HybridZ

New Paint Scheme?

Phantom

2005_0723Image0024edited.jpg

This is a photo of my car taken about 10 years ago.  It still looks pretty much the same, just more road rash. It has reached the point that I'm getting ready to have it repainted and some minor damage issues taken care of.

Soooo -  My question is: Do I just redo the paint the way it is (which I love) or do I tweak it in some way to add a little more pizzaz?

Not much I would change about that car. I like the deeper red you have on the exterior and I would not change that. I would eliminate the stripe also. The interior color red is is not as deep as the exterior red. I like the exterior color better than the interior color. However, I would try to match the two colors. So, as you are not changing the interior I would match the exterior color to the interior color.

Now for the muffler, you have nice duel pipes running to a muffler with a single outlet of what appears to be the same diameter as the two duel pipes. This causes a air flow restriction. Magna Flow and I think Borla makes a duel inlet and a duel out let Stainless steel muffler that would eliminate the restriction. Borla makes great tips that can be welded on for a stacked duel exhaust. I was looking at doing a stacked set of Borla 45 degree slash cut with inter-cooling fins and a Magna Flow duel in and duel out muffler. A good welder could make that look really cool. Just my 2 cents.

Guys - thanks for the suggestions! Painter and I had a disagreement about the stripe but, once it was done, he then agreed that it added to the car.  I do, however, like the idea of ghosting in the stripe.  How do you do that?  Use a darker version of the same red?

What do you think of adding SCCA stripes?  Something else?  Don't get hung up on the big racing stripe up the middle.  Thats going to get sanded off with the repaint.  Also though about ghosting in "LS1" somewhere on the hood or front fenders.  Thoughts?

310Z - The muffler is a Magnaflow with dual 2.5" inlets and a 3" outlet.  It is designed to have very low restriction as there is only about 4" of the 3" pipe.  Changing that would gain me about a quarter HP.  Used to have  dual, slash cut, exhausts and had issues with the lower one dragging on steep driveways - thus the single outlet.  I think a slash cut tip would look better but that's another day.

Edited by Phantom

3 in. is adequate for a 5.7 I could not tell the diameter in the photos. Ghosting in LS1 on the side of the bulge in the hood would look good. So would just below the body line on behind the front wheel arch. One or the other but not both. Both areas would look too gaudy. To me solid color look better on a sports car and large stripes look better on muscle cars. You have a combination. a sports car with a muscle car heart. So any thing is OK. I am no painter but it is my understanding that to ghost in a color you start with clear pearl and add a touch of color just enough to show at certain angles. SCCA strips would look good on your car in black or silver and possibly some other colors.

Now starting to lean toward reprinting the car gun metal gray metallic with ZG flares, red brake calipers, and SCCA racing stripes on each fender in contrasting colors like red & silver, and "LS1" integrated into the stripes. I'd leave the engine bay red and contrast it with metallic gray.

Thoughts?

I'd definitely have to change out. The wheels and tires if I do that as the current ones wouldn't look right with the color or the flares.

Edited by Phantom

I thought they were pretty nice when I ordered them from Centerline in 1997.  They have about 100,000 miles on them now and are still looking pretty nice.  I have a feeling they'll be up for sale this next spring.  Thinking about Watanabe's like my son has on his '73.  Hmmm - maybe I'll get him to swap with me. :-)

I like that red you have, and would lose the stripe as others have mentioned. A gunmetal grey would look pretty bad ass, but I'd change out the interior to all black if you went that route. Add the LS1 in black on the side fender just below the body line. I am curious how that body kit has held up for you. Any regrets, "lessons learned" or wish you had picked a different style? Any issues with using a jack to get under the car? I am seriously considering going with either the one you have or the "stage 3" version from here http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/classic02a01a since both my bumpers are shot, and replacing them would be about the same cost as the body kit. 

Bob,

I've had the MSA Type 2 kit on my car for 18 years and it has survived fairly well. Only caution I would have would be to ensure the parts are very securely mounted. The side skirts don't extend below the body so they won't make jacking any more difficult.

I'll have a few minor repairs done on mine when the repaint gets done.

RebekahsZ - 1st - Congrats to Rebekah on her achievements! I know you must be really proud of her.

2nd - Yeah, I've vacillated back and forth on the LS1 thing but I'm really not into being hassled by guys that don't have a chance so I'm probably going to do it for the statement: "Wow, you really have an LS1 in there!?" :-)

3rd - Been looking a lot at wheels and tires.  The Rota RB's come in 17x9.5 with a -19 offset which I'm told fits fine front and rear on the Z (with flares).  They also come with a metallic gray spoke which would go well with my paint scheme. My son has a set on his 240Z so I can do a fit test before I order.

For tires I'm looking at the Toyo Proxes R1R since they have the performance specs I'm wanting and my local Les Schwab dealer handles them. Will run 275/40-17 in the rear and front if I can.  If I have to narrow up on the front I'll run 255/40-17's.

Edited by Phantom

Bob,

I've had the MSA Type 2 kit on my car for 18 years and it has survived fairly well. Only caution I would have would be to ensure the parts are very securely mounted. The side skirts don't extend below the body so they won't make jacking any more difficult.

I'll have a few minor repairs done on mine when the repaint gets done.

Thanks for the feedback, that helps to put my mind at ease in regards to getting one of these body kits.

Bob,

The biggest issue with the fiberglass kits is the variation in the cars.  Over the past 40 years most of them have been dinged & repaired or parts have flexed and moved around so there will be tweaks & minor modifications you'll have to make to get a good fit with the front spoiler.  The other panels are pretty straight forward and will need very little "adjusting".