HybridZ

T3 Front Control Arms and TC Rods

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/240z/gtx2-front-lower-control-arms-and-tc-rods-datsun-240z-260z-and-280z

Has anyone seen or tried these yet? They are pretty new to the website, and looks like the same pictures as the ones for Celicas and maybe some other cars as well.

Their original set comes out about $40 more. They look, to my untrained eye, stouter but with less adjustability. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts on these.

Years ago we did something like that and found using the double rod ends didn't work.  Under hard braking the wheels hopped.  If you replaced the rod end on the control arm it was fine.  I don't see how these would solve that problem unless I'm missing something fundamental.  

Cary

So, tube80z, so what you are saying is that there needs to be a rigid attachment from the control arm to the T-C rod? To keep the control arm from flailing around in a rotational direction? I wonder if a pin and clevis would work better without a bearing at the control arm/T-C rod junction. Most guys still active on this site will likely never see what some of us call "heavy braking". How "heavy" are you talking about?

So, tube80z, so what you are saying is that there needs to be a rigid attachment from the control arm to the T-C rod? To keep the control arm from flailing around in a rotational direction? I wonder if a pin and clevis would work better without a bearing at the control arm/T-C rod junction. Most guys still active on this site will likely never see what some of us call "heavy braking". How "heavy" are you talking about?

Yes, just need to remove this extra degree of freedom.  Braking level was 1 G or so.  Wheel hopped so bad it broke the rod end.  If you have the strut off and just the steering arm on and you move through rotation and it suddenly flops from front to back that's a sure sign you'll have an issue.  At lower load never a problem.  The other issue I see in this is that you're going to see higher tie-rod loads.  So on a car where those are older or marginal you might have a problem.  

It's an easy fix if you do run into the problem.  Simple sub in a solid rod and and declare victory.

Cary

Yes, you need the two arms solidly attached, and then the two rodends at the body make it act like a bind-free A-arm. If you look at the AZCAR kit you see they use a clevis which prevents deflection somewhat.

I really don't understand TTT, they make a lot of noob mistakes in their designs, like making something super strong, with a super weak spot.

• 1 month later...

I think T3 needs to include instructions with this setup. Had to send my stock steering knuckle to be machined in order for the LCA to fit. Sooooo that also means any aftermarket steering knuckle like the AZC will also need to be machined to fit. Sorry it took a while for install. Had coilover issues and had to order a new setup which took a month for arrival.

Edited by miky360

So the hole that the ball joints bolts through to was the wrong size or taper? Interested to see the pic. I'll be at T3 Friday to drop off some parts and will ask about it. Maybe I'll bring a steering knuckle with me as well.

I asked gabriel about any issues he has heard of with these. He said he's already sold around 200 sets and the only thing he has heard is on the very early cars the ball joint pin is smaller, 11mm I think he said, compared to later models with a 17mm? taper pin.

• 1 month later...

Update: It's not clearing because of the AZC Roll Centre Adjusters/Steering knuckle. (They're adding about another inch or so) But usually, when you order aftermarket arms, chances are you have coils or some kind of lowering setup and RCA's are almost mandatory no? So I wonder why, T3 didn't consider this.