community. Jim

The kit should have a few wires that need power.. and a few wires that get grounded. Any engine harness cable that needed power, I added to my starters + terminal post.

Your body harness uses the white/red for main power which should come from the starter of the old engine. The white/red from the alternator is your old charge cable. if your new harness has a new charge cable then you can effectively remove the white/red from the alternator. Otherwise keep using it.

the black/yellow is your starter solenoid wire. it's what tells the starter to actually turn the engine over. 

starter + terminal should have a cable going to the battery, the alternator, and a ignition 12v wire

starter solenoid terminal should have a black/yellow wire connected to it

alternator should have a engine harness single wire clip that plugs in, and a charge cable that goes to the battery +

I suggest you make a few extra grounds while you are at it. I grounded the heads, alternator, and block.

You can ignore or cap off all the old coil/distributor wiring as it is no longer needed.

Edited by CableSrv

She's alive..... for some reason I can't post the video but the Z fired right up.  Lots of little stuff to wrap up but I should get some seat time next week.  Any suggestions on where to mount the PCM?  I've played with a few spots but its sitting in the passenger footwell for now.